Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Home invasion repelled with guns

AnchorSteam

5 hours ago, F3SS said:

I’d like to clarify that she was talking about a specific neighborhood but still. Things do happen there as we keep being told that they don’t. They do and they’d happen even more if there were 325 million people there. Different strokes for differnt folks though. If they’re happy, fine. If we’re happy, fine. That’s really all there is to it.

Yes it was Guilford, a primarily Arabic community near Sydney. It would be this story

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/apr/25/girl-13-seriously-injured-in-targeted-sydney-shooting-police-say

Which also states 

Statewide, non-fatal shootings have fallen by 6.9% over five years and 4.4% over 10 years.

In greater Sydney, they have fallen 14.1% in the past five years and 6.4% in the past decade.

Didn't notice you mention that part? 

Numbers dropping, no doubt as they assimilate into our culture. No, it doesn't happen like your saying, this was a target, religious punishment or a drug dealer scuffle. I don't care if the kingpins kill each other, always said that, they are the only ones who can afford guns on our black markets. 

It made the news because its not an everyday incident, we don't have gun crime no matter how many isolated incidents you can dramatise. 

I learned what I could about your country, you should offer the same courtesy when commenting. If we had 325 million, sure it might happen more, but not at schools or such. Not the incidents that you have on a regular basis. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, psyche101 said:

If he comes after someone and also has a gun, there would be no telling of the outcome. 

It offers advantage to both. 

"The Great Equalizer" indeed

• Like 1

12 hours ago, psyche101 said:

made the news because its not an everyday incident, we don't have gun crime no matter how many isolated incidents you can dramatise. 

That’s an oxymoron. Isolated incidents are incidents. You do have gun crime no matter how many times you say you don’t. You keep speaking in absolutes and that’s all I’m pointing out here. It might be minuscule but it exists. That’s fact.

Recently... a criminal broke into a home in the early hours of the morning, intent of mischief and willing to maim. Before he ould advance any further than the doorway, a figure emerged from the dark. Dressed reminscently of a penguin, she has a harsh face, a stern demeanour that brokes no argument. She is armed with a wooden ruler. A glare of contempt crosses her face and, k owing hue has met his match the criminal departed promptly.

yes, another home invasion repelled by a nun.

• Haha 1

On 4/27/2018 at 9:30 PM, AnchorSteam said:

idiocracy.jpg

On that, we can agree. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/5/2018 at 3:25 AM, F3SS said:

That’s an oxymoron. Isolated incidents are incidents. You do have gun crime no matter how many times you say you don’t. You keep speaking in absolutes and that’s all I’m pointing out here.

If I did I could quote myself saying

On 5/4/2018 at 2:34 PM, psyche101 said:

No, it doesn't happen like your saying, this was a target, religious punishment or a drug dealer scuffle. I don't care if the kingpins kill each other, always said that, they are the only ones who can afford guns on our black markets. 

It made the news because its not an everyday incident, we don't have gun crime no matter how many isolated incidents you can dramatise. 

Could I now? 

Isolated incidents are not resulting in school kids getting shot up or facebook fights turning into life and death situations. If someone does foolishly defy our laws and commits a crime with a weapon it's big news because its a shock, people are not used to gun crime and we don't fob it of for selfish personal reasons. Just like you are fobbing of the thread incident to rant on isolated incidents. 

On 5/5/2018 at 3:25 AM, F3SS said:

It might be minuscule but it exists. That’s fact.

There's always an exception to the rule, and miniscule is better than regular in this case any day of the week 

I’m not ranting man. Just calling you on a technicality is all. I didn’t really even make a big deal about that incident. Was just pointing out that they do happen.

On 5/6/2018 at 11:34 AM, F3SS said:

I’m not ranting man. Just calling you on a technicality is all. I didn’t really even make a big deal about that incident. Was just pointing out that they do happen.

Professional hits are not 'the community' our method works and that's all there is to it. We don't have kids being shot up at schools we don't have young people dying over a Facebook fracas. That's just wrong man. 

Here, please accept this peaceful offering from down under. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Professional hits are not 'the community' our method works and that's all there is to it. We don't have kids being shot up at schools we don't have young people dying over a Facebook fracas. That's just wrong man. 

Here, please accept this peaceful offering from down under. 

