Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lucid dream or sleep paralysis? Perhaps both?

xBaena

I fell asleep right after school around 5:30PM and woke up around 10:50PM. I was awaken by my mother's arrival. I slowly got up and made my way to her to say hello and see if she brought any food. She said "no, sorry son." So I went ahead and grabbed 2 yogurt cups and said "it's okay, I'll eat some yogurt". I went directly to my bed and ate my yogurt there. I was still a bit tired since it wasn't that long ago that I woke up from bed. I hate being awake when its time to go to bed so I went towards my parents room to grab a sleeping pill, just In case I wouldn't be able to fall asleep again. Once I took the pill and went towards my room and watched some YouTube on my phone until I fell asleep. 

Ive experienced many sleep paralysis and when I fell asleep I felt the effects of it when it was kicking in. Eventually I was frozen. I usually don't get that scared since it's a usual thing. I felt and heard 2 men but not just any men but evil. They were whispering and silently giggling while gently massaging my face with their long thick nails. After a while I woke up. I didn't get up terrified but I was like what the hell was I experiencing. When woke up I notice the effects of the sleeping pill hit me hard, I could barely open my eyes. I was so tired. In a matter of seconds I fall asleep again and quickly had another sleep paralysis. I notice the same ambiance of evil again, it was the same 2 men, well I wasn't sure if they were men since all I could see were their hands. This time I was facing the wall and out of nowhere I see a hand appear from under my bed, squeezing between the bed and the wall to grab my face. That part was really scarry since it came out of nowhere. Under my bed there's another bed and brother was sleeping there. Somehow I managed to roll over while I was paralyzed and landed on my brothers bed. I tried touching him but my body was locked tight. I also tried screaming but nothing would come out. I was literally kind of on top of my brother. Suddenly I felt the hands of the evil thing slowly touching my neck and making it's way up to the top of my head with it's sharp nails. I felt so real. Suddenly I wake up again and i was in my bed. I woke up confused, I wanted to tell my brother If i somehow fell into his bed but he was asleep. Perhaps maybe he picked me up or I was just dreaming. I layed in my bed holding my eyes open as hard as possible, trying to make some sense out of it. I told myself if it happens again then I was totally dreaming. This time when closed my eyes i started hallucinating white lines forming into octagons. They seemed to go through me and behind those more would appear. It was like one of those psychedelic drawings that people experience when their in drugs. I was fascinated so I tried focusing on it more and eventually I felt sucked in and everything went pitch black. My body felt like it was flying and spinning while just starring at a pitch black room. Eventually in a matter of seconds i was again experiencing a sleep paralysis with the same evil things. In that moment I knew In was having a Lucid dream of having a sleep paralysis. I was aware but somehow I couldn't do anything to break free. I rolled over my brothers bed again to see if I would appear in my bed when I woke up. When I woke up, i was on my bed as I predicted.

What was this? Sleep paralysis or a Lucid dream?

Edited by xBaena

Could have been both. It doesn't really matter, though. You can stop it. 

Here are some things you can do.

If you find yourself in paralysis, try moving a body part (some people say the big toe). 
Also, you can try to say a prayer or mantra (in your head if you have to). Anything you believe in strongly.
If you have an episode, don't go right back to sleep because you can snap right back into it. Get up and move around a bit.
Get plenty of sleep. Insomnia contributes to it. 
Try not to nap or sleep on your back.
If you find that you can move and you see something you don't want to...put your hand through it. They're sort of like smoke. They dissipate.

If you find that it continues, you can do a simple banishment. Something from your belief system, or you can find the LBRP on youtube.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Could have been both. It doesn't really matter, though. You can stop it. 

Here are some things you can do.

If you find yourself in paralysis, try moving a body part (some people say the big toe). 
Also, you can try to say a prayer or mantra (in your head if you have to). Anything you believe in strongly.
If you have an episode, don't go right back to sleep because you can snap right back into it. Get up and move around a bit.
Get plenty of sleep. Insomnia contributes to it. 
Try not to nap or sleep on your back.
If you find that you can move and you see something you don't want to...put your hand through it. They're sort of like smoke. They dissipate.

