Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Red & yellow paint found on the Antonine Wall

Still Waters

University of Glasgow archaeologist using cutting edge technology on remnants of the Antonine Wall has shown parts of it were painted in bright colours.

Dr. Louisa Campbell's research, which has used x-ray and laser technology to analyse parts of the Roman Empire's most north-western frontier, showed it was painted with vibrant red and yellows.

She said these vibrant coloured stones were Roman propaganda against the indigenous local communities: "The public are accustomed to seeing these sculptures in bland greys, creams, white (for marble) and don't get the full impact that they would have had on the Roman and indigenous audiences 2000 years ago.

https://phys.org/news/2018-04-archaeologist-red-yellow-antonine-wall.html

• Like 4

I read some time ago that most of the statues were painted. Really gives a different perspective. I have always associated Roman work with concrete color :D

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BorizBadinov said:

I read some time ago that most of the statues were painted. Really gives a different perspective. I have always associated Roman work with concrete color :D

Well Roman, Egyptian and other ancient walls, murals, statues etc were once painted in bright vivid colours that have just faded away over time.

a0dae3e6df6e027e15af1adbff1525db.jpg

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 1