Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Farm Bill an Attack on Public Health

Farmer77

The classic left v right , class warfare angle of this bill is being covered but the real danger comes from the corporate welfare built into the bill : 

Here's How the GOP Farm Bill Is an Unapologetic Assault on Public Health

The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) has discovered at least six separate provisions in the farm bill meant to make it easier to use dangerous pesticides, even in cases where the neurological development of children could be under threat. The proposed legislation would lift restrictions on pesticides in drinking water and expedite the pesticide approval process, making it harder to ensure worker and community safety, for instance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

The GOP screwing over the little guy so the rich can get ahead? Why I am just shocked.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

The GOP screwing over the little guy so the rich can get ahead? Why I am just shocked.

These kinds of issues are where we should be holding our conservative friends accountable. Aside from the more absurd (rhymes with craven walk :lol:) no one honestly believes this is a good thing.

No citizen wants cancer causing pesticides in their food, water or unborn babies (not making that up Crop Pesticides Found in Unborn Babies ) yet somehow getting a W over "the other side" is worth supporting folks who actually do want to put it there for their own profits.

• Like 2

You mean this one?

Oh, wait, that was an Obama-era abortion.... 

Can't be critical of that one, eh?  :o

Okay, lets see here, what do we have for 2018?

Once again, 80% is used to fund SNP (Food Stamps)  so.... wow, not much is changed. 

Strange, I never see much interest in this sort of thing here.  Looks like anything that can be twisted around to look bad for Trump or any other non-Democrat alive today get Page One treatment.

And lets face it, if there was no Trump, you guys would be every bit as amped to annihilate whoever else #1 on the other side of the aisle happened to be,

Now, the strategy is simple; block the Farm Bill by any Hook or Crook available, then attack attack attack the Republicans running in the mid-terms for not getting a farm bill passed when it was the Democrats/Media that did most of the blocking in the first damn place.  Problem is, the Rebubs are so weak and stupid that they will probably just let them get away with it.

And if I am right, what this country needs most of all is a 3rd Party.

Trump is the last chance the GOP has to prove that it represents the people that vote for it. Blow it this time, and you clowns will go where the Whig Party went. 

• Like 3

The farm bill is slated to have protections for farmers from going bankrupt in this current trade war as well as money for mental health to help slow the rural suicide rate.  The R's in my state have been talking about it quite a bit on the radio and the impression I get is that it is a slam dunk bill.  Hence all the pork being added on.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Aquila King said:

Are you talking about the little farmer guys paying slave wages to illegal immigrants?  :innocent:

I don't think you have any idea to what extent these illegal immigranta are being exploited. Don't expect me to spell it out for you.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AnchorSteam said:

Now, the strategy is simple; block the Farm Bill by any Hook or Crook available, then attack attack attack the Republicans running in the mid-terms for not getting a farm bill passed when it was the Democrats/Media that did most of the blocking in the first damn place.  Problem is, the Rebubs are so weak and stupid that they will probably just let them get away with it.

Why not just have a bipartisan farm bill that works for everybody to some extent?  Instead of riders that were paid for by chemical companies, maybe helping farmers if there are trade sanctions and fixing this would serve us all better.

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

Are you talking about the little farmer guys paying slave wages to illegal immigrants?  :innocent:

I don't think you have any idea to what extent these illegal immigranta are being exploited. Don't expect me to spell it out for you.

Anchor, Obama did some sucky things.  So did  George Bush and Bill Clinton.  Not much we can do about those guys now except get smarter. President Trump is in charge.  Now he gets the love and the heat both. 

So OK, 3rd party of what?  Where do they stake their ground?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AnchorSteam said:

And lets face it, if there was no Trump, you guys would be every bit as amped to annihilate whoever else #1 on the other side of the aisle happened to be,

I would but I think you're only seeing half the picture. If there was no Trump I would still be every bit as amped to annihilate whoever else was #1 in our current oligarchy/corporatocracy but I don't give a rats ass about their party. Pesticides in food is bad, finding pesticides in unborn babies is super bad. Writing laws which makes it easier for companies to get rich while putting pesticides there should be treated as an attack on our population. Regardless of party. 