If you find that it continues, you can do a simple banishment. Something from your belief system, or you can find the LBRP on youtube.

The LBRP, isn't that a satanic ritual. Excuse me if I'm wrong, it's just that I search it up and saw lots of red stars. Forgive me if I offend. Thanks for the rest of tips though, will use every bit of it!

If it worries you don't use it. Use something you have from your own belief system. Pray. If you believe in God, prayer works great. 

Also get knowledgeable about side effects of sleeping pills. Google things like "ambien hallucinations" or other terms and read. A lot of what you report is classic side effects from the main active in Ambien. I won't take anything like that myself, as a result.  My dreams can be busy enough.

Take care of yourself and welcome to the forums here :)

• Like 2

Maybe try melatonin dual 5mg fast/5mg delayed. For both 3-5 hr usual 2 sleep cycles. Take with fast dissolve baby asperin for boosted effect. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you goofed yourself there bud.

I used to be big into lucid dreaming, had sleep paralysis ect.

First off I have been prescribed sleeping pills before and if you force yourself to stay up you hallucinate.  An affect of staying up passed through its effects.

I often had sleep paralysis if I let's say went to bed at 2pm for like 5 hours, it's now 7pm and I where to go back to bed at 9pm. I chalk it up too me already being partly rested so I prematurely awake whilet in rem sleep. 

In your case like stated above you had a mixture of hallucinaions for taking a sleeping pill after your nap/snack. And hallucinations from the paralysis as your body wasn't as tired as you thought it was but was forced to do so.

I really hope this makes sense xD hope all is swell.

• Like 2

My friend has experienced something incredibly similar since he was a small boy, and reluctantly told me in confidence. Perhaps all of those things commented above are a factor. But they dont answer your question. And no spell you find on the internet will work, doesnt matter how many dark edgy adjectives the author of the spell has in there name. Because actual influence is hard to acquire. For good reasons. Now, in a dream, time is percieved differently. Ex. 1 second equals a minute. May not be true, but its a example. Now what if you entered a ackward stage between astral projection and dreaming. Were your mind was conciously awake but still percieving time at a dreams time dilation. All the while, unable to leave the proximity of your body. Now, our eyes usually can only absorb so many frame rates of info a second. So what if you were seeing entities that normally are operating on that same time dilation as the "dream" state. But in our normal state would than be moving faster than our eyes could absorb. Theres alot more to it than that. But i dont wanna make you read a bunch. , dont take my word for it, just food for thought.

Also theres nothing you can do about them if they do actually exist xD you should try to use romanized christain mythos to solve your problems. Or perhaps some ritual thats played a game of telephone since its creation in a time when people understood there purpose. 

Edited by Keymaster
To prove a point
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, in Revelation, Jesus says for those who can't wake up and be watchful, he will come like a thief in the night. So, I take it as a personal responsibility to stay awake awhile everytime I wake up in the night and make sure everything seems right. It really starts to become an important skill, and one of the benefits I've found is remembering obscure dreams. Because if you don't get out of bed you may fall asleep and forget the dream forever, especially if you dream again, it's like the dreams get stolen, and I think remembering these quick dreams by getting up immediately gives people a great power.

So, if these episodes happen again my advice would be to get out of bed immediately and give a quick prayer for them. It would be better to get up and permanently defeat them with prayer, and burn them asunder, than to fall back asleep on them.

I had suffered from sleep paralysis for about ten years, which went hand in hand with insomnia. Whenever I would be paralyzed I would just focus on moving my pinkie. There were numerous times when I'd have the  company of an old hag or a tall man with a hat, both menacing, but I would just ignore them and focus on that pinkie. Once I could even wiggle that I could unparylize myself and the creepy party guests would disappear. 

Also, you aren't meant to be on sleeping pills for a long time. They're meant to be used for a week or two to get the body back into its natural sleep cycle. 