Thanks, that’s a talented young lady there and I do accept. Unfortunately though, I kind of have to post this. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/family-7-dead-gunshot-wounds-rural-australia-n873301

• Like 2

18 hours ago, F3SS said:

Thanks, that’s a talented young lady there and I do accept. Unfortunately though, I kind of have to post this. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/family-7-dead-gunshot-wounds-rural-australia-n873301

She's brilliant. Amazing young talent. 

That's a tragic killing. There's already a thread on it in the other world part of the forum. It's all over the news here too. 

But that compounds my point. Farmers can have guns here, the freedom you offer to every Tom Dick and Harry. A rural situation is considered a reasonable requirement to deal with predators to protect stock. The small community that this freedom has been entrusted to has abused it and more than once, this is not the first case where a farmer has hit critical financial crisis, and in a state of desperation figures the only way to save his family the pain of bankruptcy, the only option is to kill them all. It's not happening where gun restrictions are in place, it's happening in that small part of the community entrusted with this responsibility. How is that not illustrating that guns inspire irresponsible and irrational behaviour. Perhaps we need to revise those laws so that farmers don't have weapons to take further steps to prevent such needless death. People and guns just don't mix, and in my opinion this well and truly provides a correlation that deserves investigation and drives home the need for regulation.

Edited by psyche101
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2018 at 1:33 PM, Setton said:

Meanwhile in other parts of the world:

'Residents didn't need guns to fight off home invasion because it didn't happen.'

Before you go shouting about how great it is that people use guns to stop a crime, think about why they had to in the first place. 

Yeah, now think about the odds that the person who used a gun to defend their house had it registered. Now how likely do you think it is that those kids got their guns legally?

On 4/30/2018 at 1:36 AM, psyche101 said:

I'll never understand how people can think shooting a 16 year old is OK.

There's an old saying in America - "God created men, Sam Colt made them equal"   I can't understand how you would have reservations about defending your life or, more importantly, the lives of your family against an armed threat, no matter his age.  Teens can and regularly DO kill people in this country.  Whatever issue you may have with that fact notwithstanding, age is no determinate of lethality or morality.  I'm happy for you that you are content with gun laws in OZ.  If the issue of gun deaths is truly important for you, Psyche101, may I suggest donating to some of the families of the hundreds of young black men and their victims who die every year in Chicago?  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, and then said:

There's an old saying in America - "God created men, Sam Colt made them equal"   I can't understand how you would have reservations about defending your life or, more importantly, the lives of your family against an armed threat, no matter his age.  Teens can and regularly DO kill people in this country.  Whatever issue you may have with that fact notwithstanding, age is no determinate of lethality or morality.  I'm happy for you that you are content with gun laws in OZ.  If the issue of gun deaths is truly important for you, Psyche101, may I suggest donating to some of the families of the hundreds of young black men and their victims who die every year in Chicago?  

Sam colt did not make all equal he gave an advantage to the criminal element. With a lax approach to regulation and the promotion of ownership with gun culture your giving a criminal mind the means to take that further. That's a distinct advantage in a life and death situation with someone just wanting to protect themselves. In this case a hot temper resulted in young dead people. That just doesn't happen where this so called equaliser isn't available, this is a direct result of situations being taken to dangerous extremes because of the complacency gun culture breeds. 

Just now, psyche101 said:

Sam colt did not make all equal he gave an advantage to the criminal element. With a lax approach to regulation and the promotion of ownership with gun culture your giving a criminal mind the means to take that further. That's a distinct advantage in a life and death situation with someone just wanting to protect themselves. In this case a hot temper resulted in young dead people. That just doesn't happen where this so called equaliser isn't available, this is a direct result of situations being taken to dangerous extremes because of the complacency gun culture breeds. 

I'll accept the truth of the statement.  I can also say that forest fires destroy homes and lives and are an awful reality.  They will never be stopped because the source of ignition will always be present. The same will always be the case with guns here. THAT is the reality in America, regardless the approval or disapproval of the rest of the civilized world.  The gun-loving culture of America has been around since our inception and it has proven to be a value to the western world at least a couple of times.  Americans who do not want to own firearms are not coerced to do.  People are not randomly gunning down strangers every day here, regardless the perceptions outside the nation.  Most firearm deaths are suicides and after that, murders among associates.  The problem in America - and the rest of the western world is cultural rot and immorality.  The guns raise the butcher's bill, no doubt, but that is a price we are willing (not HAPPY) to bear.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, and then said:

I'll accept the truth of the statement.  I can also say that forest fires destroy homes and lives and are an awful reality.  They will never be stopped because the source of ignition will always be present.

