Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atheism and faith

Only_

1 hour ago, third_eye said:

Yeah ... I'd probably be there on my own all the time ...

~

In our house, if you accept things without having reasons you are gonna get questioned. 

In the spirit of fun and joking banter though. 

My husband entertained the idea of ghosts with all of us and we teased and pranked him to death, hubby shelved the ghost idea. Lol 

• Haha 4

On 7/23/2018 at 12:34 AM, Will Due said:

Atheism is like a cul de sac. A dead end street. There can't be an argument about that right?

Wanna bet? 

A Cul De Sac is a two way street. It's not a dead end. If you get to to the end you follow it around and see everything in the other direction from a different angle to that which you entered it. You get a full view of the street or Cul De Sac. 

So if one is traveling twenty miles, a hundred miles, a thousand miles or more, why turn into a dead end street?

To learn all there is to know, map the country so you can make good decisions in the future, and those who might continue the work have a good foundation to start from. 

And its a two way street, your religion has mislead you to think all roads lead to the UB. They don't. It's a little roundabout on a back road. 

The good news about streets without an outlet is that you can stop, turn the car around and get back on the highway.

You need to learn about two way streets instead of putting your blinkers on and taking on one view in. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

My husband entertained the idea of ghosts with all of us and we teased and pranked him to death, hubby shelved the ghost idea.

I actually entertain quite a number of thoughts like this. More of the speculation kind. The how and why. Mostly because I find doing so is a good way to stretch my mind in more abstract directions. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I actually entertain quite a number of thoughts like this. More of the speculation kind. The how and why. Mostly because I find doing so is a good way to stretch my mind in more abstract directions. 

Can you clarify what you mean by stretch your mind in more abstract directions? 

Just now, Sherapy said:

Can you clarify what you mean by stretch your mind in more abstract directions? 

Ask yourself "What if god does exist?" then you should have a train of thought occur that leads into some strange directions. What is god? Where did god come from? What created god? If god exist and god is just an idea, who had the idea first? Are we just an idea in gods mind? Perhaps it is these strange musings that I gain some odd insight into things......

I do not take them serious by any account. I just find them to be useful to me. It's better than just say "NO!!!!". If I'm going to be skeptical of something, I'm going to try and figure it out, asking myself why.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Ask yourself "What if god does exist?" then you should have a train of thought occur that leads into some strange directions. What is god? Where did god come from? What created god? If god exist and god is just an idea, who had the idea first? Are we just an idea in gods mind? Perhaps it is these strange musings that I gain some odd insight into things......

I do not take them serious by any account. I just find them to be useful to me. It's better than just say "NO!!!!". If I'm going to be skeptical of something, I'm going to try and figure it out, asking myself why.

Ahh, I see what you are saying. 

I am more into silence of the mind. Lol 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

A Cul De Sac is a two way street. It's not a dead end. If you get to to the end you follow it around and see everything in the other direction from a different angle to that which you entered it. You get a full view of the street or Cul De Sac. 

That's right. You get a full view of the street named Atheism. A full view of how it has no outlet. A full view of how pointless it was to drive into it, having a better place to go that is.

But good for those who've driven in and turned around. Now their at the intersection where they entered. That place that has a big sign that says NOT A THROUGH STREET. 

So now, all that's left to do is to make that right turn and get back onto the highway. Like everyone does after they drive down the wrong road.

On 7/23/2018 at 12:46 AM, Will Due said:

Believe me Fish, I use the cruise control a lot.

But . . . when I see a fellow traveler, a person I know who's interested in traveling the distance suddenly hit the brakes and turn into a street that bears a bold sign at its entrance that reads: NO OUTLET, I hit my brakes too and follow my friend to ask, where the hell are you going?

But your not helping Will. Not the person you follow, not yourself. In this case you might be better worrying about your own path, it's troublesome enough on its own an your obviously having your own share of difficulties on it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Will Due said:

That's right. You get a full view of the street named Atheism.

It's a nice street. You should go there.

A full view of how it has no outlet.

