Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
AnchorSteam

Home invasion repelled with guns

367 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Kismit
1 hour ago, AnchorSteam said:

I know that this is an unfair advantage to have, but those of us who have been in combat know that this is not true.

You may not have the presence of mind to aim your weapon (a surprising number of trained Soldiers don't) but if someone is coming at you with violent intentions, then the animal part of your mind WILL react.

Youth is no guarantee of kindly and honorable behavior... in fact, it is just the opposite. I know it may shock people who have forgotten what it was like to be a kid, but they can be so thoughtlessly vicious because not being that way is learned behavior, it must be taught, and some people never really get the lesson.

This is the major reason why all of the Armies of the world prefer to use 18-20 year olds to do their killing for them. 

You're not quite understanding my point. A trained soldier in a situation of war will attack, that is thier job, it is what they are trained to do.

Me, myself as the mother of two boys that have both made stupid and foolish choices hrough thier teenag years, who has seen good kids (not mine) commit criminal acts because they where dumb teenagers and end up endangered for it, could not pull the triggee wirhout thinking about the wasted lives lost to stupid youth choices.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michelle
20 minutes ago, Kismit said:

I would have gone out there and intervenened before I went to get a weapon.

Yelled out,"Get away from that kid" and brought attention to the man. Made as many witness' as possible aware of the incident and scare the pedophile off.

Obviuos question; what if he had a gun? 

Answer; I would hope he would be smart enough to take flight over fight and give himself more chance to get away. 

I pass by where we keep the gun on the way out the door. I didn't have to go and get it from anywhere. No one else in the neighborhood was home to draw attention to him. It was in broad daylight while everyone was at work except their mother and I. And I was yelling at him.

If he'd had a gun on him I guess we would have found out who would get the drop on who. I was not going to let him grab that child.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dark_Grey
18 minutes ago, Kismit said:

I would have gone out there and intervenened before I went to get a weapon.

Yelled out,"Get away from that kid" and brought attention to the man. Made as many witness' as possible aware of the incident and scare the pedophile off.

Obviuos question; what if he had a gun? 

Answer; I would hope he would be smart enough to take flight over fight and give himself more chance to get away. 

What if he comes after you? The difference in strength between an average man vs an average woman is approx. 80%+ for the man. One solid punch and you'd be seeing stars as he threw you in the truck as well. 

You're trying to make the best out of a very dangerous situation while Michelle ended it without firing a single shot and, more importantly, getting herself within grabbing range of that lunatic. Absolute win for the gun owner here.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dark_Grey
12 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I pass by where we keep the gun on the way out the door. I didn't have to go and get it from anywhere. No one else in the neighborhood was home to draw attention to him. It was in broad daylight while everyone was at work except their mother and I.

If he'd had a gun on him I guess we would have found out who would get the drop on who. I was not going to let him grab that child.

If he had a gun on him, you would still be in the best possible position as now you are equal in power. This exemplifies my argument that gun ownership is also female empowerment. You don't need to be stronger or faster than him: you just have to be accurate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michelle
3 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

If he had a gun on him, you would still be in the best possible position as now you are equal in power. This exemplifies my argument that gun ownership is also female empowerment. You don't need to be stronger or faster than him: you just have to be accurate.

Her husband is in the military and has to spend a large amount of time out of the country. He told me he certainly feels better about leaving because of how quickly I reacted. My insides are still a little shaky though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dark_Grey
16 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Her husband is in the military and has to spend a large amount of time out of the country. He told me he certainly feels better about leaving because of how quickly I reacted. My insides are still a little shaky though.

A little girl got to go home because of your actions. You did good :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michelle
2 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

A little girl got to go home because of your actions. You did good :)

Thank you. I shudder to think what could have happened to her. It didn't really hit me until later.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
internetperson
1 hour ago, Kismit said:

Me, myself as the mother of two boys that have both made stupid and foolish choices hrough thier teenag years, who has seen good kids (not mine) commit criminal acts because they where dumb teenagers and end up endangered for it, could not pull the triggee wirhout thinking about the wasted lives lost to stupid youth choices.

