Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cows could end up as world's largest mammals

UM-Bot

Why are they warning us about it? It's not a problem at all and most people don't care.

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Essan said:

You mean you don't care if we make the elephants, rhinos, buffalo, whales, giraffes.

No, I dont. Extinction is a normal state of affairs. 99% of all species that have ever lived are extinct.

A lot of other people do care.  

I suspect the vast majority of people don't care. It has no bearing or effect on most people's lives and serves no detrimental effect to the planet and almost all humans.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

I suspect the vast majority of people don't care. It has no bearing or effect on most people's lives and serves no detrimental effect to the planet and almost all humans.

You sure about that last part? That's a massive cut to take and miss. 

When we look at things like what happened to Yellowstone when wolves were reintroduced and the effect that had on everything from fish to fowl I have to think that losing pieces of our ecosystem unnaturally will undoubtedly have negative consequences on humanity. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

You sure about that last part? That's a massive cut to take and miss. 

When we look at things like what happened to Yellowstone when wolves were reintroduced and the effect that had on everything from fish to fowl I have to think that losing pieces of our ecosystem unnaturally will undoubtedly have negative consequences on humanity. 

Wolves went extinct in Britain (probably as recently as 1888) and as far as I know it had little or zero detrimental effect. In fact, most people most likely don't want them back.

99% of all Earth's species that have ever lived are extinct. If there are suddenly no more giraffes or elephants then so what?

Edited by Black Monk
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

Wolves went extinct in Britain (probably as recently as 1888) and as far as I know it had little or zero detrimental effect.

Well, it's a contributory factor in the massive over population of deer, subsequent lack of native woodland regeneration, and, indeed, until recently, why people were prevented form climbing half Scotland's hills (so the Laird and his chums could shoot the deer that otherwise wouldn't have needed culling).   Hence why there are calls to reintroduce them. 

And whilst most people may not notice if there are no more hippos or saltwater crocodiles, smaller species are a different matter.  Take away the birds and the bees .......  :w00t::cry:

40 minutes ago, Essan said:

Hence why there are calls to reintroduce them.

By a few Greenpeacers, Swampies and ecomentalists, but the vast majority of ordinary Britons are indifferent to the matter and care not one jolt for the extinction of the wolf in this land.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Confused 1

They will be the largest ONLY if we continue to eat them.

• Confused 1

Black Monk may speak for themself but not for me, nor a great many other people I would suspect. Do not take it upon yourself to decide what other people think or feel. For myself, any species which dies out because of man�s actions is to be regretted.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm with George Carlin on this.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Essan said:

And whilst most people may not notice if there are no more hippos or saltwater crocodiles, smaller species are a different matter.  Take away the birds and the bees .......  :w00t::cry:

Then we will be no more but an Evolutionary ink splodge on the page of Planet Earth's book of life.Earth will go on recover and eventually be consumed by our Parent Star.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I thought this might be a depressing thread given the title...

...then I read the replies

:angry: :td:

• Like 1

... and human meat will soon going to serve in restaurants across Asia. We're doing well!
Let's cut some more forests to have more paper to wipe out fat asses.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Susanc241 said:

Black Monk may speak for themself but not for me, nor a great many other people I would suspect. Do not take it upon yourself to decide what other people think or feel. For myself, any species which dies out because of man�s actions is to be regretted.

I believe I speak for most people.

• Confused 1

What about Orcas? They are fairly large and alot population and what about Elk?

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

Americans only represent 4.4% of humanity.

86% of those surveyed in China supported a ban on ivory trading in an effort to save the elephants:

https://www.worldwildlife.org/press-releases/consumers-in-china-widely-support-upcoming-ivory-ban-but-awareness-is-low-largest-ever-ivory-consumer-survey-finds#

That's another 20% of the world's population.

Need I continue ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Saru said:

86% of those surveyed in China supported a ban on ivory trading in an effort to save the elephants:

https://www.worldwildlife.org/press-releases/consumers-in-china-widely-support-upcoming-ivory-ban-but-awareness-is-low-largest-ever-ivory-consumer-survey-finds#

That's another 20% of the world's population.

Need I continue ?

The Chinese are people who still keep animals in captivity to provide entertainment and keep dogs and cats in tiny little cages in markets. I don't think they've suddenly become as concerned about animal welfare as that biased poll makes them out to be.

I rather suspect that if elephants suddenly disappeared completely, the vast majority of China's 1.4 billion inhabitants and the world's 7.6 billion inhabitants wouldn't give two hoots. Most people have far more pressing concerns.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

I rather suspect that if elephants suddenly disappeared completely, the vast majority of China's 1.4 billion inhabitants and the world's 7.6 billion inhabitants wouldn't give two hoots.

What you mean is that you wouldn't give two hoots.

I'm sure the vast majority of people will be conscious of such a loss, one way or another.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Black Monk said:

I believe I speak for most people.

As you say you "speak for most people" I'm sure that you must be able to supply a link to a study or poll that would confirm your assertion.

• Like 5

That is sad.

(  The question is, are we happy to suppose that our grandchildren may never be able to see an elephant except in a picture book ?

~ David Attenborough )

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I thought this was going to be a light-hearted topic saying that cows were evolving into something huge...

However, this reality (like always) is just depressing.

• Like 3

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 12:50 PM, Black Monk said:

Why are they warning us about it? It's not a problem at all and most people don't care.

I`m sorry but a warning is in order and you should be ashamed of yourself.

I expect the largest animal I ever eat a burger from to come from a cloned mammoth not a gigantic bovine. I want my mammoth burger!