Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ex-cop Arrested For Serial Murder and Rape

susieice

An ex-cop has been arrested under suspicion that he is the East Area Rapists, also known as the Golden State Killer. Currently 72 yrs old, he is suspected of committing 12 homicides, 45 rapes and numerous burglaries. This solves a case that spanned 10 years in the San Francisco area. The crimes spread from 1976-1986.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Report-East-Area-Rapist-who-murdered-12-12863488.php

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Golden-State-Killer-480819381.html

• Like 8

Here's a good Investigation Discovery show about the case. He was one of the most prolific serial attackers in California history and one of the longest unsolved serial criminal in the US. Sure hope they got the right man.

https://www.investigationdiscovery.com/tv-shows/golden-state-killer-its-not-over/full-episodes/all-i-knew-was-fear?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=sf187757264&utm_campaign=investigationdiscovery&sf187757264=1

• Like 8

In 1986, he was last reported to have killed in Goleta and Irvine areas before disappearing entirely.

Very unusual for serial killers and rapists to just stop. Wonder what he turned to if his age restricted his agile mobilty?

Hope they are searching his computer...something tells me he would have been into  things of a sinister nature on line as he aged and the www came about. 

DNA did not come about untll a bit later, hence he would for sure be keeping a low profile, at that stage, but did not stop him using his computer. Serial klllers and rapists only stop for 2 reasons:

Death

They get caught.

He is being held without bail, so they are pretty certain its him and just because he resembles the photofits are not enough..the police likely have dna matches now.

Him being an ex police man is no shocker....as he was sacked for stealing in 1979...3 years after the killings began and 7 years before they stopped.

..he is charged for 2 murders only...so far. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, susieice said:

Here's a good Investigation Discovery show about the case. He was one of the most prolific serial attackers in California history and one of the longest unsolved serial criminal in the US. Sure hope they got the right man.

https://www.investigationdiscovery.com/tv-shows/golden-state-killer-its-not-over/full-episodes/all-i-knew-was-fear?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=sf187757264&utm_campaign=investigationdiscovery&sf187757264=1

Can not watch as not subscibed. Will seek elsewhere but reckon we will hear more as this unfolds. 

Seems they have the right man, no bail, but....he is only charged for 2 of the murders so far, so it is going to be a tough one for the prosecution, the evidence to convict him for all tbe murders / rapes and break-ins may be a hard one to gather. 

But as i pointed out, these serial killers / rapists do not stop, so i wonder what else they can get him on? 

• Like 2

The program in post #2 unfortunately has 4 commercial breaks that you need to sit through, but the program is worth watching. It seems police found a badge at one of the crime scenes but later dropped the theory about the perp being in law enforcement or the military. After the news reported attacks never occurred when a male was present, the perp seems to have taken it as a challenge and 2/3 of the attacks after involved men being incapacitated before the attacks happened. Some involved children being present in the home.

It also seems there is a part 2 which I will see if I can find. I was 20 yo when this spree began, but I do not remember hearing about it. 

Need to edit: The second part of the episode is locked.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

This program is Dateline. If you can't access ID, you should be able to watch this one.

• Like 2

If you're a watcher of HLN, ID or even Oxygen then you've no doubt been bombarded by documentaries about the Golden State Killer for the last couple of months. I've been an avid watcher of updates on these cases for a while and always assumed they'd never catch the guy alive. I'm hoping they've got the right individual. But, the best part of all of this(if he's the actual guy) is that Patton Oswalt had a small part in bringing him down.

• Like 2

I used to watch those channels but haven't recently. They must have been closing in on the individual they just arrested and the documentaries were being aired. YouTube is now full of videos about the arrest. I sure hope they got the right guy.

• Haha 1

This is the suspect that was arrested. The article is quite long. Apparently there were run ins with neighbors and he was known for his loud swearing rants.

https://heavy.com/news/2018/04/joseph-james-deangelo/

Edited by susieice
  • Haha 1

Just watched the news conference. A lot of "secrecy" about the type of DNA evidence used to get him. I'm guessing it's an experimental familial link type that gave them a list of people they had to narrow down.

Hoping that because of his age he decides to just spill the beans on his history.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, The Narcisse said:

Just watched the news conference. A lot of "secrecy" about the type of DNA evidence used to get him. I'm guessing it's an experimental familial link type that gave them a list of people they had to narrow down.

Hoping that because of his age he decides to just spill the beans on his history.

Just found a link about DNA being used. Listened to a podcast from a Sacramento TV station. Interviews with family members of the victims but all talking about the case preceding the arrest. 

