Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atheism and faith

Only_

29 minutes ago, Will Due said:

And pray that you don't take a path along the unkown terrain that leads to the lip of a 200 foot deep vertical mine shaft to fall into.

The thing is that you will only fall into this mineshaft if you blindly follow the path. Some of us watch where we are going, instead of blindly following directions from a book.

Once again your analogy backfires. Next one please ! :whistle:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Will Due said:

That's pretty much everything I've been saying. 

It's different things to each of us.

Yet many things are identical.

21 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

What is identical? Such as?

Somehow reminds me of this:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

You never answer anything, Will why is this?

Because no matter what I say, or what answer I give, you don't like it. You don't like that what I say is true.

That regarding the meaning of life atheism is:

• Meaningless
  • Purposeless
  • A Dead End

I say these things to you because that's what atheists have told me atheism is.

Which I guess, is what's at the center of why you and others don't like it. I'm just repeating what you all have been telling me.

Edited by Will Due

15 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Because no matter what I say, or what answer I give, you don't like it. You don't like that what I say is true.

• Meaningless
  • Purposeless
  • A Dead End

Which I guess, is what's at the center of why you and others don't like it. I'm just repeating what you all have been telling me.

Either they were lying to you, you didn’t understand what they were saying, or you’re lying to us, AGAIN. It’s one of the three because that’s NOT what Atheism is. 

cormac

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Will Due said:

• Meaningless
  • Purposeless
  • A Dead End

Speaking for myself, I don’t think Athiesm is that deep or complicated, it isn’t a path, more of a position that posits one can’t produce any objective evidence for god. This is not to say there isn’t some worthy arguments for god, namely Thomas Aquinas, “The Five Ways”. But you are not offering these, you are offering the UB and feelings interpreted as god. 

The UB was falsified as viable many posts ago. It didn’t hold up and when this happens as hard as it is all you can do is refine your understanding based on the evidence. You are getting butt hurt, this will not make the UB valid. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Will Due said:

• Meaningless
  • Purposeless
  • A Dead End

That's not what atheists have told you atheism is, everyone has told you that atheism is just the belief that no gods exist.  I'm pretty sure that the atheists who have stated the above have also told you that theism is also meaningless, purposeless and a dead end for the same reasons, which is context I don't think that you should be leaving out.

17 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Which I guess, is what's at the center of why you and others don't like it.

Keep guessing.  

20 minutes ago, Will Due said:

I'm just repeating what you all have been telling me.

Exactly the problem and what many don't like, which is that most things you say are 'just repeating' what you've been told, usually by a certain book you're enamored with.  It'd be nice if you'd think/speak for yourself, or at least take responsibility for and be able to back up and defend what you are repeating from other sources.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Meaninglessness and purposelessness are a part of existentialism. We are born without either and must invent both. 

10 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Meaninglessness and purposelessness are a part of existentialism. We are born without either and must invent both. 

If Will is interested, which he probably isn’t,  he should read this essay, it is really easy as a layperson to think existentialism is “dark and brooding.” 

english_11_ib_-_no_exit_-_existentialism

Edited by Sherapy

Here's the problem. Let's just get right down to it. 

When I speak about what's true . . .

JackNicholson-409x218.jpg

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

If Will is interested, which he probably isn’t,  he should read this essay, it is really easy as a layperson to think existentialism is “dark and brooding.” 

english_11_ib_-_no_exit_-_existentialism

Link doesn't work.

2 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Don't flatter yourself. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

The UB is not truth, it is fiction.

I have seen posters genuinely ask you to post what you think is truth from the UB and it just didn’t hold up. 

You can take it on faith if you want and it serves you, but it isn’t truth. Truth has to be factual. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Will Due said:

No, you’ve made it obvious you don’t know the truth but continue to try deflecting onto others because not having it scares the hell out of you. 

cormac

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

The UB is not truth, it is fiction.

What's the matter, you afraid of a book?

Here's something scary it says is true. Since you asked.

"Anxiety must be abandoned. The disappointments hardest to bear are those which never come."

Edited by Will Due
  • Haha 1

Since it's what we're doing, here's another thing the Urantia Book says that's true. :D

"Anxiety was a natural state of the savage mind. When men and women fall victims to excessive anxiety, they are simply reverting to the natural estate of their far-distant ancestors; and when anxiety becomes actually painful, it inhibits activity and unfailingly institutes evolutionary changes and biologic adaptations. Pain and suffering are essential to progressive evolution."

• Sad 1

I wonder if the mods are chilling with each other with popcorn and laughing and being like "should we mute the thread now?" "lol, no, it is too entertaining, lets leave it for now".

• Haha 2

Oh, and one last thing that the Urantia Book says is true. And then I gotta go.

Basically this is a statement about the truth of what happens when the dead end of atheism is not replaced with what's normal and rational about being human

"Mortal man has a spirit nucleus. The mind is a personal-energy system existing around a divine spirit nucleus and functioning in a material environment. Such a living relationship of personal mind and spirit constitutes the universe potential of eternal personality. Real trouble, lasting disappointment, serious defeat, or inescapable death can come only after self-concepts presume fully to displace the governing power of the central spirit nucleus, thereby disrupting the cosmic scheme of personality identity."

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Will Due said:

What's the matter, you afraid of a book?

Here's something scary it says is true. Since you asked.

"Anxiety must be abandoned. The disappointments hardest to bear are those which never come."

The UB is not for me hun. 

I am not anxious, most chill person you could know. Lol 

10 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Since it's what we're doing, here's another thing the Urantia Book says that's true. :D

"Anxiety was a natural state of the savage mind. When men and women fall victims to excessive anxiety, they are simply reverting to the natural estate of their far-distant ancestors; and when anxiety becomes actually painful, it inhibits activity and unfailingly institutes evolutionary changes and biologic adaptations. Pain and suffering are essential to progressive evolution."

You sound like Mr Walker now, you two sound like you hail from the same generation. Lol 

When we didn’t know much about emotions, the brain, and stress, it is a new day dude. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• The topic was locked