Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Twin Flame or Anima and Animus?

Marion Jenis

My personal feeling is that the adherents of the New Age Movement are guilty of self-indulgence when they propose that each of us has a Twin Flame waiting to bring us love, meaning, and happiness. The Twin Flame can be described as a kind of Über-Soulmate, for he or she is our other half, with whom we were one when our soul was created by God or “Source” (a familiar New Age term).

The idea of the Twin Flame was first proposed in Plato’s Symposium, but it was not Socrates who spoke about it. Aristophanes tells the story of the original human beings, who had two heads, two bodies, and eight limbs. Therefore we do not know whether Plato endorsed the idea, held it up for ridicule, or simply presented it as a curiosity. 

In contrast to the idea of the Twin Flame, Carl Jung proposed that we each have an internal image of the opposite sex, which he calls the Anima or Animus. The Anima is the feminine image in a man’s psyche; the Animus is the masculine image in a woman’s psyche. The Latin words Anima and Animus are ancient, and mean “soul"---but Carl Jung’s use of them is fairly new.

The Anima or Animus are projected onto a suitable person, someone who evokes the inner image because of a suitable physical appearance, feeling nature, or quality of intellect.

At the present time we do not have the insight, discernment, or knowledge to tell whether the New Age idea or the Jungian idea is correct. One or the other may accord with a particular paradigm or world view. Accordingly, the choice of which to believe is a personal one, not really a scientific one. But the philosophy that underlies our science can offer us a helpful tool---Occam’s razor.

Occam’s razor states that the explanation that is simpler and makes fewer assumptions is the more likely one. It is clear to me that it is simpler and easier to believe that the person with whom I have fallen in love matches my inner image and expectation of a woman, than to believe that she and no one else is my original “other half”. It is when we find seven or eight of these “other halves” in succession that we begin to doubt that there is a Twin Flame. And yet that is a common experience.

The Twin Flame idea had a deleterious effect upon me while I believed in it. It led me to believe that my happiness depended on finding a particular person---the only one out of billions of possibilities. Carl Jung’s ideas, on the contrary, lead me to examine myself and search for the ways in which my irrational expectations cause me to love someone. The Jungian idea leads to self-sufficiency.

Depth Psychology since the time of Jung acknowledges that men may have an Animus and women may have an Anima. The reason for this is that many of us are androgynous to some extent. An androgynous person can say, “I have my twin within me, as me. I do not search for my other half among others, but in myself.”

Edited by Marion Jenis
clarity
  • Thanks 1

Yes, we could go on forever searching for our perfect mate. I think we all at some moment must 'settle' for a mate that may not be our Twin Flame or Anima or Animus, yet fulfills our expectations well enough.

• Like 2

I have a theory about Twin Flames that provides a less conventional explanation.

I believe that what some call "God" is the center our souls come from and return to when necessary.

Our souls are comprised of 'facets', which are common or individual pieces of our spiritual make-up, all split off from the whole.  How connected the facets in two people are, the stronger or weaker the synergy, on a scale of 'stranger' to 'soulmate'.

Edited by acute
  • Like 2

Depends on who is buying the drinks, really ...

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

They used to call it "soul mates" and now keep taking "twin flames" to mean the same thing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

They used to call it "soul mates" and now keep taking "twin flames" to mean the same thing. 

Many of the New Age teachers continue to use the term "soul mate" and take it to mean nothing more than souls with whom we have had relationships in past lives. Meanwhile, the term "Shadow Flame" has been created to talk about the people who seemed to be Twin Flames but were not, and who caused us to suffer in failed relationships.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marion Jenis said:

Many of the New Age teachers continue to use the term "soul mate" and take it to mean nothing more than souls with whom we have had relationships in past lives. Meanwhile, the term "Shadow Flame" has been created to talk about the people who seemed to be Twin Flames but were not, and who caused us to suffer in failed relationships.

That is interesting, a shadow flame ... had not heard of this one yet, but I just do not see the difference if both a soul mate and a twin flame are supposed to be basically "The One" for romance. It seems like the same cereal in a different box is all. The term "twin flame" was taught to me a different way and I like that concept. But with all this cross usage it will have to be a phrase I do not use, I guess. Back in the 70s a soul mate was a lover, not just someone you felt an affinity with. Supposedly THE One, just as Twin flame is being used now by some. 