The fact that you delved into whataboutism rather than simply recognizing that pushing corporate interests over the health of our citizens speaks volumes. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Why not just have a bipartisan farm bill that works for everybody to some extent?  Instead of riders that were paid for by chemical companies, maybe helping farmers if there are trade sanctions and fixing this would serve us all better.

I would LOVE that, but since 80% of the "farm' bill is actually being used to pay for that SNAP crap, it seems like a lost cause already.

14 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Anchor, Obama did some sucky things.  So did  George Bush and Bill Clinton.  Not much we can do about those guys now except get smarter. President Trump is in charge.  Now he gets the love and the heat both. 

So OK, 3rd party of what?  Where do they stake their ground?

By representing the people that voted for Trump, which the GOP is clearly incapable of doing. 

9 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

I would but I think you're only seeing half the picture. If there was no Trump I would still be every bit as amped to annihilate whoever else was #1 in our current oligarchy/corporatocracy but I don't give a rats ass about their party.

So you railed loud & long against Obama, eh?

Yeah, didn't think so.

Pesticides in food is bad, finding pesticides in unborn babies is super bad. Writing laws which makes it easier for companies to get rich while putting pesticides there should be treated as an attack on our population. Regardless of party. 

Not so sure about that. I recall the con-game that got DDT taken off the market, and millions of people in the 3rd world die of Malaria every year.

Roundup is nasty and should go, its just cyanide, but then we have Opiods that nothing but Heroin and the b******* market that too.... damn them to Hell forever....

The fact that you delved into whataboutism rather than simply recognizing that pushing corporate interests over the health of our citizens speaks volumes. 

No, this is a good cause, none better. But the fact that it has already been pre-packaged by the Corporate media speaks volumes to ME.

It has been turned into a Trump issue to turn half of us against the other half and ensure that we block each other from doing anything about it!

Just like always.

Yes, Pork-barrel spending is evil, Yes- this is a bureaucratic abuse of power that must be stopped... but unless Trump wrote the Bill, he is nothing but a Red Herring here.  Can we drop the us vs. other us, ever, and get something good done?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AnchorSteam said:

So you railed loud & long against Obama, eh?

Yeah, didn't think so

Then you'd be wrong. While I missed the first half of his administration due to life I did become pretty active towards the latter part of his administration and believe it or not I never once voted for him.

I'm certainly not putting forth the effort but you are welcome to peruse the sites history and see for yourself. 

21 minutes ago, AnchorSteam said:

Not so sure about that. I recall the con-game that got DDT taken off the market, and millions of people in the 3rd world die of Malaria every year.

Please look into it then. We're literally finding the stuff (and lots more)  in unborn babies and umbilical cords The Pollution in Newborns A benchmark investigation of industrial chemicals, pollutants and pesticides in umbilical cord blood .

That isn't even touching the environmental impact Trump Administration Seeks to Delay Findings on Pesticides Read Newsmax Article: Trump Administration Seeks to Delay Findings on Pesticides  

27 minutes ago, AnchorSteam said:

No, this is a good cause, none better. But the fact that it has already been pre-packaged by the Corporate media speaks volumes to ME.

It has been turned into a Trump issue to turn half of us against the other half and ensure that we block each other from doing anything about it!

Just like always.

That is a good perspective. 

31 minutes ago, AnchorSteam said:

Yes, Pork-barrel spending is evil, Yes- this is a bureaucratic abuse of power that must be stopped... but unless Trump wrote the Bill, he is nothing but a Red Herring here.  Can we drop the us vs. other us, ever, and get something good done?

I can concede that Trump didn't write the bill but its not like we don't know about it when Trump doesn't like something. Its a failing of leadership, he is the leader, and this fits with his overall theme of corporate welfare at the cost of the citizenry. Which for the sake of continuity I will concede is not just a Trump issue, he's just the one doing it now. 

3 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Then you'd be wrong...

Well thank god (or whoever is standing in for the old kook)  for small favors!

Please look into it then. We're literally finding the stuff (and lots more)  in unborn babies and umbilical cords The Pollution in Newborns A benchmark investigation of industrial chemicals, pollutants and pesticides in umbilical cord blood .