This is from your experience, within your culture. In our (US) culture, it is the mothers/fathers duty to protect the child. So when your door is kicked in it's your duty to protect yourself (kids need their mother/father) and your children. You don't have to dig deep in US news - in virtually any city - to find examples of teens who murder hesitation. 

So I don't mean you wake up in the middle of the night and someone is braking into your car, for that you yell or call the cops or whatever. I'm saying your door is kicked in and you're awakened from sleep, hardly knowing up from down. You have seconds to make a decision. Generally the decision is victim or not. Why would you put your kids in the victim category? You don't know the other folks' intentions. Could be kids looking for a thrill/gang initiation, or could be someone looking to rape, murder and rob.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kismit
1 hour ago, Dark_Grey said:

What if he comes after you? The difference in strength between an average man vs an average woman is approx. 80%+ for the man. One solid punch and you'd be seeing stars as he threw you in the truck as well. 

You're trying to make the best out of a very dangerous situation while Michelle ended it without firing a single shot and, more importantly, getting herself within grabbing range of that lunatic. Absolute win for the gun owner here.

Once. As an innocent bystander, I was witness to a man beating a woman. Knowing full well the risk I took, I physically placed myself between the man and the woman. He drew back his fist to punch me and I said, if you do it, I will charge you with assault. The beating ended.

As a small 14 year old I slapped a much larger 17 year old who was continually bullying my friend. The bullying stopped.

I have taken on  a mongrel scumbag who was intimidated my family. And neo-nazi Skinheads that jumped my son.

I grew up on rough streets and had to be smart and fiesty.

In many cases it is not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog.

And I sure as all heck don't require someone to tell me I can not defend myself because I am just a weak little female. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michelle

I used to as well, Kizzy. But, I'm older now and have had major congestive heart failure. I'm not the scapper I used to be. I do need an equalizer these days. The streets have also gotten a lot meaner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kismit
18 minutes ago, internetperson said:

This is from your experience, within your culture. In our (US) culture, it is the mothers/fathers duty to protect the child. So when your door is kicked in it's your duty to protect yourself (kids need their mother/father) and your children. You don't have to dig deep in US news - in virtually any city - to find examples of teens who murder hesitation. 

So I don't mean you wake up in the middle of the night and someone is braking into your car, for that you yell or call the cops or whatever. I'm saying your door is kicked in and you're awakened from sleep, hardly knowing up from down. You have seconds to make a decision. Generally the decision is victim or not. Why would you put your kids in the victim category? You don't know the other folks' intentions. Could be kids looking for a thrill/gang initiation, or could be someone looking to rape, murder and rob.

And I am only responding because posters are questioning my post.

If they break into my house and want my T.V. or my money.. then they can have it. It is just a T.V. and Im insured.

But in all honesty, I have large dogs, security cameras and other sources of protection, along with what is obviously a bad attitude. Of course I would and do protect my family. But I could not shoot someone. It is just personally who I am.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kismit
5 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I used to as well, Kizzy. But, I'm older now and have had major congestive heart failure. I'm not the scapper I used to be. I do need an equalizer these days. The streets have also gotten a lot meaner.

Now Michelle, I have a small gang of fiesty young men. But we don't have the risks associated with guns you have over there. 

I would say in the four block radius of my house 4 housholds have guns. The police officer around the corner, and three families of hunters.

Also, my 86 year old Nanna, who uses a zimmer frame would still step in to stop a domestic incident.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michelle
5 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Now Michelle, I have a small gang of fiesty young men. But we don't have the risks associated with guns you have over there. 

I would say in the four block radius of my house 4 housholds have guns. The police officer around the corner, and three families of hunters.

I'd rather have guns than kids. They don't cost as much to feed and the kids eventually leave home. :P

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michelle
45 minutes ago, Kismit said:

I would say in the four block radius of my house 4 housholds have guns. The police officer around the corner, and three families of hunters.

I would like to say, I don't know anyone in our neighborhood that doesn't have guns. Not a single one scares me, including the preachers and teachers from the Christian school down the street.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kismit
2 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I would like to say, I don't know anyone in our neighborhood that doesn't have guns. Not a single one scares me, including the preachers and teachers from the Christian school down the street.

