Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Van Strikes Pedestrians In Toronto Canada

Lilly

Hopefully, he is not too mentally unstable to spend the rest of his life in some cushy high-security nut house after the horrific treatment he dished out to his victims and the families of the Dead.

Edited by A rather obscure Bassoon

49 minutes ago, odas said:

Sir, i usualy agree with you on everything 100% but not with this. In a few years he would say that he was sorry, was on drugs, god told him whatever and some would even feel sorry for him. 

And those people would be wrong, that’s the joy of a free society, those of us in one are free to think differently and have compassion towards those who are not in a free society (like being in gaol). They’re a credit to society, and he’ll be rotting in his cell. Win-Win.

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Name?

There is a family to protect. 

The name will eventually surface no doubt.

• Like 1

Has this video of the suspect been posted yet?

ETA: I just saw it in DoT's link, sorry about that. (But without his name)

Edited by .ZZ.

2 hours ago, susieice said:

Our news here just reported it isn't yet being thought of as an act of terrorism. I'll withhold on a mental health issue until more is known about the driver's background. 

Oh no, there is definitely a mental health issue going on with this dude, you can be sure of that. Anytime someone mows down a bunch of innocent people with a vehicle and then gets out of that vehicle, just to turn around and tell police to kill him or her, is definitely out of his\her mind.

• Like 4

Yes. Here he is Michelle. The death toll has now risen to 10.

Of course normal people don't act like this Gunn, but was this an act brought on for whatever reason the suspect had or did he really have a history of mental health issues. Mental health doesn't appear selectively.

7 minutes ago, susieice said:

Yes. Here he is Michelle. The death toll has now risen to 10.

Of course normal people don't act like this Gunn, but was this an act brought on for whatever reason the suspect had or did he really have a history of mental health issues. Mental health doesn't appear selectively.

Yeah he may not have a mental health history at all, but one does not need a mental health history to snap or go bonkers and go on a killing rampage. He could of been on heavy drugs and that could of set him off, but that still falls under a mental health issue of temporary insanity.

11 minutes ago, Gunn said:

Yeah he may not have a mental health history at all, but one does not need a mental health history to snap or go bonkers and go on a killing rampage. He could of been on heavy drugs and that could of set him off, but that still falls under a mental health issue of temporary insanity.

Then that will come out in his background when it's investigated. All reports said he knowingly and purposefully did what he did. Just because people want to see only what they want to see or hear only what they want to hear, that doesn't make them blind or deaf.

Temporary insanity is a hard defense to present.

Edited by susieice

I wouldn't take this information as concrete fact, especially as I'm not familiar with the source; from a news site based in New York:

Alek Minassian: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

1. Minassian Was Known to Law Enforcement and May Have Previously Researched Killings in Isla Vista, California

"Tom Winter of NBC News confirmed the report about Minassian’s searching the Isla Vista massacre, saying that the report came from U.S. and Canadian law enforcement officials and was not based on any online postings."

2. Minassian, 25, Was Arrested after Fleeing the Scene and Then Pulling What Looked Like a Gun on Police

3. Minassian Was an App Developer Who Created a Google App Called ‘Toronto Green Parking Advisor’

4. Officials Said the Crash Was Deliberate, But Mental Illness Is the Leading Theory Right Now

5. Minassian Is Not Associated with Any Terror Groups, Officials Said

• Thanks 2

I found this one also LV-426. The witnesses are saying his actions were deliberate. That suggests motive. We'll have to see what the investigation brings out.

http://hollywoodlife.com/2018/04/23/who-is-alek-minassian-toronto-van-driver/

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

The object he was holding doesn't look like a gun to me. It looks more like a phone.

Edited by Michelle

They said no weapon was found in his possession.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gunn said:

Oh no, there is definitely a mental health issue going on with this dude, you can be sure of that. Anytime someone mows down a bunch of innocent people with a vehicle and then gets out of that vehicle, just to turn around and tell police to kill him or her, is definitely out of his\her mind.

