Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Van Strikes Pedestrians In Toronto Canada

Lilly

5 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Thank god. Can you imagine the carnage if he had access to an automatic weapon? 

What, as opposed to a manual-shift weapon ? :( 

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

Very near by where I live. ( The place of the Taniwha) a man killed his wife, stabbed her numerous times, while thier children slept, and then drove off, deliberately driving into a truck on the main highway.

This was big news here, but murder/suicide seems to barely get a mention in places of mass shootings.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Or had been smart enough to make bombs. 

absolutely, last time farming fertilizer was used it killed a lot more than any gun, and destroyed a building.

so maybe we need to put every farmer on a watch list

Edited by aztek

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

Yeah and can you imagine if they had red flagged him, when he showed signs of instability and admitted him to a mental hospital, before he got  a chance to go on this killing rampage?

ETA: That would of been ten times better. No carnage at all instead.

Edited by Gunn

8 minutes ago, Gunn said:

Yeah and can you imagine if they had red flagged him, when he showed signs of instability and admitted him to a mental hospital, before he got  a chance to go on this killing rampage?

IDK man I still think that the focus on mental health is just trading one risk to  freedom for another in the long run

8 minutes ago, Gunn said:

IDK man I still think that the focus on mental health is just trading one risk to  freedom for another in the long run

2 hours ago, Gunn said:

Naw, I think we're misunderstanding each other here and we're not on the same page.

To be clear - I'm not defending him or feeling sorry for him, like I'm arguing as his defense lawyer or something, if that's what you're thinking? If it was up to me personally I'd lock him up and throw away the key forever. "F" him! He killed 10 people and injured 15 more. lock him up forever!

All I'm just saying is, he's gotta be nuts to want to mow down and kill a bunch of people for whatever reason or motive or the "why" he did it, knowingly\purposely or not. That's all I'm saying.

That's ok. It is beginning to sound as if he has a background of special needs and if this Incel Rebellion turns out to be the motivating factor, it indicates a very unstable mind. I was only saying that mental illness doesn't show up one day and leave. People with mental illnesses struggle every day. That's why a defense of temporary insanity is very difficult to prove. You have to show that, for one reason or another, someone acted because something triggered their mind to the point that they were unable to determine right from wrong at that one moment. Terrorists aren't normal in their actions, but they aren't mentally ill. Many people who commit murder aren't mentally ill. Many people suffering from mental illness do not commit murder. 

This case also shows that the world is full of weapons that someone who is determined to cause destruction can use.

24 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

You're still thinking that I'm talking about people being locked up for simple stuff like anxiety or really to be specific in the differences here, they don't make threats to others or themselves. No I'm talking about people who do make terroristic threats online or in the local public. Why not them? Case in point - The authorities sure in hell go after suspected terrorists, who threaten to blow places up and usually catch them in the act before it gets to that point. Why not do the same with a mentally unstable person, when they make threats? It could save a lot more lives instead of relying on halfass solutions, as in the case of more gun control that still saves only a few lives.

ETA: Another case in point - If a mentally unstable person made known threats to the President, guess where they're butt would be after that?

Edited by Gunn
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, LV-426 said:

Christ almighty, what is wrong with some people these days!? :no:

Forget arguments over guns and knives, religion and mental illness, what can society seriously do to combat this latest trend in using vehicles as weapons? They can be used pretty much anywhere at any time :hmm:

That's the thing. We never hear about why society is losing morality, or what to do about it. Other then taking freedoms away from people who have no part in such nonsense.

• Like 3

Just now, preacherman76 said:

That's the thing. We never hear about why society is losing morality, or what to do about it. Other then taking freedoms away from people who have no part in such nonsense.

the way i see it the decline corresponds to increase of liberal values pushed on us. or should i say liberal values in today's meaning of the word liberal

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, aztek said:

the way i see it the decline corresponds to increase of liberal values pushed on us. or should i say liberal values in today's meaning of the word liberal

Yep. Combine that with the vacuum left behind as the church's slowly become extinct. You cant kill the concept of folks being held responsible to a higher power, and not replace it with something at least equally as effective, and think any good will come from it. Man as a whole is more moral when they believe even in death they will be held accountable. Assuming of course said beliefs are grounded in love for your fellow man.  I know personally Id most likely be dead by now, or worse, had I not held on to the belief that there is something greater then myself that I want to be part of. It doesn't even matter if it isn't true.

27 minutes ago, Gunn said:

You're still thinking that I'm talking about people being locked up for simple stuff like anxiety or really to be specific in the differences here, they don't make threats to others or themselves. No I'm talking about people who do make terroristic threats online or in the local public. Why not them? Case in point - The authorities sure in hell go after suspected terrorists, who threaten to blow places up and usually catch them in the act before it gets to that point. Why not do the same with a mentally unstable person, when they make threats? It could save a lot more lives instead of relying on halfass solutions, as in the case of more gun control that still saves only a few lives.

ETA: Another case in point - If a mentally unstable person made known threats to the President, guess where they're butt would be after that?

Finaly we can agree on something. I already warned that people will start analizing his mental condition, look for an excuse, eventualy say " not his fault, he is sick". Lock him up, kill him, burn the mf. Who cares if he is mental or radical nutcake. Innocent people, my fellow Canadians, were killed for no reason. 