You are right, and if you attend the New Age expos you will find that there are fashions in thought that seem to grip the majority of the speakers and authors. The latest book, if it is popular, becomes a source of dogma. I am still thinking about the doctrine of the "5th dimension", which is repeated by dozens of speakers without any real comprehension of the term. At least I for one do not perceive how their 5th dimension has anything to do with the first four, the 3 dimensions of the physical world and the 4th, which is time. The 5th dimension seems to mean the "etheric plane". I liked the old term better, for it was more honest and did not pretend to be mathematical. That is an example of the way in which certain terms become fashionable. Maybe the term "soul mate" will become standard again in a few years. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hope you'll understand me because I am not an English native speaker. I ve meet my twin flame but I have to say I rather say it my archetype.  Because I still atende jungs psychoanalysis.  

We are not together, but it is very interesting, because I learn more about me than ever. But it depend on each childhood. Our path was similar, but he is a man and I a woman and with different family background (I had psychopathic mother, he had different bad staff). But we both during this funny interaction's with a lot of transes realizem that we are both empath. I cant say our interactions are romantic etc, like is written in the books, it is very magnetic, I can't describe. A cording to jung it is my archetype who I was in loved when I was 8 years old girl. So I've remembered everything. But the life made us different... so I don't know if we will be ever together, because each of us has to clean up the bagged in mind. 

• Like 1

And in my heart I know it is the man exactly for me, if i listen to my heart and his soul i have to say i love him in the way ive never loved anyone. But as I said each has the baggage (not in the bad way) who has to handle with expressions. Maybe for me is easier, because I don't have any doubt and because I don't have any guilt in me anymore and all I want from man is pure honesty, love, devotion nothing less and nothing more because I belive this is enough. But on his side I think he still didn't awake for example that he thinks the money and his children are a barrier. Which I don't think they are, because children's are something pure, honest. And the money is not important. 

Because I believe that when you really open yourheart and if you are with the right person and when you have a job you really like not because of the money but because you can work with your pure emotions, the money is never the problem. 

But in materialistic world with full of wrong expectations what it has to be or what is according to the trends and other "rules", it's hard to clean persons soul on the level, that first is love to yourself and others and nature and animals, second is materialism or rules.  

And in my passed path I have to say that on unconscious I've search for him all my life...so I ve dated similar man, but because I didn't know nothing about empathy, ( because my mother is a psychopath) I've dated man without empathy towards me. So my past 13 years long relationship was empath-emotional psychopath. 

And we don't look a like... the same is energy frequency... I cant shout on him (he the same), but I can shout on him using big letters in email. That's so interesting. I'm expiriencing this for the first time in my life. You know when you are angry you lift a voice, but with him I don't even if I am so so angry...thats so beautifull.. But in emails I am terrible somethimes. I was so eager to help him realise his "enigma (bad family patterns)", that sometimes I was very nonpolite, offensive etc. And I think we are the best match in bed/sex. In general I think we are both good wild... having a god touch for different roles (gentle way, passion way, wild way, etc).

On 4/22/2018 at 7:13 PM, Marion Jenis said:

You are right, and if you attend the New Age expos you will find that there are fashions in thought that seem to grip the majority of the speakers and authors. The latest book, if it is popular, becomes a source of dogma. I am still thinking about the doctrine of the "5th dimension", which is repeated by dozens of speakers without any real comprehension of the term. At least I for one do not perceive how their 5th dimension has anything to do with the first four, the 3 dimensions of the physical world and the 4th, which is time. The 5th dimension seems to mean the "etheric plane". I liked the old term better, for it was more honest and did not pretend to be mathematical. That is an example of the way in which certain terms become fashionable. Maybe the term "soul mate" will become standard again in a few years. 

I have the same problem with the 5th dimension talk in the new age community.  It often is used to mean "I am special because I am a 5th dimensional being", but in reality any human who can think beyond of time and space is thinking in the 5th dimension.  It is actually just a semi-mathmatical way of saying our minds are the 5th dimension in my opinion.  Other wise it has no meaning as they are trying to describe a non-math concept with a math term.

• Like 1

I was convinced that I'd met my "twin flame" during a really traumatic period in my life.

I got it all - seeing his name on advertising, on petrol bowsers, seeing synchronised numbers whenever I was going to see him or he was on his way to me. He said outloud everything that was on my mind. He gave me knowing looks like we had this intense connection and deep, intricate knowing of each others souls. He offered the strength, safety and protection that I deeply needed and desired. I was in a DV relationship at the time and he was one of my boyfriend's closest friends.