On 4/25/2018 at 9:38 AM, xBaena said:

I fell asleep right after school around 5:30PM and woke up around 10:50PM. I was awaken by my mother's arrival. I slowly got up and made my way to her to say hello and see if she brought any food. She said "no, sorry son." So I went ahead and grabbed 2 yogurt cups and said "it's okay, I'll eat some yogurt". I went directly to my bed and ate my yogurt there. I was still a bit tired since it wasn't that long ago that I woke up from bed. I hate being awake when its time to go to bed so I went towards my parents room to grab a sleeping pill, just In case I wouldn't be able to fall asleep again. Once I took the pill and went towards my room and watched some YouTube on my phone until I fell asleep. 

Ive experienced many sleep paralysis and when I fell asleep I felt the effects of it when it was kicking in. Eventually I was frozen. I usually don't get that scared since it's a usual thing. I felt and heard 2 men but not just any men but evil. They were whispering and silently giggling while gently massaging my face with their long thick nails. After a while I woke up. I didn't get up terrified but I was like what the hell was I experiencing. When woke up I notice the effects of the sleeping pill hit me hard, I could barely open my eyes. I was so tired. In a matter of seconds I fall asleep again and quickly had another sleep paralysis. I notice the same ambiance of evil again, it was the same 2 men, well I wasn't sure if they were men since all I could see were their hands. This time I was facing the wall and out of nowhere I see a hand appear from under my bed, squeezing between the bed and the wall to grab my face. That part was really scarry since it came out of nowhere. Under my bed there's another bed and brother was sleeping there. Somehow I managed to roll over while I was paralyzed and landed on my brothers bed. I tried touching him but my body was locked tight. I also tried screaming but nothing would come out. I was literally kind of on top of my brother. Suddenly I felt the hands of the evil thing slowly touching my neck and making it's way up to the top of my head with it's sharp nails. I felt so real. Suddenly I wake up again and i was in my bed. I woke up confused, I wanted to tell my brother If i somehow fell into his bed but he was asleep. Perhaps maybe he picked me up or I was just dreaming. I layed in my bed holding my eyes open as hard as possible, trying to make some sense out of it. I told myself if it happens again then I was totally dreaming. This time when closed my eyes i started hallucinating white lines forming into octagons. They seemed to go through me and behind those more would appear. It was like one of those psychedelic drawings that people experience when their in drugs. I was fascinated so I tried focusing on it more and eventually I felt sucked in and everything went pitch black. My body felt like it was flying and spinning while just starring at a pitch black room. Eventually in a matter of seconds i was again experiencing a sleep paralysis with the same evil things. In that moment I knew In was having a Lucid dream of having a sleep paralysis. I was aware but somehow I couldn't do anything to break free. I rolled over my brothers bed again to see if I would appear in my bed when I woke up. When I woke up, i was on my bed as I predicted.

What was this? Sleep paralysis or a Lucid dream?

For around five years I have experienced the exact same thing. Personally I do not believe that prayers work however when you are able to move again, you will still find it difficult as you will feel heavy. And most of the time this just draws you back into sleep. You NEED to make sure to move around your legs or anything after you have an episode. Do not attempt to flail around when you cannot move as this will make you more scared and make it more unpleasant. This always typically happens when you have slept, woken and then sleep around 45 minutes to a couple of hours afterwards. Many people take advantage of this and refer to it as the "Wake back to bed" technique. This is because you are in a lucid state during these episodes but I imagine that we are both similar when we are aware of dreaming... we fear that we can have nightmares so then it just manages to crawl into it. It happens every time I figure out that I am dreaming and within a couple of seconds I have distorted screaming shattering my ear drums and it feels like I have all of my senses. It feels very real. But I am not as scared of it as I used to be as I am typically used to it. All there really is to it is if you try to keep calm and collected then it will be less severe. I am not a doctor or anything, just a regular guy. I am just speaking from personal experience. Also I heard you shouldn't sleep on your back because that is also a factor. However, this has never been the case for me. I always sleep on my side and it still happens.

As for your question, it generally transitions between sleep paralysis and a lucid dream. When I open my eyes while I am in this situation, I can see my surroundings and half the time there will be no hallucinating however the other half of the time there will be. When I close my eyes then it looks exactly like a dream... as if the darkness is a canvas. But I always hear and feel the same. And since our mind is awake we are aware of everything we are sensing. It really is just so weird and terrifying. They are never good hallucinations either... they are things that not even your common nightmare could dream of.