• Like 2

Yep. Combine that with the vacuum left behind as the church's slowly become extinct. You cant kill the concept of folks being held responsible to a higher power, and not replace it with something at least equally as effective, and think any good will come from it. Man as a whole is more moral when they believe even in death they will be held accountable. Assuming of course said beliefs are grounded in love for your fellow man.  I know personally Id most likely be dead by now, or worse, had I not held on to the belief that there is something greater then myself that I want to be part of. It doesn't even matter if it isn't true.

yep pretty much, but today "liberal" beliefs are not about loving your fellow man but looking for a reason to hate him., everything ex kgb director said back in 1985. this is a scenario to destroy a country, and we see it come to life step by step, just like he described.

but that is something for a different topic, 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Gunn said:

ou're still thinking that I'm talking about people being locked up for simple stuff like anxiety or really to be specific in the differences here, they don't make threats to others or themselves. No I'm talking about people who do make terroristic threats online or in the local public.

No I'm fully aware of what you're proposing. I'm also just fully aware that once you put that kind of thought processes in place it tends to spread. You may love the government of today but none of us know what the government of tomorrow will be. 

38 minutes ago, Gunn said:

Why not do the same with a mentally unstable person, when they make threats? It could save a lot more lives instead of relying on halfass solutions, as in the case of more gun control that still saves only a few lives.

The problem is the definition of mentally stable is fluid. 

I.E "liberalism is a mental disorder" is great trash talking now, but I know for a fact many believe that to be true. Conversely the same is true for religion. Many view religious folks as mentally ill. What happens when one of them take power?

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Kismit said:

Very near by where I live. ( The place of the Taniwha) a man killed his wife, stabbed her numerous times, while thier children slept, and then drove off, deliberately driving into a truck on the main highway.

This was big news here, but murder/suicide seems to barely get a mention in places of mass shootings.

Something like a murder suicide would be big local news but usually would not make national headlines in the USA.

He's been charged.

A man accused of using a rented van to plough into a busy Toronto sidewalk has been charged with 10 counts of first-degree murder and 13 counts of attempted murder as Canadian authorities attempted to make sense of what is thought to be one of the deadliest incidents of violence in the country’s history.

Alek Minassian, 25, from Richmond Hill, near Toronto, showed little emotion during a brief court appearance on Tuesday. A grey-haired man, believed to be Minassian’s father, sat in the first row of the courtroom, quietly weeping as the charges were read out.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/24/alek-minassian-toronto-van-attack-latest-news-suspect-charged

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apparently the guy was a member of some extreme misogynist group based on that guy who killed the people at the sorority party in California because beautiful women wouldn't have sex with him.

The suspect in Monday's Toronto van attack referenced an extremist "men's rights" movement and praised a 22-year-old mass shooter in a Facebook post made before the attack.

The post from Alek Minassian, 22, has since been deleted. Minassian has been charged with 10 counts in the van attack, which killed 10 people and injured 15 others. 

“Private (Recruit) Minassian Infantry 00010, wishing to speak to Sgt 4chan please,” Minassian wrote. “C23249161. The Incel Rebellion has already begun! We will overthrow all the Chads and Stacys! All hail the Supreme Gentleman Elliot Rodger!”

Minassian's message praises Elliot Rodger, the 22-year-old who killed six people in a California rampage in 2014 and left behind a manifesto detailing his anger toward women. Rodger's social alienation and violence have made him a hero in certain extremist, misogynist sections of the internet.

Link

That is some true whackadoo stuff man.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4

BTW I want to say freaking hats off to the police officers who made the arrest on that guy. What an impressive display of restraint and concern for the public good. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

Absolutely Tragic, a waste of a young Beautiful life and family devastated.

53 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

BTW I want to say freaking hats off to the police officers who made the arrest on that guy. What an impressive display of restraint and concern for the public good. 

very impressive display of restraint. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aztek said:

yep pretty much, but today "liberal" beliefs are not about loving your fellow man but looking for a reason to hate him., everything ex kgb director said back in 1985. this is a scenario to destroy a country, and we see it come to life step by step, just like he described.

but that is something for a different topic, 

i can't believe you're quoting the KGB for loving your fellow man... 

Just now, Captain Risky said:

i can't believe you're quoting the KGB for loving your fellow man... 

i can't believe i see real event being played just as kgb said it would, over 30 years ago.  and even crazier thing it is not kgb doing it. but liberals in usa.

btw if you see me quote kgb for loving fellow man, you should also see weather patterns, they are right next to that quote

Edited by aztek

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

you know i read aztec's quote about how believes the KGB as a institution, is a bastion of preserving society and generally had a good laugh,  but i can sorta understand his frustration at the breakdown of society. don't know what the solution is but i think it has nothing to do with political labels. id love to go all KGB on this mad man but would i be any better? good to know that these police officers showed such restraint and acted as professionals. 

Edited by Captain Risky
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, aztek said:

i can't believe i see real event being played just as kgb said it would, over 30 years ago.  and even crazier thing it is not kgb doing it. but liberals in usa.

btw if you see me quote kgb for loving fellow man, you should also see weather patters, they are right next to that quote

i think the KGB officer was defining liberalism as a threat to authoritarian rule and not civil society. 

• Like 1