Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atheism and faith

Only_

4 minutes ago, Truthseeker007 said:

Gravity p***es me off.:lol: I have not really researched it that much but I assume we have gravity because the Earth is in motion. If the Earth were to completely stop it's motion I assume we all would float away. I don't know just saying off the top of my head. Sorry to but in on your conversation but I just wanted to say that.

Gravity is simply the result of Mass's effect of space-time. Actually without the spining gravitional force is stronger.

Edit: I should state that it would be stronger at the equator and remain the same at the poles.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Truthseeker007 said:

I have not really researched it that much but I assume we have gravity because the Earth is in motion.

Er,  you could actually interpret that bit as being the right answer...sort of... well, it kinda hints at the right answer...if you really want to know how it works ask a flat earther.  They got it almost exactly right...but for the wrong reason!  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Torchwood said:

No I just couldn't recall the name of the theory, and "universe on a spring" was funnier than looking it up.

And gravity was thought to be able to make the universe contract like that, but I believe more recent calculations suggest that this is not the case, and that eventually even the biggest blackhole will fall apart....

hm.. i dont know i havent heard of that. All i knew was for the past maybe 40 years science believed that the universe was getting pushed out by dark matter and so it would never contract again. But in the past few years articles by the dozens of studies in all branches are finding those first calculations of the universes speed were plain wrong, and that the universe is expanding as the forces of the big bang and gravity grant. And we are 40 years in the future than them with about 10x better technology.
So i dont know if you are referring to that. Basically by modern science, those who arent dogmatically refusing to let go of their precious 'dark matter' theory that never came close to being real, they should be accepting now that the universe will contract again.

4 minutes ago, Truthseeker007 said:

Gravity p***es me off.:lol: I have not really researched it that much but I assume we have gravity because the Earth is in motion. If the Earth were to completely stop it's motion I assume we all would float away. I don't know just saying off the top of my head. Sorry to but in on your conversation but I just wanted to say that.

You are thinking about inertia. Gravity is simply that all matter in the universe is attracted to each other. I get a brain epiphany actually. infinite connectivity is the gravity.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, danydandan said:

Gravity is simply the result of Mass's effect of space-time. Actually without the spining gravitional force is stronger.

So to make this simple for me if the Earth stopped movement what would happen.

1 minute ago, Truthseeker007 said:

you'd probably fall over and then get swamped by a tidal wave of truly epic proportions...

• Haha 2

A lot of damage due to a massive amount of kinetic energy if it was a sudden stop.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dwarf vs grey ufo said:

You are thinking about inertia. Gravity is simply that all matter in the universe is attracted to each other. I get a brain epiphany actually. infinite connectivity is the gravity.

Yes this is not something I am an expert in.lol! So why no gravity in space then?

Yes this is not something I am an expert in.lol! So why no gravity in space then?

gravity is in space.  By which i mean, earth is in space, and earth has gravity.

• Like 1

If it was instant you would definitely i think feel some thrust forward. But the gravity of earth is way to strong to even go a few feet in the air.

Just now, Truthseeker007 said:

I wonder what it would be like to view this universe from an outside location like we can view the moon. That would be something to see. Would the universe be flat or round?

It would likely look just like a dot or light. Basically a large collection of galaxies. But there is a much grander scheme, like for example a universe beside our unvierse, and zoom out of that and there is millions of universes, zoom out further and they make their own 'dot', and keep zooming out who knows what it would be

Just now, Truthseeker007 said:

Gravity is a quality of mass. A piece of dust has so little mass that the pull from it to Earth, a pull on each others masses, would be miniscule. A boulder for example has much more mass equivalent to its weight would be in gravity. There is no gravity on the moon because with distance attraction decreases. Or in space. the further from it the less it can have gravitational strength

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Torchwood said:

you'd probably fall over and then get swamped by a tidal wave of truly epic proportions...

Well when the Earth does stop one day it will be truly interesting.:lol: Then again the Sun will probably supernova first then burn the Earth up.

