Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atheism and faith

Only_

10 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

First of all this have nothing to do with wether he is right or wrong about the topic.

I don't think I have ever say that. As a matter of fact, I posted a solid refutation of his book.

Secondly as I understand it they are allegations. People are innocent until proven guilty, right ?

Absolutely.

It looks pretty bad though:

[LINK] He Became A Celebrity For Putting Science Before God. Now Lawrence Krauss Faces Allegations Of Sexual Misconduct.

Thirdly as a christian are you going to go with the sexual miscounduct angle ?  really ? :whistle:

That's fallacious, since I have nothing to do with the churches or religious individuals who did such things.

Edited by Brother_Spirit

1 hour ago, Brother_Spirit said:

That's fallacious, since I have nothing to do with the churches or religious individuals who did such things.

Take heed as well as great care towards where you cast that proverbial stone ....

~

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brother_Spirit said:

I don't think I have ever say that. As a matter of fact, I posted a solid refutation of his book.

As a matter of fact you posted, an incorrect and presumptuous, article to refute the book. You yourself didn't not refute anything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, danydandan said:

As a matter of fact you posted, an incorrect and presumptuous, article to refute the book. You yourself didn't not refute anything.

Did you know that David Albert is an atheist? He doesn't have a stake in this debate. To his credit, he's pointing out flaws when he sees them based on both science and philosophy. It's just so blatantly obvious in Krauss' book A Universe From Nothing.

[LINK] Atheist David Albert destroying Dumb New Book by naïve Atheist Krauss

Edited by Brother_Spirit

41 minutes ago, Brother_Spirit said:

Did you know that David Albert is an atheist? He doesn't have a stake in this debate. To his credit, he's pointing out flaws when he sees them based on both science and philosophy. It's just so blatantly obvious in Krauss' book A Universe From Nothing.

[LINK] Atheist David Albert destroying Dumb New Book by naïve Atheist Krauss

Don't care what his beliefs are it's irrelevant, he isn't pointing out flaws from a scientific point of view, just on philosophical grounds. David Albert is a philosopher not a scientist. His review of the book asked questions of the book, which the book doesn't attempt to answer, rather than arguing against premises the books makes, actually the book makes no claims.

Can I ask if you have read the book? I have and disagree with Krauss, I disagree more with Albert's review. If you wanted to argue against somethings in the book you should do it in your own words rather than using Google. Scientific American had a great article disagreeing with the views of Krauss.

Edit: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/is-lawrence-krauss-a-physicist-or-just-a-bad-philosopher/

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Brother_Spirit said:

And which heros would that be?

God, Moses, Joshua, David.. etc.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brother_Spirit said:

Seems like you are not following the discussions. David Albert has done a great job at refuting Krauss' A Universe From Nothing. What makes no sense is to present Krauss as 'superior' (''leading teams at the LHC'') to Albert, especially when Krauss' reputation isn't so glamorous right now to say the least.

But all you're doing is finding one scientist who disagrees with another one that you don't happen to like. I'm going to bet you don't really understand either argument, and as I say, its just a diversion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Emma_Acid said:

But all you're doing is finding one scientist who disagrees with another one that you don't happen to like. I'm going to bet you don't really understand either argument, and as I say, its just a diversion.

Albert isn't a scientist.

• Thanks 1

Just now, danydandan said:

Welllll he did his doctorate in theoretical physics, but you're right, he's a philosopher. 

Either way, my point stands. B_S is just finding one academic who disagrees with someone he doesn't like and claims it as a victory - almost certainly without understanding either argument.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Emma_Acid said:

Welllll he did his doctorate in theoretical physics, but you're right, he's a philosopher. 

Either way, my point stands. B_S is just finding one academic who disagrees with someone he doesn't like and claims it as a victory - almost certainly without understanding either argument.

Yeap, what's worse is the whole thing is an ad hominem. I also seriously doubt the poster has read the work being argued about.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Emma_Acid said:

Interesting how his initials are BS.:lol:

Edited by Truthseeker007
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 5/19/2018 at 5:52 PM, Brother_Spirit said:

I'm responding to a claim. Krauss isn't ''leading teams at the LHC''.. The reality is that he currently suspended with pay by his own University and various skeptic associations have taken their distances with him based on serious allegations...

The LHC isn't Arizona University so you're not responding to the claim. It's smear. 

