Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Van Strikes Pedestrians In Toronto Canada

Lilly

Another white rental van. I don't think it was an accident. One witness said the guy who was arrested yelled at the police to kill him.

• Like 1

Christ almighty, what is wrong with some people these days!? :no:

Forget arguments over guns and knives, religion and mental illness, what can society seriously do to combat this latest trend in using vehicles as weapons? They can be used pretty much anywhere at any time :hmm:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

Forget arguments over guns and knives, religion and mental illness, what can society seriously do to combat this latest trend in using vehicles as weapons? They can be used pretty much anywhere at any time :hmm:

That is crazy what's happening. I am in a Toronto suburb out for delivery. 

All those poor people. Will this madnes ever end? People are going crazier every day. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, LV-426 said:

Mental illness is a tricky beast. Someone can be nice as pie, "dormant" for years than suddenly a psychotic episode flairs up one day and they are running people over in a van. It's impossible to predict, depending on the illness. These people have always been around and likely always will be.

Lam said whoever did this must have known to drive on the southbound sidewalk because the northbound has a lot more concrete tree holders which would have acted as barriers.

Ugh...somewhat premeditated

Just now, Michelle said:

Another white rental van. I don't think it was an accident. One witness said the guy who was arrested yelled at the police to kill him.

rental vans become an equivalent of throw away guns, and they are a lot easier to get than guns. 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, aztek said:

rental vans become an equivalent of throw away guns, and they are a lot easier to get than guns. 

Yeah, and a lot harder to stop...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Mental illness is a tricky beast. Someone can be nice as pie, "dormant" for years than suddenly a psychotic episode flairs up one day and they are running people over in a van. It's impossible to predict, depending on the illness. These people have always been around and likely always will be.

Yep. I'd say the numbers are on the increase with the complexities of modern life, though.

What can be done? Seems to me you either have to address the cause or the effect, which both seem nigh on impossible. Or you have to accept this madness as part of modern living :no:

Anyway, my thoughts to the victims. Another crying shame.

• Thanks 1

Listening to a Witness, it sounds like injuries could be pretty horrific blood everywhere.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, LV-426 said:

Yep. I'd say the numbers are on the increase with the complexities of modern life, though.

What can be done? Seems to me you either have to address the cause or the effect, which both seem nigh on impossible. Or you have to accept this madness as part of modern living :no:

Anyway, my thoughts to the victims. Another crying shame.

Erect concrete posts alongside or down the center of sidewalks...that would be a start. Relatively cheap and easy to implement. As far as monitoring potential threats, we start wading in to "Minority Report" territory trying to stop crimes before they happen. Of course, the only way to do that is...widespread surveillance. How do you monitor someone with no prior red flags?

• Like 1

Just now, Dark_Grey said:

. How do you monitor someone with no prior red flags?

assign red flags to everyone, consider everyone potential criminals,  pass laws that criminalize normal everyday activity

Edited by aztek
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, aztek said:

assign red flags to everyone, consider everyone potential criminals,  pass laws that criminalize normal everyday activity

flat_800x800_070_f.u1.jpg

Time to implement curfews. Suspicious individuals will be taken in to custody without question. Remember: this is for your own safety.

• Like 1

Just now, Dark_Grey said:

flat_800x800_070_f.u1.jpg

Time to implement curfews. Suspicious individuals will be taken in to custody without question. Remember: this is for your own safety.

that is easy to beat, just join thought police,and get away with everything, frame anyone you do not like, but that is something for different thread

• Like 1

9 people dead and 16 injured.

I do not care if the reason for this crime is religion, drugs, tough life, scrape the skin of this monster while he is alive. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, odas said:

9 people dead and 16 injured.

I do not care if the reason for this crime is religion, drugs, tough life, scrape the skin of this monster while he is alive. 

If he had the smarts to take the path of least resistance (Southbound sidewalk), he has the smarts to know right from wrong.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

If he had the smarts to take the path of least resistance (Southbound sidewalk), he has the smarts to know right from wrong.

By now we know it was intentional. He had a brief standoff with police while he was pointing what apears to be a gun at them. Witnesses say they heard him yelling " kill me". As I said, no point analizing his mental status, just kill him. 

1 minute ago, odas said:

By now we know it was intentional. He had a brief standoff with police while he was pointing what apears to be a gun at them. Witnesses say they heard him yelling " kill me". As I said, no point analizing his mental status, just kill him. 

**** that. They want to die? Keep them alive for a very long time in a cell, on a survival diet of precisely the same meals every day.

• Like 3

Just now, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

**** that. They want to die? Keep them alive for a very long time in a cell, on a survival diet of precisely the same meals every day.

This. Death is the easy way out. Let him live in his own personal hell and serve as a warning to others.

• Like 1

he was pointing a gun at police after that and he is still alive???? wow your cops are better than ours,  he definitely would be dead if it happened here

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Sir, i usualy agree with you on everything 100% but not with this. In a few years he would say that he was sorry, was on drugs, god told him whatever and some would even feel sorry for him. 

34 minutes ago, odas said:

He wanted suicide by cop. While we might not care if he dies, if he's mentally ill, which looks to be the case, then that cop would have to live with killing him for the rest of his life. Difficult to live with when it's someone trying to kill you, a lot more difficult when it's someone who's not right in the head just trying to get you to pull the trigger for them.

Our news here just reported it isn't yet being thought of as an act of terrorism. I'll withhold on a mental health issue until more is known about the driver's background. 

From the link in post #2:

The crash unfolded as Cabinet ministers from the G7 countries were gathered in Toronto to discuss a range of international issues in the run-up to the G7 meeting near Quebec City in June.

Maybe this was part of his malfunction.

Edited by susieice
  • Thanks 1