And if I am walking down the srteet here, on average,  the chances of somebody having a gun is at a guess .005%

At the momement the chances of 4WD's with lock up gun boxes locked up with guns in them increases that to about 10% because it's the first weekend of duck hunting

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
10 hours ago, Myles said:

Forcibly breaking into a house is threatening.    Wearing masks to hide your face adds to it.   Being armed is the topper.  

They knew who it was, they knew what it was about and there's really no reason to state any lives were in danger, its an overreaction to a perceived threat. 

Quote

Maybe there was time to alert the authorities, but they would not get there in time.   I doubt the group of attackers would wait for you to make a call. 

We dont know because that option was removed. All we do know is one young person is dead and a kid is lying in hospital. 

Nobody can understand that this would only happen in America? This home invasion paranoia has resulted in death over a Facebook fight. That just wouldn't happen where there is gun regulation. This is just an illustration of a worst case scenario. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
internetperson
1 hour ago, Kismit said:

But in all honesty, I have large dogs, security cameras and other sources of protection, along with what is obviously a bad attitude. Of course I would and do protect my family. But I could not shoot someone. It is just personally who I am.

So your cameras record your dogs and your family being victimized?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
3 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

What if he comes after you? The difference in strength between an average man vs an average woman is approx. 80%+ for the man. One solid punch and you'd be seeing stars as he threw you in the truck as well. 

If he comes after someone and also has a gun, there would be no telling of the outcome. 

It offers advantage to both. 

3 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

You're trying to make the best out of a very dangerous situation while Michelle ended it without firing a single shot and, more importantly, getting herself within grabbing range of that lunatic. Absolute win for the gun owner here.

And a gun might scare him off too soon, was the license plate reported? If so, that horrid creature should be in jail right now yeah? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michelle
30 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

And a gun might scare him off too soon, was the license plate reported? If so, that horrid creature should be in jail right now yeah? 

We have a good description of the guy and the truck. We really don't know if he saw their mother or me first. Because of the lush landscapes and where he parked we couldn't get a tag number.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michelle
18 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

This home invasion paranoia has resulted in death over a Facebook fight.

If I remember correctly, you said there were no home invasions in Australia and I provided evidence to the contrary. It did happen because of a Facebook fight. It resulted because someone decided to take physical action over a Facebook fight. They were wrong to attack someone in their own home and they payed the ultimate price. Their decision...regardless if they just wanted to steal pocket change for a new pair of trainers. People should educate their kids better than that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
F3SS

I also read an article in an Australian newspaper the other night where there was a targeted shooting but some young girl was shot too. One of the neighbors being interviewed appearing fed up said matter-of-factly that this happens all the time around here.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
F3SS

I’d like to clarify that she was talking about a specific neighborhood but still. Things do happen there as we keep being told that they don’t. They do and they’d happen even more if there were 325 million people there. Different strokes for differnt folks though. If they’re happy, fine. If we’re happy, fine. That’s really all there is to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
5 hours ago, Michelle said:

We have a good description of the guy and the truck. We really don't know if he saw their mother or me first. Because of the lush landscapes and where he parked we couldn't get a tag number.

Thank you for the additional information, you did better than good and no doubt saved lives, either from death or destruction. I think you're a hero in this instance. I sure hope they get the guy and he rots in prison. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kismit
5 hours ago, internetperson said:

So your cameras record your dogs and your family being victimized?

Not that I've noticed.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
5 hours ago, Michelle said:

If I remember correctly, you said there were no home invasions in Australia and I provided evidence to the contrary.

I honestly don't remember, but willing to give the benefit of the doubt. 

I would have thought I would have, or should have said we don't find it a reasonable excuse to store weapons in homes. 

Quote

 It did happen because of a Facebook fight. It resulted because someone decided to take physical action over a Facebook fight. They were wrong to attack someone in their own home and they payed the ultimate price. Their decision...regardless if they just wanted to steal pocket change for a new pair of trainers. People should educate their kids better than that. 

Yes they should, and kids will be kids. I don't think it should be a death sentence and I don't think lives were saved. I think all parties overreacted and kids got hurt and killed for no good reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.