Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man fined £800 after filming dog's 'Nazi salutes'

OverSword

9 hours ago, likwidlite said:

Err no, with getting stabbed or raped there is a 3rd party involved that influences the final outcome. Me reading a title of a video, thinking "that is really going to wind me up" clicking play to find I was right. Is not the same as me putting on a mini skirt going out, then on the way home thinking "that short cut looks pretty shady I'll walk down there" then getting stabbed and raped. The criminal in this case is a third party, I had no control over those actions. In your scenario the video and its offensive content = the shady part of town. Not the criminal. 

Ah, so you mean that the analogy only works  if the person making the video gives it a title like "cute puppies and kittens" , knowing you like cute puppies and kittens, but when you click on the video it turns out to be something highly offensive?  

31 minutes ago, Torchwood said:

Ah, so you mean that the analogy only works  if the person making the video gives it a title like "cute puppies and kittens" , knowing you like cute puppies and kittens, but when you click on the video it turns out to be something highly offensive?  

No, what I'm saying is that under no circumstances is being raped or being a victim to violence the same as being "offended" by watching a video (or anything else).  To compare the two is spitting in the face of anyone who's suffered from violence. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, likwidlite said:

No, what I'm saying is that under no circumstances is being raped or being a victim to violence the same as being "offended" by watching a video (or anything else).  To compare the two is spitting in the face of anyone who's suffered from violence. 

Yeah, I think we can take that for granted...I wasnt in any way trying to say the two incidents were on the same level, and Im baffled that you thought I was.  

What I was comparing was the underlying logic in how we determine whose fault it was...

"But isnt that the exact same argument as saying "if she didnt want to get raped she shouldn't have worn that" or "if he didnt want to get stabbed he shouldn't have been walking through that part of town."   Because thats essentially the argument you're making- "If you didn't want to be offended you shouldn't have watched it".

Seems pretty clear cut when you said this. Anyhow taking the thread off course a bit here aren't we? Let's resume normal service.

4 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

don't think we should fault anyone for trying to make the world a better place. 

I am bad at quoting....I agree with some of what you said and disagree with some...but about the above quote that worked.... "better" is subjective. I'd rather allow free speech, even if some get offended (and who told anyone they have a right to not be offended?!) than stifle ideas and ideals because they don't fit certain peoples agendas...that's more scary than a few people hearing some words they don't like or agree with. What comes next....legislating thoughts or someone's facial expressions?

• Like 2