Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Debunking common skeptical arguments against

macqdor

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I didn't attribute it to anyone. It was a blanket statement. I have you on ignore and the only reason I'm bothering with a respond is due to that annoying notification glitch.

Oh ok. Just as well I suppose. I honestly hope your issues that you’ve projected on to me get better. 

Funny though I never figured you for a mm never mind 

3 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Oh ok. Just as well I suppose. I honestly hope your issues that you’ve projected on to me get better. 

Funny though I never figured you for a mm never mind 

I have you on ignore. So there's no real chance of me getting banned again, due to any further interaction. Because once the glitch is fixed, I won't know who's quoted me. 

21 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I have you on ignore. So there's no real chance of me getting banned again, due to any further interaction. Because once the glitch is fixed, I won't know who's quoted me. 

You got banned? Ouch. I’m sorry about that man. I should have just stopped talking when I knew I should have. If I would have known, I would have stopped.  Not taking full responsibility for that, but that sucks. Sorry for my part in it. 

3 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

You got banned? Ouch. I’m sorry about that man. I should have just stopped talking when I knew I should have. If I would have known, I would have stopped.  Not taking full responsibility for that, but that sucks. Sorry for my part in it. 

We were both at fault, but that's in the past and I did as was requested of me. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Right. Just like one day things like say other dimensions might make it into the same category, and be perfectly acceptable, maybe even somewhat understood. 

They are theorised now. They are quite carefully considered, and are proposed to exist at a subatomic scale. Your projecting a Sci Fi understanding and version of dimensions. It's another direction, have a think about our dimensions and apply that to what you are describing. Are you more specifically referring to a multiverse situation perhaps in macro dimensions? Because I really don't see that to be likely to support superstitious ideals either. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Your problem isn’t with me, but with the quantum physicists who I’ve heard directly say they have witnessed particles appear from nothing. 

Of course you don’t care what I think, you wouldn’t care what anyone thinks. That how self deception works. You build a world view from your personal experiences, then you cling to them for dear life. We all do it

They also say 'nothing' is not empty, it's not the traditional use of the word. It's a popularised term to help bridge the gap to the layman. 

It pays to listen to the entire explanation, and attempt to understand what is being described 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Harte said:

Given your avatar, I'm sure you'd be fascinated by string theory.

Harte

Yes, I am rather fond of the G but not so much the Shoe string aspects of the theory ...

~

• Like 2

6 hours ago, psyche101 said:

They are theorised now. They are quite carefully considered, and are proposed to exist at a subatomic scale. Your projecting a Sci Fi understanding and version of dimensions. It's another direction, have a think about our dimensions and apply that to what you are describing. Are you more specifically referring to a multiverse situation perhaps in macro dimensions? Because I really don't see that to be likely to support superstitious ideals either. 

Well no I’m not married to any idea of what that might mean. Just think it opens the door to many possibilities. 

We had a massive storm here last night, and I’m not sure how long our power will be out. Looks like it might be a while. So I gotta preserve what power I have left on my phone. 

I’ll be back once this mess is straightened out 

On 15/05/2018 at 2:39 PM, preacherman76 said:

My goodness. Whatever I guess. One question though. Let’s assume the Big Bang is true. How do we know that wasn’t equivalent to a single rain drop landing in an ocean? That this universe is so massive, maybe even eternal, goes on indefinitely? 

If that’s the case, obviously of which we have no way of probably ever knowing, wouldn’t that render all our efforts to measure, hell to understand anything on a grand scale completely useless?

To me this is the best example of complete self delusion, deception. I guess if If makes you folks feel better. No harm no foul. 

Just a side point, and I honestly mean this.  It’s hilarious how angry you folks get over this. You actually think you know measurements of the universe. We are still gathering around the camp fire telling stories. 

I don't understand the question, but you do realise that the universe didn't exist before the inflationary period? So saying that the "big bang was a drop in the ocean" is kinda meaningless.

Secondly, yes, we get angry when there is a hugely important area of our lives - science and technology - which has given us the modern world we enjoy, extended lifespans and given huge numbers of people massively comfortable livings - being trashed online by people who can't be bothered to learn the basics and think that ignorance is something to be proud of.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Your problem isn’t with me, but with the quantum physicists who I’ve heard directly say they have witnessed particles appear from nothing. 

...and I'm guessing you haven't taken the time to understand what they mean by "particles", "appear" or "nothing" have you?

9 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

...and I'm guessing you haven't taken the time to understand what they mean by "particles", "appear" or "nothing" have you?

Don't forget the qualifier "seem to."

Harte