Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atheism and faith

Only_

10 minutes ago, Baldylocks said:

Have you watched the film with the same name? its first person like Blair witch. Its about the Paris Catacombs. Its ok tbh.

I have not but I will have to check it out.Thanks!!;)

5 minutes ago, Truthseeker007 said:

I get the idea that is means for instance a small atom is much like a small solar system. So maybe this whole universe is just one single atom to even something bigger. Just a silly thought.lol!

No, the old model of  atom is a useful tool for describing and teaching about atoms, but thats not what we think atoms actually look like

4 minutes ago, Truthseeker007 said:

So in actuality we really don't know and the whole gravity explanation is a theory not a fact. Am I correct in that observation?

A theory is a collection of facts. So it is both fact and theory.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Truthseeker007 said:

I have not but I will have to check it out.Thanks!!;)

Nothing to do with the convo lol just popped in my head when you said that quote.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Torchwood said:

No, the old model of  atom is a useful tool for describing and teaching about atoms, but thats not what we think atoms actually look like

A theory is a collection of facts. So it is both fact and theory.

So we still have a lot to learn really.

So you are saying this is not what it would look like?

Stylised_atom_with_three_Bohr_model_orbits_and_stylised_nucleus.png

9 minutes ago, Truthseeker007 said:

So in actuality we really don't know and the whole gravity explanation is a theory not a fact. Am I correct in that observation?

I think at this stage, and with the confirmation of gravitional waves, general relativity is a fact.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Truthseeker007 said:

So we still have a lot to learn really.

So you are saying this is not what it would look like?

Stylised_atom_with_three_Bohr_model_orbits_and_stylised_nucleus.png

We basically can't draw a picture of an atom due to the uncertainty principle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, danydandan said:

I think at this stage, and with the confirmation of gravitional waves, general relativity is a fact.

I definitely want to look more into it. Sometimes I come at things on a totally different view then the normal.:lol:

1 minute ago, danydandan said:

We basically can't draw a picture of an atom due to the uncertainty principle.

I do remember from watching something sometime that there is a lot of empty space in an atom and mostly empty space.

4 minutes ago, Truthseeker007 said:

I do remember from watching something sometime that there is a lot of empty space in an atom and mostly empty space.

It's hard to imagine. But if you consider the nucleus of an atom as an apple then think of the orbiting electron as a spec of dust. Then place the apple in the centre of a football,im Irish so I mean soccer, pitch and consider that football pitch is Camp Nou, the spec of dust would be on the outskirts of Barcelona. That's kinda the amount of space between the nucleus and electrons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, danydandan said:

It's hard to imagine. But if you consider the nucleus of an atom as an apple then think of the orbiting electron as a spec of dust. Then place the apple in the centre of a football,im Irish so I mean soccer, pitch and consider that football pitch is Camp Nou, the spec of dust would be on the outskirts of Barcelona. That's kinda the amount of space between the nucleus and electrons.

I have gotten the analogy that it is like two football fields. Knowing all that empty space is there just makes me think that it has to be quite possible to stick your hand or body through hard material such as a door. If you know how to manipulate the energy of the protons and electrons.

2 minutes ago, Truthseeker007 said:

I have gotten the analogy that it is like two football fields. Knowing all that empty space is there just makes me think that it has to be quite possible to stick your hand or body through hard material such as a door. If you know how to manipulate the energy of the protons and electrons.

It's one of the things that both unimaginably large and small at the same time. Interestingly it's theoretically possible to stop a cannon ball with a sheet of paper. Rutherford,  in 1900 and something, was conducting experiments by firing particles at a very thin sheet of gold. What he seen was that some particles bounced back, this kinda led to the confirmation of the nucleus. That is kinda cool.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Have you wondered why Krauss is leading teams at the LHC and this whinger is writing news columns?

Lawrence Krauss is currently suspended by the Arizona State University over sexual misconduct accusations.

See:

https://thewire.in/science/lawrence-krauss-sexual-harassment-allegations

Edited by Brother_Spirit

36 minutes ago, Brother_Spirit said:

Lawrence Krauss is currently suspended by the Arizona State University over sexual misconduct accusations.

See:

And as usual, you don't consider there might be two sides to the claim. 

https://www.skepticink.com/avant-garde/2018/02/23/krauss/

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IgAGpkAa2vwSMOtFD4iAfwfryTNJbJ_5/view

You can't fault the work so you attack character 

Its astounding you would take the moral high ground considering the churches history with sexual misconduct. A lot of people who devoted their lives to God didn't get the strength they needed from him when it mattered. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brother_Spirit said:

See:

When people attack character rather than a body of work they prove how ignorant of that work they are. It's an ad hominem.

Ever hear the saying.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."?

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, danydandan said:

When people attack character rather than a body of work they prove how ignorant of that work they are. It's an ad hominem.

Ever hear the saying.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."?

I'm responding to a claim. Krauss isn't ''leading teams at the LHC''.. The reality is that he currently suspended with pay by his own University and various skeptic associations have taken their distances with him based on serious allegations... Not a ''hero'' I'd want to push at this point in time.

Edited by Brother_Spirit

3 hours ago, Brother_Spirit said:

I'm responding to a claim. Krauss isn't ''leading teams at the LHC''.. The reality is that he currently suspended with pay by his own University and various skeptic associations have taken their distances with him based on serious allegations... Not a ''hero'' I'd want to push at this point in time.

Kind of how I feel about the god portrayed in the bible, except with him, they aren't allegations, they're boasts............

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Brother_Spirit said:

Aren't your heros a lot worse? Warlords, murderers, rapists..

On 17/05/2018 at 5:25 PM, danydandan said:

I don't even know what Gnostic means. I thought it was to do with aquiring knowledge which led to salvation?

I think the basic meaning is just "knowledge" - but has since become associated with knowledge of the divine. My point is that you cannot objectively know whether god does or doesn't exist.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 18/05/2018 at 7:43 AM, pallidin said:

Do we have even any clue as to what caused an unimaginable influx of pure energy to create all that is?

We have no clue. Zero.

A completely pointless question from someone who hasn't bothered to learn the basics

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Brother_Spirit said:

It's becoming abundantly clear that you can't actually address any of the points put forward.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

He's torn his dress ...

~

[00.04:31]

~

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Brother_Spirit said:

See:

First of all this have nothing to do with wether he is right or wrong about the topic.

Secondly as I understand it they are allegations. People are innocent until proven guilty, right ?

Thirdly as a christian are you going to go with the sexual miscounduct angle ?  really ? :whistle:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

It's becoming abundantly clear that you can't actually address any of the points put forward.

Seems like you are not following the discussions. David Albert has done a great job at refuting Krauss' A Universe From Nothing. What makes no sense is to present Krauss as 'superior' (''leading teams at the LHC'') to Albert, especially when Krauss' reputation isn't so glamorous right now to say the least.

Edited by Brother_Spirit

Log and splinters ...

~

Matthew 7:5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye ...

biblehub.com/matthew/7-5.htm

First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with ... beam from your eye, and then you will see clearly to cast out the splinter from ...

~

I think the Bible Literalists choked on sawdust even more than they were blinded with logs ... and that is saying a lot ...

~

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Aren't your heros a lot worse? Warlords, murderers, rapists..

And which heros would that be?

• The topic was locked