If you are in the right place, why do you need a way out ?

A full view of how pointless it was to drive into it, having a better place to go that is.

Who are you to decide where other want to be ?

But good for those who've driven in and turned around. Now their at the intersection where they entered.

So they are right back where they started. How is that a good thing if you wanted to get away from where you were ?

That place that has a big sign that says NOT A THROUGH STREET. 

So now, all that's left to do is to make that right turn and get back onto the highway. Like everyone does after they drive down the wrong road.

Not every one way steeet is the wrong one. Why do you keep assuming that ?

You really have to work on your analogies. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Not every one way steeet is the wrong one. 

Not ONE WAY street. 

Atheism is a DEAD END street. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Not ONE WAY street. 

Atheism is a DEAD END street. 

Doesn't change anything really. My point is that if the end of that street is were you need to go, it's the right street. Why would you need an exit if you are in the right place ?

• Like 3

Perhaps a better analogy is that Atheism is a DEAD END street that if you don't slow down when nearing its end to begin a turn around back out to the highway, you'll speed right on through the barrier at the end that says STOP - DEAD END and drive off the cliff at the end of the road like Thelma and Louise did in their Thunderbird.

Hollywood has a way of burying an important true message within their nefarious plots to deceive the unwitting that you can do whatever you want.

And then end up driving off a cliff and into the abyss because of it.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Perhaps a better analogy is that Atheism is a DEAD END street that if you don't slow down when nearing its end to begin a turn around back out to the highway, you'll speed right on through the barrier at the end that says STOP - DEAD END and drive off the cliff at the end of the road like Thelma and Louise did in their Thunderbird.

Give it up Will. You just look foolish..... even more than usual.

Hollywood has a way of burying an important true message within their nefarious plots to deceive the unwitting that you can do whatever you want.

There is no possible way that you might be wrong right ? So it have to be some grand conspiracy. :no:

Just because your road have an abyss at the end doesn't mean thats the case for everybody. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Perhaps you should stop being a hypocrite and concentrate on your own journey, because you’re definitely not qualified to give directions to others about theirs. 

cormac

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

There is no possible way that you might be wrong right ? 

You mean that Atheism is a dead end? That's what every atheist I've ever talked to has told me. At the end of the road named Atheism, there's nothing but death.

• Confused 1

You mean that Atheism is a dead end? That's what every atheist I've ever talked to has told me. At the end of the road named Atheism, there's nothing but death.

You win. You analogies are great. All atheists are deluded. The UB is the truth. 

Of course this isn't true, but you don't really care about the truth do you ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Of course this isn't true, but you don't really care about the truth do you ?

That’s pretty much it in a nutshell. 

cormac

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

The journey is more important than the destination.

Thanks Fish. I can always count on you to get right down to it. 

It's about the journey.

So why then, go into a dead end? 

Thanks Fish. I can always count on you to get right down to it. 

It's about the journey.

So why then, go into a dead end? 

You still don't get it. If your destination is at the end of a dead end road, the correct journey is to go down that road.

I don't know how to explain it in simpler terms, maybe someone else does ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

You still don't get it. If your destination is at the end of a dead end road, the correct journey is to go down that road.

Nope, pretty much what I've been trying to get at. Our lives are a dead end street, enjoy the ride.

Pretty basic really. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I get it. I've always gotten it.

But what I'll never get is promoting this as a viable idea to live one's life by. To attempt to live in a dead end.

Especially to promote it to young children or the youthful and inexperienced in life.

Ok?

Atheism is a hopeless lie. There is a God. And there is greatness in the truth of it. In the truth of discovering one's unique path to it.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

IMO he’s purposely conflating life ending in death, which is true for everyone, with Athiests travelling down a dead end road because he’s decided HE’S the only one qualified to make their choices. There’s no other way to see him except as a self-serving, egotistical hypocrite. 

cormac

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Will Due said:

Atheism is a hopeless lie. There is a God. And there is greatness in the truth of it. In the truth of discovering one's unique path to it.

That isn't truth, it's a belief.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• The topic was locked