Well that's actually a good exanple. What happens when fire prevention is carried out? 

We get less fires. 

If you took a paddock filled with dead vegetation, cleared it and ploughed it to bare earth, you're not at risk of fire are you? Preventative steps have removed an immediate risk. 

The same will always be the case with guns here. THAT is the reality in America, regardless the approval or disapproval of the rest of the civilized world. 

I'm not in this thread to approve or disapprove, I disagree that this example provides a positive argument for a beneficial aspect of gun ownership. 

The gun-loving culture of America has been around since our inception and it has proven to be a value to the western world at least a couple of times. 

I'm lost here, how has gun culture been of benefit to the western world? 

Americans who do not want to own firearms are not coerced to do.

I disagree, that's exactly what's happening, the current mindset of kill or be killed is great coersion. 

People are not randomly gunning down strangers every day here, regardless the perceptions outside the nation. 

Its not perception, its the headlines, schools being attacked, nightclubs, even accidents. This headline is just another one that provides more reason for the rest of the world to see gun culture in a dim light. 

Most firearm deaths are suicides and after that, murders among associates.  The problem in America - and the rest of the western world is cultural rot and immorality.  The guns raise the butcher's bill, no doubt, but that is a price we are willing (not HAPPY) to bear.

And its one I'm just not seeing value in. As are all those voicing bewilderment at maintaining an outdated and dangerous culture. 

Edited by psyche101

3 hours ago, psyche101 said:

How is that not illustrating that guns inspire irresponsible and irrational behaviour. Perhaps we need to revise those laws so that farmers don't have weapons to take further steps to prevent such needless death. People and guns just don't mix,

On the flip side we have 150-200m or more gun owners and probably more than twice as many guns in this country and only a fraction of a fraction of those people/guns are used in irresponsible ways. That tells me the vast majority are guns in good hands. Remember, we are talking about numbers in the hundreds of millions. That’s one heck of a demonstration of responsibility imo.

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

Well that's actually a good exanple. What happens when fire prevention is carried out? 

We get less fires. 

C57A3BCC-4AE2-42BE-A652-B9A23ECF5CCC.gif.8090bb93727e4f84f586e68f269013bb.gif

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, F3SS said:

On the flip side we have 150-200m or more gun owners and probably more than twice as many guns in this country and only a fraction of a fraction of those people/guns are used in irresponsible ways. That tells me the vast majority are guns in good hands. Remember, we are talking about numbers in the hundreds of millions. That’s one heck of a demonstration of responsibility imo.

Purely mathematically, WE’RE the irresponsible gun owners because we have far fewer guns therefore a greater ratio of gun ownsership to gun violence.

Just now, F3SS said:

I don’t see a difference teacher.

Less would mean fires of an heat/destructive intensity lower than previously seen. Fewer means that the number of fires is reduced.

Just now, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Purely mathematically, WE’RE the irresponsible gun owners because we have far fewer guns therefore a greater ratio of gun ownsership to gun violence.

If you say so. I don’t know how much gun violence you have but I’ve always felt that it’s irrelevant when what really matters is how much deadly violence of any kind a society has. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2018 at 5:55 PM, Michelle said:

We have a good description of the guy and the truck. We really don't know if he saw their mother or me first. Because of the lush landscapes and where he parked we couldn't get a tag number.

They got the guy. He is a registered sex offender in three states.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Michelle said:

They got the guy. He is a registered sex offender in three states.

That’s good and relieving news. Probably still freaks you out someone like that was in your front yard. I hope he’s sent away for long time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, F3SS said:

Well you know its the irresponsible contingent that take innocent lives that I don't feel is properly identified for the real terrorist threat that it is. But I find it concerning that so many feel the need to own a deadly weapon, you don't find that need outlines the very problem? 

1 hour ago, F3SS said:

That’s good and relieving news. Probably still freaks you out someone like that was in your front yard. I hope he’s sent away for long time.

You're not kidding. He'd tried to abduct another child in a different neighborhood and exposed himself to two others. All the local news had the lookout for a man fitting his description. My neighbor's nine year old picked him out of six pictures the detective showed her. His truck matches the description too. I may have to testify in court, but whatever it takes.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2