Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atheism and faith

Only_

14 hours ago, davros of skaro said:

I just wanted to see if you had me on ignore. You have been ignoring my legitimate questions.

I wonder why?

That'd by very time-consuming and quite frankly, unnecessery to respond to each and everyone. I am very interested by the strong, emotional reactions I got. I read every single comment. But I think I may have touched a sensible nerve with some people.

Edited by Clockwork_Spirit

5 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Probably because you tell them so often. 

We are all deluded to believe in God, according to some prominent atheists anyway.

2rdkj13.jpg

4 minutes ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

That'd by very time-consuming and quite frankly, unnecessery to respond to each and everyone. I am very interested by the strong, emotional reactions I got. I read every single comment. But I think I may have touched a sensible nerve with some people.

And I personally think you get a kick out of frustrating rational people by preaching irrational concepts as if fact. You enjoy assaulting logic and fact and revel in the reactions that brings. 

Just an opinion mind you. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I didn't read that, so I have no frame of reference.

I'm not about to assume anything from the title. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

We are all deluded to believe in God, according to some prominent atheists anyway.

2rdkj13.jpg

Posting yet another dust cover you have not read? 

Go right ahead an explain the flaws in the arguments that very source offers. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

Seeing someone repeating logical fallacies is irritating. 

• Like 4

Think about it, though.

Part of most people's religion is to share it, right?

That's probably why atheists know so much about how theists are thinking. 

They're obliged to share how they're thinking. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Think about it, though.

Usually they do not know atheism beyond what apologetics, and what the Bible says about it anyway.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Think about it, though.

With indoctrination more people are exposed to religion than not. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I didn't read that, so I have no frame of reference.

I'm not about to assume anything from the title. 

One important point he focuses on is the indoctrination of children, how children are labelled a 'Christian child' or 'Muslim child' he states such removal of free will should make us cringe and I have to agree with him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Think about it, though.

Isn't it also the goal of atheist apologists to share why religion is bad and that atheism is actually better?

There is a whole atheistic litterature out there. One can easily know what many of them think.

ih34hw.jpg

vcxp36.jpg

Edited by Clockwork_Spirit

55 minutes ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

Isn't it also the goal of atheist apologists to share why religion is bad and that atheism is actually better?

Any assault on logic and common sense deserves to be challenged. 

There is a whole atheistic litterature out there. One can easily know what many of them think.

No, you just haven't read any of them but pretend to know what's in them just like how your are describing your view of atheists in this thread. 

ih34hw.jpg

vcxp36.jpg

They generally bring the sciences down to a layman level so people can think for themselves. The titles are often provocative to assist book sales, often the publisher 'influences' the title. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

Atheists seem to know a great deal about how religious people think, however.

Hi Clockwork

Many Atheists were religious at some point and wanted to see what answers the world has to questions ignored or answers that seemed may odd would be a fair descriptor.

jmccr8       

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Clockwork

Many Atheists were religious at some point and wanted to see what answers the world has to questions ignored or answers that seemed may odd would be a fair descriptor.

jmccr8       

There are atheists who became religious, too. What do you make of them?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

I see the evidence pointing to that they tripped over a stumbling block in our evolution. Just look around you, and see all sorts of people addicted to all sorts of things. Keep in mind that thoughts are just as a powerful motivator as drugs.

Now for the third try with this previous question;

A friend of mine is geeked over conspiracy theories, ancient aliens, and such. He will listen intently to a new conspiracy to check it out. But when I apply refutation to his conspiracy theories he ignores it, and will change to another.

Why is that?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

I honestly doubt they were really atheists to begin with. They just say that to get noticed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

I honestly doubt they were really atheists to begin with. They just say that to get noticed. 

This leans on the "No true Scotsman fallacy". But I see where you are coming from.

I'm not impressed by "I used to be an atheist". It's how one came to be this, or that is what's relevant to me. 

1rqrs1.jpg

wpid-https3a2f2f41-media_-tumblr-com2f6f

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

Atheists seem to know a great deal about how religious people think, however.

Once again.

Pot.

Kettle.

Black.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

Oh. My. Lord.

Is the reason you're not answering anyone the ringing cognitive dissonance in your ears?!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2018 at 10:11 PM, Clockwork_Spirit said:

No, it's not about influencing but making a case. The authors made a good case and that's why it's convincing.

This is known as confirmation bias.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

You sir are the one who looks for things other people have written or said to back up your own pov.

That you attempt to project your own bias on me is also very telling.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

No, not necessarily.  All atheists think religion is incorrect, not all think it is 'bad'.  

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

I view them as unfortunately not strong enough or intelligent enough to separate themselves from faith long enough to accept reason. Evidence-based thinking doesn't work for everyone. And you know what? That's fine! As long as they're quiet about it and keep it to themselves, and out of the government/schools/courts. They never do, because theists rarely keep silent, but those rare gems that keep it quiet are not harming anyone.

In the final analysis there's an element of faith in everything we choose to believe. We all have 'faith' in the reliability of our observational and rational powers to give us complete/correct information about the world/universe in which we live. This issue applies to the concept of God as well. Being strong or being able to accept reason just doesn't suffice for this particular question. In the end it all comes down to a personal choice, there's just no way around this one. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, davros of skaro said:

This leans on the "No true Scotsman fallacy". But I see where you are coming from.

I'm not impressed by "I used to be an atheist". It's how one came to be this, or that is what's relevant to me. 

1rqrs1.jpg

wpid-https3a2f2f41-media_-tumblr-com2f6f

I just cannot see a 'genuine' reversion can you? I can see people of science adopting religion as a moral compass, or even a hobby like activity, but I can't see a genuine bona-fide scientist reverting on evidence. Because there is none. There are whackos like Jonathan Wells who obviously have a screw loose, but the reasons why some revert are quite frankly pathetic. I remember reading of one such conversion where the claimant converted because she enjoyed Tolkien and he was  Christian. 

“I found that my favorite authors were men and women of deep Christian faith. C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien above all; and then the poets: Gerard Manley Hopkins, George Herbert, John Donne, and others. Their work was unsettling to my atheist convictions…”

Dr. Ordway

That's got nothing to do with science, as our devout acquaintance indicates when posting provocative dust covers and remember the real cent thread in Christianity needing atheists? 

I just can't see someone with a formal education renouncing real world discovery for faith unless they are that way inclined to begin with. Another supposed atheist turned Christian, professor of philosophy, Lorraine Murray, 

“In college I turned my back on Catholicism, my childhood faith, and became a radical, gender-bending feminist and a passionate atheist …. Reading Lewis, I found something that I must have been quietly hungering for all along, which was a reasoned approach to my childhood beliefs, which had centered almost entirely on emotion. As I turned the pages of this book, I could no longer ignore the Truth, nor turn my back on the Way and the Life. Little by little, and inch by inch, I found my way back to Jesus Christ and returned to the Catholic Church.”

That's not what I consider a conversion to faith based on evidence would you? I think they just sound like confused people seeking 'more out of life' 

https://www.wordonfire.org/resources/blog/why-atheists-change-their-mind-8-common-factors/4729/

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, joc said:

That you attempt to project your own bias on me is also very telling.

You said yourself that you are not reading any books that contradict your viewpoints. Only ones that agree with it.

That's confirmation bias.

• The topic was locked