That isn't even touching the environmental impact Trump Administration Seeks to Delay Findings on Pesticides Read Newsmax Article: Trump Administration Seeks to Delay Findings on Pesticides  

That is a good perspective. 

here is an ever better one-

I can concede that Trump didn't write the bill but its not like we don't know about it when Trump doesn't like something. Its a failing of leadership, he is the leader, and this fits with his overall theme of corporate welfare at the cost of the citizenry. Which for the sake of continuity I will concede is not just a Trump issue, he's just the one doing it now. 

He can't be everywhere at once, and just because negative stories about him are the lead story every hour of every day.... well, that in itself ought to make you wonder.

And there is a difference between "delaying" with all those ominous overtones,  and wanting to scientifically verify what is in those reports.  The EPA has been up to some very shady stuff over the years, and I woudn't trust them any more than I would a suddenly repentant Rocket-man in North Korea. 

10 hours ago, AnchorSteam said:

He can't be everywhere at once, and just because negative stories about him are the lead story every hour of every day.... well, that in itself ought to make you wonder.

As someone who has entirely too much time on his hands I devour pretty much all news I can get my hands on right, left , Russian, brit etc. That's a large part of why I'm so passionate about this conversation. There is no wondering. The **** going on right now is a straight up con/grift and to be completely honest its so far out of the norm its damn near coup adjacent. 

I do wish some of the more superfluous fluff stories would go away so we can focus on the bigger scandals but even the small stories with him seem to be just absurd. I.e his diet. I know conservatives have made gold out of bashing the "liberal" media for talking about Trump's diet but dear God he's a 71 year old man who eats like a stoned teenager. He is the living antonym of a role model and since he's POTUS that is worth talking about. 

10 hours ago, AnchorSteam said:

And there is a difference between "delaying" with all those ominous overtones,  and wanting to scientifically verify what is in those reports.  The EPA has been up to some very shady stuff over the years, and I woudn't trust them any more than I would a suddenly repentant Rocket-man in North Korea. 

I could see a little value that position if the current head of the EPA hadn't been caught literally taking a memo written by a corporation, placing his state letterhead on it, signing it and submitting it to Washington as his own.  In 2011, Scott Pruitt got a letter from an oil company, put his letterhead on it, and sent it to the EPA

Not to mention his bizarre obsession with secrecy Watchdog finds EPA broke law by spending $43K on Scott Pruitt's soundproof booth and not telling Congress

And of course considering how this administration has gutted the science departments its pretty hard to take any notion that they care about the science seriously. 

Edited by Farmer77

12 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

I do wish some of the more superfluous fluff stories would go away so we can focus on the bigger scandals but even the small stories with him seem to be just absurd. I.e his diet. I know conservatives have made gold out of bashing the "liberal" media for talking about Trump's diet but dear God he's a 71 year old man who eats like a stoned teenager. He is the living antonym of a role model and since he's POTUS that is worth talking about. 

1- Gossip should not be worth anyone's time, no matter how much of it you have.

2- 95% of this sort of crap turns out to be false anyway, and he can certainly afford to eat better than that... and being a New Yorker he has access to anything he likes. 

3- at 71, if this is true.... changing now would probably kill him

4- Why has there never ever been a single one of these silly little stories that might possibly reflect positively on Trump? Why do every single one of them have only negatives about him, as if they were pre-inspected and cleansed ahead of time to ensure that nothing could be spun in a way that might possibly look good for that man?

Scripted, like a "reality TV" show.

I could see a little value that position if the current head of the EPA hadn't been caught literally taking a memo written by a corporation, placing his state letterhead on it, signing it and submitting it to Washington as his own.  In 2011, Scott Pruitt got a letter from an oil company, put his letterhead on it, and sent it to the EPA

I m looking at both of those, and they are both to the same person, I can't stroll down to see who they are from.

But again, the EPA is a weird place, no arguments there.

43k$?  Pfft, that isn't even a rounding error in D.C., total chump-change in that damn place.

But, it is interesting to note that the Dems are all up in arms about the possibility of spying on Trumps appointees being interfered with.

And of course considering how this administration has gutted the science departments its pretty hard to take any notion that they care about the science seriously. 

If those agencies are involved with the Global Warming con-game, gut them some more!