Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tennessee Shooter In Custody

susieice

Again, someone with a history of mental illness was in possession of a weapon and murdered 4 people at a Waffle House in Tennessee early Saturday morning, wounding 4 more. He was dressed only in a jacket when he opened fire. A customer disarmed him when the shooter started to examine his weapon. Didn't see story posted here, so I will do so.

https://www.wthr.com/article/police-murder-suspect-travis-reinking-in-custody

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/waffle-house-shooting-tennessee-today-live-updates-2018-04-22/

Suspect had already had his weapons confiscated by police after he had been arrested at the White House. A second offense.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-waffle-house-shooting-nashville-20180422-story.html

yea they took his guns and gave them to his father who either returned them to the shooter, or the shooter stole them from his father. definitely was not a case of lack of laws or restrictions

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This guy had numerous incidents showing his mental status. He had an incident at a swimming pool. He had one at the White House. He was telling people he was being stalked by Taylor Swift and his family was in on this. Why were weapons left anywhere within his sight? The police confiscated them. The father certainly should have known better. If the suspect was living in the father's house, then dad shouldn't have had them either imho.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, TonopahRick said:

I wonder if the father will be charged with something.

If he gave his son the rifle after his son's licence was taken away, then that's a felony and he'll be charged as an accessory and possibly with manslaughter.

The more important part of this story for me is the guy who stopped it, taking a bullet in the process. What an absolute hero.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, susieice said:

This guy had numerous incidents showing his mental status. He had an incident at a swimming pool. He had one at the White House. He was telling people he was being stalked by Taylor Swift and his family was in on this. Why were weapons left anywhere within his sight? The police confiscated them. The father certainly should have known better. If the suspect was living in the father's house, then dad shouldn't have had them either imho.

that is one in a million case when i agree, not that he should have been banned, but with son like that living with him, maybe 1 handgun in fingerprint safe for self defense, a safe that he could not open.  hell with son like that i'd lock up garden tools and kitchen knives too,.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, TonopahRick said:

From the third link I posted:

Reinking, federal officials say, tried to cross a security barrier at the White House complex — an incident that resulted in his arrest and later led to the confiscation of his guns and revocation of his firearms license in his home state of Illinois. But the four weapons would end up back in Reinking’s possession after authorities returned them to his father, officials said.

The father had to know his son's license was revoked so he could not legally be in possession. Dad needs to be charged.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, aztek said:

that is one in a million case when i agree, not that he should have been banned, but with son like that living with him, maybe 1 handgun in fingerprint safe for self defense, a safe that he could not open.  hell with son like that i'd lock up garden tools and kitchen knives too,.

Wondering if dad should be banned now. He totally ignored the laws on his own accord.

2 hours ago, TonopahRick said:

He should be. I read the Sheriff said they gave the guns back only because he assured them the kid would not get them back, but that the father admitted to him (the Sheriff) he had given them back after all. Just infuriating. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Why where the guns returned?

Mind you I worked Florida. Things may differ, but the unlawful seizure of personal property is a player here and from what I read the father asked for the guns to be returned to the family and assured the sheriff they would be secured and this kid would never get them back. Once the court cases are over weapons generally do go back and are not kept by officials, unless there is another order by the court or nobody claims it and they get destroyed usually then. We cannot have cops taking things and keeping them without it looking wrong. We cannot do it. 

That Father should face charges for handing them back to his banned, disturbed kid but maybe the apple doesn't fall far from the tree there  :(

JMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Mind you I worked Florida. Things may differ, but the unlawful seizure of personal property is a player here and from what I read the father asked for the guns to be returned to the family and assured the sheriff they would be secured and this kid would never get them back. Once the court cases are over weapons generally do go back and are not kept by officials, unless there is another order by the court or nobody claims it and they get destroyed usually then. We cannot have cops taking things and keeping them without it looking wrong. We cannot do it. 

That Father should face charges for handing them back to his banned, disturbed kid but maybe the apple doesn't fall far from the tree there  :(

JMO.

I find it odd because an incident like this here would result in a sieze and destroy. No question.

I figured thier must be some law that means the items do not belong to the police, and that is fair.

The items do not beling to the Police here either, they belong to the criminal and destroying their property is part of the punishment.

• Like 1

It's shame they didn't or couldn't have admitted him into a mental hospital. Could of avoided all of this in the first place.

1 minute ago, Gunn said:

It's shame they didn't or couldn't have admitted him into a mental hospital. Could of avoided all of this in the first place.

It's a shame many mental hospitals lack the necesities to cater apropriately to these people. The mental health sytem in all countries falls well below any other health business. The problem being there is little money to make from the mentally ill.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kismit said:

I find it odd because an incident like this here would result in a sieze and destroy. No question.

I figured thier must be some law that means the items do not belong to the police, and that is fair.

The items do not beling to the Police here either, they belong to the criminal and destroying their property is part of the punishment.

That would require a court order if the family asked for the return. The Sheriff would have no reason to deny it if Dad has no record, etc. This is routine, to be honest.

This is how the law works after the case closes and a relative wants items used or taken in the prosecution back. It happens daily nation-wide. 

In this case it is 20-20 hindsight. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Not A Rockstar said:

That would require a court order if the family asked for the return. The Sheriff would have no reason to deny it if Dad has no record, etc. This is routine, to be honest.

This is how the law works after the case closes and a relative wants items used or taken in the prosecution back. It happens daily nation-wide. 

In this case it is 20-20 hindsight. 

I figured there was a reason behind it.

11 minutes ago, Kismit said:

It's a shame many mental hospitals lack the necesities to cater apropriately to these people. The mental health sytem in all countries falls well below any other health business. The problem being there is little money to make from the mentally ill.

No we've got some mental and drug addiction hospitals and there are some top notch facilties, problem is they want a small fortune from a family to admit someone. It's not free anymore is the problem. Even going to see a therapist just for anxiety alone is not free in some states. That's were we fall below mental health in other countries. And unfortunately we do make money from the mental ill, by putting them in prisons instead. - ETA - after they've done something, see? They're money makers after that.

Edited by Gunn

3 minutes ago, Gunn said:

No we've got some mental and drug addiction hospitals and there are some top notch facilties, problem is they want a small fortune from a family to admit someone. It's not free anymore is the problem. Even going to see a therapist just for anxiety alone is not free in some states. That's were we fall below mental health in other countries. And unfortunately we do make money from the mental ill, by putting them in prisons instead. - ETA - after they've done something, see? They're money makers after that.

I would sugest that does sound like a system that is failing the mentally ill.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kismit said:

I would sugest that does sound like a system that is failing the mentally ill.

Big time! Or you wouldn't be hearing about so many gun massacres involving the mentally ill over here.

Just now, Gunn said:

Big time! Or you wouldn't be hearing about so many gun massacres involving the mentally ill over here.

There are many, many stories involving the mentally ill, everywhere, most never make it to print.

But we all know that some people in the health industry are more interested in making money from illness than they are in finding cures.

There is more than one Pharmabro

6 minutes ago, Kismit said:

There are many, many stories involving the mentally ill, everywhere, most never make it to print.

But we all know that some people in the health industry are more interested in making money from illness than they are in finding cures.

True. Yeah there are such things as knife and vehicle massacres involving the mentally ill all over the world, but I was specifically talking about massacres with a gun here in the U.S.

True again.