Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Decapitated wasp grabs its head & flies away

Still Waters

This is the incredible moment a decapitated wasp manages to locate its missing head and fly off with it between its legs.

In the clip the insect can be seen scrambling around as its front legs reach for his head which is lay nearby.

The frantic flying creature flaps its wings and legs as it feels for his missing head which he quickly finds.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5639453/Incredible-moment-decapitated-wasp-flies-missing-head.html?ito=video_player_click#video

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I was just thinking the same. I'd like to bet that off camera it was bumping into walls and all sorts of other obstacles. Unless it remembered it's exact path back to where it came from. It can't have survived for much longer.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Stiff said:

I was just thinking the same. I'd like to bet that off camera it was bumping into walls and all sorts of other obstacles. Unless it remembered it's exact path back to where it came from. It can't have survived for much longer.

I can not see it lasting that long either, but they do not live that long anyway. Hopefully this poor wasp was at the end of his lifespan anyway:

In social wasps, workers (sterile females) have an average lifespan of 12-22 days, drones (fertile males) have a slightly longer lifespan than workers, and queens (fertile females) have an average lifespan of 12 months.

Wow.....there really is a difference between the workers and the 'elite' ..... now that is one similarity humans do have with wasps. But the elite humans do not necessarily live longer, they just have more money and luxuries.

• Like 5

Creepy.

Just what purpose do wasps serve?

Seems like they're just a scourge upon the Earth. 

• Like 9

I wanna watch the video, but... I.... just couldn't ewww

• Haha 2

Wasps have nerve clusters in their head but some insects also have small brains in other parts of their body. 

Therefore they are able to live and walk around without their heads however it restricts their ability to eat.  

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5639453/Incredible-moment-decapitated-wasp-flies-missing-head.html#ixzz5DPtzQ900
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Edited by DanniL90
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChaosRose said:

Creepy.

Just what purpose do wasps serve?

Seems like they're just a scourge upon the Earth. 

Ah...another thing in common between wasps and some humans. :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Gross. DX Poor thing.

• Like 2

It just shows that wasps and humans have one thing in common its where their brains are located...

• Like 1

That was disturbing and cool at the same time. But I got a headache just watching it.