Too bad he didn't have the guts to just cut out the middleman and do the deed to himself.  A lot of people would be at home with their families tonight that won't ever get to be there again.  *sigh*  This gets so VERY old after awhile.  :(

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

I feel so bad for the families if the deceased and the survivors.   I just can't fathom how anyone could come up with an idea like this, no matter what has happened in your life.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, glorybebe said:

I feel so bad for the families if the deceased and the survivors.   I just can't fathom how anyone could come up with an idea like this, no matter what has happened in your life.

It's cliched and a lot of people simply won't accept the idea in this brightly lighted, clean and well-ordered culture we in the West spend our days in but there IS real evil in the world and people who do things like this are manifestations of it.  Insanity may well be the catalyst that sets it all in motion on a given day but it's the evil residing in the minds of people that makes it possible.  Some people, most, even, who walk up to the edge of the abyss, have a look and decide they'd prefer death alone than to take strangers with them.  Some seem to desire to take as many as possible with them.  THOSE are the ones that are driven by the evil.  And when we hate them for their acts, the evil wins.  I have to believe this is the truth or I think this stuff would really break me.  There was one report, I have no idea if it was just rumor, that a witness saw a stroller fly through the air.  Only real evil will dare to harm the little ones.

• Like 3

Alek Minassian, the suspect who allegedly drove a van into a crowd of pedestrians in Toronto on Monday, reportedly attended a special needs program at his high school and would make meowing noises when he walked the halls.

Shereen Chami, a former classmate at Thornlea Secondary School, told Reuters she remembered him “walking the halls with his hands together and his head down, and making meowing noises.”

"He wasn't a social person, but from what I remember he was absolutely harmless," she said.

Special needs in the Canadian education system encompasses multiple areas, including behavioral difficulties, as well as learning and physical disabilities, according to the report.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/04/24/toronto-van-suspect-reportedly-attended-special-needs-program-made-unusual-noises.html

Edited by aztek

Law enforcement sources have told the New York Post that investigators are examining Facebook posts made by Minassian.

“The Incel Rebellion has already begun!” a Facebook post apparently written by Minassian read, according to the CBC. “We will overthrow all the Chads and Stacys! All hail the Supreme Gentleman Elliot Rodger!”

An “Incel” is a term used by some to mean “involuntarily celibate,” according to CBC, which said it could not confirm if in fact the posts came from Minassian, but noted that they have the same name and photo of Minassian’s LinkedIn photo.

Rodger, 22, killed six people near the University of California at Santa Barbara in a drive-by shooting in 2014. Before the attack, Rodger posted a video about how he didn’t know why girls weren’t attracted to him and how he would “slaughter every single spoiled, stuck-up, blond **** I see inside there,” the Postreported.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/04/24/toronto-van-suspect-reportedly-attended-special-needs-program-made-unusual-noises.html

Edited by aztek

9 hours ago, susieice said:

Then that will come out in his background when it's investigated. All reports said he knowingly and purposefully did what he did. Just because people want to see only what they want to see or hear only what they want to hear, that doesn't make them blind or deaf.

Temporary insanity is a hard defense to present.

Naw, I think we're misunderstanding each other here and we're not on the same page.

To be clear - I'm not defending him or feeling sorry for him, like I'm arguing as his defense lawyer or something, if that's what you're thinking? If it was up to me personally I'd lock him up and throw away the key forever. "F" him! He killed 10 people and injured 15 more. lock him up forever!

All I'm just saying is, he's gotta be nuts to want to mow down and kill a bunch of people for whatever reason or motive or the "why" he did it, knowingly\purposely or not. That's all I'm saying.

• Like 2

so far it looks like he was just upset he could not get a girl.  he had a condition that made him unattractive, and less social.  so far seems there are no ties to any rebel\terrorist group. 

5 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Mental illness strikes again...even without access to guns multiple people are murdered. 

Thank god. Can you imagine the carnage if he had access to an automatic weapon? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

Thank god. Can you imagine the carnage if he had access to an automatic weapon? 

Or had been smart enough to make bombs. 

• Like 1