Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meet the US military’s warship killer

Unusual Tournament

Meet the US military’s warship killer: These new missiles will sink enemy ships

ENEMIES of the United States will soon have to face a new devastating missile in the nation’s arsenal — a destroyer of enemy warships.

This new missile can penetrate deep into enemy space to sink their warships. Loaded with tech to make it “smart,” it both detects and destroys targets.

The Long Range Anti-Surface Missile (LRASM) is a missile that takes firepower in naval battles to a whole other level. In future naval encounters, the US military can unleash LRASMs to strike enemy warships from both the air and the sea.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/inventions/meet-the-us-militarys-warship-killer-these-new-missiles-will-sink-enemy-ships/news-story/fd790db8abaae9f016a04ef12eceea39

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unusual Tournament

• stevewinn

• Sir Wearer of Hats

• and-then

Top Posters In This Topic

Sooo... who do you think they’ll sell thrm to first? Russia? China? My money is on the Saudi.

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Sooo... who do you think they’ll sell thrm to first? Russia? China? My money is on the Saudi.

i don't think they're be rushing to sell them to anyone. and when they do, the usual suspect will raise their hands. Israel, Great Britain, Japan and Australia. the first platforms to integrate with the LRASM will be B-1 and FA-18E/F. being a F-18 user and good mate of the U.S. Australia might even be the first export launch customer. 

4 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Depending on the current administration in power when they actually become available, my money would be on Israel getting them first. Of course, selling them to Japan, Australia or Taiwan would create a crapstorm overnight...  

8 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

The United Kingdom.

As its a perfect replacement for Harpoon. plus we'll have the platforms the F35 and Type 26 Frigates which are to be fitted with the MK41 launch system. (strike length) plus the P8-poseidon is rumoured to eventually carry LRASM. so the UK will have at least three platforms.

The fact where trying to sell our Type 26 design to Australia then it would make sense to include the MK41.

There is a Anglo-French Anti-Ship missile programme development as started but the in-service date is 2030 onwards. So Harpoon gone 2021, LRASM in-service 2023, plus it fits in nicely with the replacement programme for the Type 45 Destroyer. 2025-2030.

The West is behind the curve when it comes to Anti-shipping missiles, because the lack of ship on ship action; The likes of China and Russia have quietly been building their anti-ship capability and now there is a mad rush to replace Harpoon.

14 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

The West is behind the curve when it comes to Anti-shipping missiles, because the lack of ship on ship action; The likes of China and Russia have quietly been building their anti-ship capability and now there is a mad rush to replace Harpoon.

(Speaking for the US) does the fact that our navy is much larger play a role? Meaning it's somewhat redundant to have anti-ship missiles when you have ships/aircraft carriers to handle them in the first place?

2 hours ago, internetperson said:

(Speaking for the US) does the fact that our navy is much larger play a role? Meaning it's somewhat redundant to have anti-ship missiles when you have ships/aircraft carriers to handle them in the first place?

its got to be the perceived lack of threat, and yet at the same time soft kill, decoys and CIW have been coming on leaps and bounds.

1 hour ago, seanjo said:

The French and the UK are collaborating on a new missile I believe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perseus_(missile)