On 5/19/2018 at 5:52 PM, Brother_Spirit said:

Not a ''hero'' I'd want to push at this point in time.

You'd prefer a mysoginistic genocidal sexual deviate then. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, danydandan said:

He is trained as a physicist.

He received his bachelor's degree in physics from Columbia College (1976) and his doctorate in theoretical physics from The Rockefeller University (1981) under Professor Nicola Khuri.[1] Afterwards he worked with Professor Yakir Aharonov of Tel Aviv University.

Albert has published three books (Quantum Mechanics and Experience (1992), Time and Chance (2000) and After Physics(2015)), as well as numerous articles on quantum mechanics. His books have been both praised and criticized for their informal, conversational style. In 2015, he was elected a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Albert

He's on a level playing field with Krauss. If anything, he has one advantage: He knows about philosophical reasoning, which Krauss is severely lacking.

Edited by Brother_Spirit

10 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

God, Moses, Joshua, David.. etc.

Are you comparing Lawrence Krauss with people from a culture more than 2000 years ago?

20 minutes ago, Brother_Spirit said:

He is trained as a physicist.

He received his bachelor's degree in physics from Columbia College (1976) and his doctorate in theoretical physics from The Rockefeller University (1981) under Professor Nicola Khuri.[1] Afterwards he worked with Professor Yakir Aharonov of Tel Aviv University.

Albert has published three books (Quantum Mechanics and Experience (1992), Time and Chance (2000) and After Physics(2015)), as well as numerous articles on quantum mechanics. His books have been both praised and criticized for their informal, conversational style. In 2015, he was elected a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Albert

He's on a level playing field with Krauss. If anything, he has one advantage: He knows about philosophical reasoning, which Krauss is severely lacking.

Dara O'Briain studied theoretical physics, now he's a comedian. Just because you study something doesn't mean you can work at what you studied. Albert may have studied physics, but he is working as a philosophical lecturer. He isn't anywhere near the forefront of research like Krauss is ( was before the sexual misconduct allegations.).

I actually like Albert, he should have sued them makers of that crappy documentary that took him out of context.

Also just because someone has a PhD doesn't make them on a level playing field. There is a reason why Kruass is considered a leading scientist and Albert is a teacher.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2013/sep/15/dara-obriain-interview

Edited by danydandan
  • Thanks 2

I thought the whole point of spiritual faith was to believe without proof? So? Why look for proof? I mean, isn't that what "Going on faith" is all about? No proof.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I thought the whole point of spiritual faith was to believe without proof? So? Why look for proof? I mean, isn't that what "Going on faith" is all about? No proof.

It seems people need to justify their beliefs to others, by trying to get proof because...... I don't know why.

• Like 7

Just now, danydandan said:

It seems people need to justify their beliefs to others, by trying to get proof because...... I don't know why.

I think I do. It might be due to their own doubts. So they look for something solid to anchor their faith too. 

• Like 5

I spent an hour in a church service Easter Sunday with my wife and daughter...and all the guy did was try to 'logically' prove how Jesus is the son of God.  I agree ...If they didn't have some doubts there would be no need to prove anything.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I think I do. It might be due to their own doubts. So they look for something solid to anchor their faith too. 

The literal definition of oxymoronic is trying to justify your faith with proof.

If you require proof you ain't got faith.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, danydandan said:

The literal definition of oxymoronic is trying to justify your faith with proof.

If you require proof you ain't got faith.

We see it here all the time. 

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, danydandan said:

My two cents is if a person is in this section hanging tough trying to sell their god brand, it really is about their own need for validation, the constant need to feed their righteousness or...

Most posters "selling" god fall away rather quickly, we have the occasional straggler who fancy themselves somehow "different", yet for the most part the posters serious about Critical analysis refine and grow even if they still retain a belief in god--these are the posters I learn from. 

We have some really quality minds here and you are one of them. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Too see by faith is to shut the eye of reason.....Ben Franklin.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

My two cents is if a person is in this section hanging tough trying to sell their god brand, it really is about their own need for validation, the constant need to feed their righteousness or...

Most posters "selling" god fall away rather quickly, we have the occasional straggler who fancy themselves somehow "different", yet for the most part the posters serious about Critical analysis refine and grow even if they still retain a belief in god--these are the posters I learn from. 

We have some really quality minds here and you are one of them. 

Aw shucks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I meant to include anti theists too, we get the occasional hard core Athiest who is selling too. 

• Like 4

• The topic was locked