Edited by Truthseeker007

11 minutes ago, Truthseeker007 said:

If you were standing on one of the poles you'd feel no difference. You would weigh the same. But as you get closer to the equator the resulting loss of centrifugal forces as a result of the Earth's rotation would actually make you weigh more.  For example if you use a spring scale, and you weighed 100 pounds on at the poles you'd weigh 99.something at the equator due to centrifugal forces pushing you up or away from the centre. But when the spinning spots the centrifugal forces stop and you'd weigh the same. The gravitional well of the Earth is due to it's mass not it's rotation. So you'd still be on Earth.

But one with no atmosphere and you'd be quite dead.

People's assumptions of gravitional force is incorrect, for some reason people still hold the Newtonian notion of gravity as gospel and don't address Einsteins view which is far more complicated and complex. Consider gravitional forces as a mediator of sorts.

https://www.space.com/17661-theory-general-relativity.html

This is a good link.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Torchwood said:

gravity is in space.  By which i mean, earth is in space, and earth has gravity.

So could it be that this universe could be in motion around something much like the Earth is in movement around the Sun?

So could it be that this universe could be in motion around something much like the Earth is in movement around the Sun?

I suppose its not unpossible...but I suspect its a question thats up there with "are we in the matrix" when it comes to trying to answer it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, danydandan said:

If you were standing on one of the poles you'd feel no difference. You would weigh the same. But as you get closer to the equator the resulting loss of centrifugal forces as a result of the Earth's rotation would actually make you weigh more.  For example if you use a spring scale, and you weighed 100 pounds on at the poles you'd weigh 99.something at the equator due to centrifugal forces pushing you up. But when the spinning spots the centrifugal forces stop and you'd weigh the same. The gravitional well of the Earth is due to it's mass not it's rotation. So you'd still be on Earth.

But one with no atmosphere and you'd be quite dead.

Thanks for the explanation. I need to take the time to learn more about this.

Something about gravity is it has no reach limit as a fact
Atoms 100 trillion light years away will be attracting to the atoms that are in that 300 trillion light year away distance
I think it means something really deep.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Torchwood said:

I suppose its not unpossible...but I suspect its a question thats up there with "are we in the matrix" when it comes to trying to answer it.

I have heard the ancient term "as above so below".

2 minutes ago, Torchwood said:

I think there is meant to be a supermassive black hole that is in the centre of our galaxy.

Yes but its meant to describe how both the movement of the planets and the movement of tea leaves can be used to predict the movement of people...which they can't. 

• Haha 1

Have you watched the film with the same name? its first person like Blair witch. Its about the Paris Catacombs. Its ok tbh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dwarf vs grey ufo said:

Atoms 100 trillion light years away will be attracting to the atoms that are in that 300 trillion light year away distance

You should update your notion of gravity, it's very 1600s, Einsteins theory is more 1900s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dwarf vs grey ufo said:

That makes me think of quantum entanglement.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, danydandan said:

You should update your notion of gravity, it's very 1600s, Einsteins theory is more 1900s.

This-  its not mass pulling things towards themselves...its matter accelerating outwards in all directions.

Or something.

7 minutes ago, Torchwood said:

Yes but its meant to describe how both the movement of the planets and the movement of tea leaves can be used to predict the movement of people...which they can't. 

I get the idea that it means for instance a small atom is much like a small solar system. So maybe this whole universe is just one single atom to even something bigger. Just a silly thought.lol!

Edited by Truthseeker007

4 minutes ago, danydandan said:

So in actuality we really don't know and the whole gravity explanation is a theory not a fact. Am I correct in that observation?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Torchwood said:

This-  its not mass pulling things towards themselves...its matter accelerating outwards in all directions.

Or something.

Not really, Newton's view, which is observationally accurate, is that gravity is the resulting attractive force between two objects due to their mass. Einsteins view is that gravity is the distortion of a four dimensional space time fabric proportional to an objects mass, which is also observationally accurate.

Basically Newton states gravity is a force and Einstein says it's not.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked