Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Van Strikes Pedestrians In Toronto Canada

Lilly

Just now, Captain Risky said:

i think the KGB officer was defining liberalism as a threat to authoritarian rule and not civil society. 

no he was not, not even close, watch it again, the guy speaks very good English, he explains who to brain wash population, replace its values and destroy the country, but lets leave it for another thread, this one is not about liberals or kgb.

Edited by aztek

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

no he was not, not even close, watch it again, the guy speaks very good English,  but lets leave it for another thread, this one is not about liberals or kgb.

i agree. there is alot of cross over views when it comes to liberals and conservative thought. 

7 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

No I'm fully aware of what you're proposing. I'm also just fully aware that once you put that kind of thought processes in place it tends to spread. You may love the government of today but none of us know what the government of tomorrow will be. 

The problem is the definition of mentally stable is fluid. 

I.E "liberalism is a mental disorder" is great trash talking now, but I know for a fact many believe that to be true. Conversely the same is true for religion. Many view religious folks as mentally ill. What happens when one of them take power?

Overall, what you typed here is called a slippery slope fallacy. The same can be said about your belief that if we don't do something on the "more gun control is needed front", then we could lose the 2nd Amendment. That's another slippery slope.

Living here in the U.S., I have yet to see enough evidence in the past to believe that any one person who got into power, who believed liberalism or religious people to be mentally ill, to just go all 1984 on them. You know each American born citizen has constitutional rights? That's what stops that kind of crap from happening to a U.S. citizen.

13 minutes ago, Gunn said:

Overall, what you typed here is called a slippery slope fallacy. The same can be said about your belief that if we don't do something on the "more gun control is needed front", then we could lose the 2nd Amendment. That's another slippery slope.

Oh I'm fully aware, on both sides. I'm not really advocating for gun control, just seeing the flaws in both sides. 

14 minutes ago, Gunn said:

Living here in the U.S., I have yet to see enough evidence in the past to believe that any one person who got into power, who believed liberalism or religious people to be mentally ill, to just go all 1984 on them.  

Really? You dont think if there were a dirty bomb attack blamed on muslims today that a very large percentage of our society would be begging to go 1939 on them? I certainly do. The same is true for Christians. Let an Idaho "Christian" separatist do the same and watch how quickly the fringes begin chanting for a ban on the mental illness which makes people take commands from voices in their heads. 

16 minutes ago, Gunn said:

ou know each American born citizen has constitutional rights? That's what stops that kind of crap from happening to a U.S. citizen.

Sure I do. That's why I come here and argue these topics. The same folks who wrote that document also called on us to be vigilant citizens because the document itself wont stop it from happening, we will.  

13 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Oh I'm fully aware, on both sides. I'm not really advocating for gun control, just seeing the flaws in both sides.

So you don't think proposing people who want to own semi-auto rifles should be required to join a state or federal militia, in order to store their guns in a government approved facility, in which they can only have limited access to it under certain conditions, and only keep their weapon at the facility, is not some form of gun control? I'm sorry, but that still seems to me like some form of gun control from where I sit. I'm limited to when and where I can use that gun. Might as well leave it their to rust.

Really? You dont think if there were a dirty bomb attack blamed on muslims today that a very large percentage of our society would be begging to go 1939 on them? I certainly do. The same is true for Christians. Let an Idaho "Christian" separatist do the same and watch how quickly the fringes begin chanting for a ban on the mental illness which makes people take commands from voices in their heads. 

No. Because in order to do all that to the group of people you are talking about, first the oppressors would need to get rid of the supreme court and the two party system, totally erase the constitution and remove voting. See you're still thinking or reaching hypothetical with this too, as in a chain events in the future because of one small event or change. That's fear and anxiety talking.

Sure I do. That's why I come here and argue these topics. The same folks who wrote that document also called on us to be vigilant citizens because the document itself wont stop it from happening, we will.  

Well yeah, but when you say that, I suspect you're talking about through revolution, but voting for the last 227 years has seemed to have done the job. No 2nd revolution required as of yet.

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

Really? You dont think if there were a dirty bomb attack blamed on muslims today that a very large percentage of our society would be begging to go 1939 on them?

We didn't after 9/11. Why do you think we would now?

• Like 3

Very sad that so many people died. I live on the other side of the country but I know that area of Toronto very well, as I do business in Toronto on occasion. Very sad.

• Like 5

Cop who faced down suspect in Yonge St. carnage an example for all of us

Edit to add from the article:

Courage is not about the absence of fear or anger or extreme emotion. The definition of courage is, when experiencing those emotions, refusing to let them govern your behaviour. Staying true to yourself and your values, doing what you know is right, and necessary, despite the heightened emotion.

Courage is finding it in yourself to rise to an occasion rather than being diminished by it.

That’s what Lam showed us: courage.

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons
  • Like 5

Just now, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

Cop who faced down suspect in Yonge St. carnage an example for all of us

Edit to add from the article:

Courage is not about the absence of fear or anger or extreme emotion. The definition of courage is, when experiencing those emotions, refusing to let them govern your behaviour. Staying true to yourself and your values, doing what you know is right, and necessary, despite the heightened emotion.

Courage is finding it in yourself to rise to an occasion rather than being diminished by it.

That’s what Lam showed us: courage.

sadly in usa a cop like that would be fired if he did not shot the suspect. it happened before.

1 hour ago, aztek said:

sadly in usa a cop like that would be fired if he did not shot the suspect. it happened before.

That sounds like a very unfortunate state of affairs. Lethal force should only ever be used as a last resort. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aztek said:

that is not how they train cops here,   nor they really care, courts will never convict them and they know it. 

Okay...I've seen one too many of these comments...I have a lot of family in law enforcement and not only are they NOT fired if they don't just shoot people, they are trained to do everything possible to make sure that in those kinds of situations using your weapon is a last resort measure! Do you know what they have to go thru in a situation where a weapon was discharged?! So ridiculous!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skliss said:

Okay...I've seen one too many of these comments...

yea, because it happens too many times. be mad at cops who behave that way, at judges who get them off the hook, and their buddies who cover for them and lie. when that stops happening, then you will see less of these comments.  i have 2 friends in nypd too, i know them since high school, they have not killed anyone either,  yet it does not change reality.

as far as what they feel when they discharge a weapon, i frankly could not care less, i see police in china kill only handful of people a year, in a country with 5x population,  pretty much any police in any country does not shoot nearly as many.

Edited by aztek

There are enough political threads already, without turning this one into another one.

*Posts removed

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Kismit said:

There are enough political threads already, without turning this one into another one.

*Posts removed

That's not cool. I posted that before I read your moderation.

4 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

That's not cool. I posted that before I read your moderation.

I know. That is why I didn't make a fuss about it.

But the entire conversation needs to be removed if the Moderator note is to be taken seriously. 

Please feel free to continue that conversation with Aztec via a private message.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, aztek said:

yea, because it happens too many times. be mad at cops who behave that way, at judges who get them off the hook, and their buddies who cover for them and lie. when that stops happening, then you will see less of these comments.  i have 2 friends in nypd too, i know them since high school, they have not killed anyone either,  yet it does not change reality.

as far as what they feel when they discharge a weapon, i frankly could not care less, i see police in china kill only handful of people a year, in a country with 5x population,  pretty much any police in any country does not shoot nearly as many.

Do you know how many police there are in this country? Millions! The vast majority do a fantastic job in very difficult situations. Are horrible things going to happen at times? Of course they are, but for the most part these are people dedicated to doing a very hard, and for the most part thankless, job for the good of others. I take exception when you say they are trained to shoot people, no questions asked, or like in some other thread you implied they $hit on the floors of crime victims, etc. It's untrue and uncalled for.

• Like 1

Just now, skliss said:

Do you know how many police there are in this country? Millions! The vast majority do a fantastic job in very difficult situations. Are horrible things going to happen at times? Of course they are, but for the most part these are people dedicated to doing a very hard, and for the most part thankless, job for the good of others. I take exception when you say they are trained to shoot people, no questions asked, or like in some other thread you implied they $hit on the floors of crime victims, etc. It's untrue and uncalled for.

yes i know about 2 million.  most may do fantastic job, but they do absolutely nothing about those that make them look bad, and who are responsible for making this opinion. few that do pay dearly for it, sometimes with their lives

yes it is true, every time they shoot someone they should not have, they blame their training,  and their union backs them always up no matter what. 

i really do not see any point arguing existence of events that are very well documented.  if it hurts you, well imagine how it hurts people, and families of people  who were subjected to it,  and it is not limited to killings. 

in any case this is not a thread about us police.. there are plenty of others where this  conversation would be appropriate 

Edited by aztek

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:41 AM, Farmer77 said:

Thank god. Can you imagine the carnage if he had access to an automatic weapon? 

Seems to me the driver using a Van created enough carnage. If a loved one died due to him/her getting mowed down by someone driving a van, I'm not going to be Less grief stricken then if it was by a Gun or other means. But maybe you're different.

• Like 1

• Ji Hun Kim, age 22, of South Korea
  • So He Chung, age 22
  • Anne Marie D’Amico, age 30
  • Andrea Bradden, age 33
  • Beutis Renuka Amarasingha, age 45
  • Chul Min Kang, age 45
  • Dorothy Sewell, age 80
  • Geraldine Brady, age 83
  • Munir Najjar, age 85, of Jordan
  • Mary Elizabeth Forsyth, age 94

:(