He just wanted to see how far he could get with me. I thought that deep down, he loved me and that he was the Ying to my Yang. He was the evil twin and I was the good one. I felt like we'd balance each other out. I knew I had a horribly dark side within me and I could see that despite his life of crime and violence, he had a gentle and loving side to him.

I was inundated with "twin flame" references on social media during that time. Everything felt like a sign that screamed, "YES! THIS IS THE OTHER HALF OF YOUR SOUL!"

And so I cheated on my abusive, violent boyfriend. I knew this would end our relationship. I wanted to hurt him just as badly as he'd made me suffer for the past two years and I felt as though my twin flame would rescue me from the ashes of my failed, horrific relationship.

He used me. He very quickly got back with the mother of his son after that. He only ever visited me when he wanted to hook up and would leave as soon as he got what he wanted. He didn't actually want to know me or to spend any time with me. He'd just groomed me up and played on my emotions for his own gratification.

I realised that I would have taken longer to escape my relationship, if at all, had I not believed in twin flames. It's what convinced me to just go for it and chase what I wanted and believed in. It was wrong, but it got me out of there.

I think that as one 'wakes up' and begins a spiritual journey and starts to realise the power and imbalance of the ego over their lives, that this is just a natural part of that process.

It's the same with how every "enlightened" person likes to identify as "woke", "lightworker", "empath" - they say that they hate the human race, they want to 'go home', they don't feel like they belong here, they list off all their psychic abilities at every opportunity they can...

Hell, I did it! I was the 'indigo, lightworker, empathic healer' who was 'sent' here to heal humanity one person at a time even though I couldn't bear how cruel and horrible humans are to each other. It was a way of still entertaining the ego by distancing oneself from the 'others' and remaining special and retaining an identity.

It's the same for twin flames and soulmates. They reckon there's only 144 000 lightworkers/twin flames out there - so those who believe in it believe that they're one of a very small number of holy soulful beings who have come to save the planet.

It breaks my heart to see so many people (particularly but not limited to, a lot of women) who are so stuck in the twin flame concept that they're obsessing over people who aren't romantically interested in them, who are in relationships with other people and who are abusive to the believer - or even all of the above. And people who are leaving healthy relationships and even marriages and families because they've fallen so hard for this concept of twin flames.

It's so toxic!

It's literally just a matter of manifestation - whatever people put their focus and energy into most, it becomes real to them. They will begin to see whatever they're believing they're seeing. They'll believe in the telepathy. They'll experience realistic dreams where they believe they've been visited by their twin. They'll see the synchronised numbers and names and words everywhere because their consciousness is literally actively looking for that stuff. We don't realise just how much we naturally filter OUT because it's not important but once we're telling ourselves that it's important, it'll become a lot more noticable to our conscious mind!

• Like 2

@jypsijemini as someone said to me once "follow spirit without hesitation and when you realize you are not following spirit, then follow spirit without hesitation."  We have a process that is set up for us in this experience and no one gets to jump ahead of the line.  Keep up the good work of sharing your understandings.  I have been through a similar process, but not with soul mates or twin flames.  By the time I ever heard of those I was cynical about that ideaolgy that we are less than whole until we meet our other half.  That is the lie that keeps us from experiencing self assurance and the love of self that gives us compassion and understanding for others.  We are easier to control when we think we are incomplete and are constantly looking for our "other half".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2020 at 4:11 AM, Desertrat56 said:

@jypsijemini as someone said to me once "follow spirit without hesitation and when you realize you are not following spirit, then follow spirit without hesitation."  We have a process that is set up for us in this experience and no one gets to jump ahead of the line.  Keep up the good work of sharing your understandings.  I have been through a similar process, but not with soul mates or twin flames.  By the time I ever heard of those I was cynical about that ideaolgy that we are less than whole until we meet our other half.  That is the lie that keeps us from experiencing self assurance and the love of self that gives us compassion and understanding for others.  We are easier to control when we think we are incomplete and are constantly looking for our "other half".

Your wisdom AND openness to learning are inspiring.

Thank you, @Desertrat56 xx

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 3:41 AM, Desertrat56 said:

We are easier to control when we think we are incomplete and are constantly looking for our "other half".

Something I have heard from a few people over the years, that they need someone to "complete" them. Pretty tragic, really, if you don't think you are lovable the way you are, then no-one else will, either. People who project neediness, repel normal people, who are not attracted to the idea of acquiring a limpet, but do attract those that sense weakness, and have a will to exploit it.

• Like 1