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/LA-COPY-Arrest-in-Golden-State-Killer-Case-480828091.html

• Like 2

Tonight's news said the break linking the DNA to the ex-cop came 6 days ago. More charges will be filed soon. Many of the early crimes took place while he was an officer. They are investigating to see if any took place while he was on duty. I'm thinking burglaries but possibly rapes.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/25/us/golden-state-killer-development/index.html

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

It seems like these old cases get solved when there is an extended period of publicity regarding them.  What I mean is that I only recently had heard about the Golden State Killer, and now they have him in custody.  Same thing with the Unabomber case.  

The next one they need to capture is Zodiac...

• Like 1

Here's how they used DNA to find him. 

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/26/golden-state-killer-caught-using-relatives-dna-from-genealogy-websites-officials-say.html

Then they got "discarded" DNA from his home and it matched to the crime scene evidence. That could be anything from his garbage that would contain saliva, hair, personal items.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/26/us/golden-state-killer-case-suspect/index.html

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

That's scary.

It makes a lot of sense, though, that someone like that would seek out a position of power. 

• Like 1

Nothing worse than a bad cop. If he is guilty, hang him. He is no "bro" of mine.

someone asked about Zodiac above, and I really feel in my guts zodiac is dead tbh. 

as for why this one stopped, maybe his accomplices died? Just guessing. Or worse, he did it because he could not because he was mentally ill and had a choice to be able to stop. Most rapes are about power, not the S word. Maybe he was really about the power trip, was a walking void, but not actually ill, if you know what I mean? Some folks are just sadists and not out of control. They are just ugly things inside. Maybe he just got bored or realized if he kept on he'd be caught, so quit.

• Like 5

They said he's talking. Hopefully we'll know more soon. He's now charged with 8 counts of murder. I was watching a live feed outside his home that the local CBS station in Sacramento is showing. CBS13 I think. It just shows the front of the house with a boat in the driveway but local people are posting in that there's digging going on in the yard. Don't know. Makes no sense to just keep a camera focused on his house. I got it on Facebook.

Edited by susieice

People want them views for that sweet $$!

Now the issue is being raised if there was a breach of privacy when police entered the unknown DNA from the crime scenes into the ancestry websites, much like they can enter it into the NCIS to see if it ever hits. Apparently, it hit on a distant relative and police were able to narrow it down to the suspect. They went to his house, obtained discarded DNA (probably from the garbage) and it matched. Is your DNA protected when you submit it to trace your ancestry? Or can your DNA unknowingly be used to trace crime scene DNA? I'm just glad they caught this guy after all he did. He was terrorizing some of his victims by phone twenty years later. Police think at times he saw and recognized some of his former victims. A lot of people are glad they got him, but was the process within legal limits? 

https://www.9news.com.au/world/2018/04/27/19/05/dna-testing-golden-state-killer-arrest

41 minutes ago, susieice said:

Now the issue is being raised if there was a breach of privacy when police entered the unknown DNA from the crime scenes into the ancestry websites, much like they can enter it into the NCIS to see if it ever hits. Apparently, it hit on a distant relative and police were able to narrow it down to the suspect. They went to his house, obtained discarded DNA (probably from the garbage) and it matched. Is your DNA protected when you submit it to trace your ancestry? Or can your DNA unknowingly be used to trace crime scene DNA? I'm just glad they caught this guy after all he did. He was terrorizing some of his victims by phone twenty years later. Police think at times he saw and recognized some of his former victims. A lot of people are glad they got him, but was the process within legal limits? 

https://www.9news.com.au/world/2018/04/27/19/05/dna-testing-golden-state-killer-arrest

I saw this and have to admit I was a little creeped out by it. I knew there was something that was going to come out to be weird about the DNA sample just from the way they acted about it at the news conference. My guess is they were awaiting their lawyers to give them a briefing on what they could and couldn't say about it since it's not a normal police tactic, especially if the part of the story about them not having a warrant is true.

1 hour ago, The Narcisse said:

I saw this and have to admit I was a little creeped out by it. I knew there was something that was going to come out to be weird about the DNA sample just from the way they acted about it at the news conference. My guess is they were awaiting their lawyers to give them a briefing on what they could and couldn't say about it since it's not a normal police tactic, especially if the part of the story about them not having a warrant is true.

Yeh. I don't know if they could get a warrant for an unknown donor, or a blanket warrant. From what I understand, they just submitted the DNA from one of the crime scenes and looked for some type of a hit, just like if they were in the NCIS. They got several and were able to narrow it down to this suspect. Then they DNA tested his garbage and got a match. 

DNA technology was in it's infancy when these crimes happened. In 2001 they were able to test DNA from crime scenes in Sacramento and Irvine and other areas and found it was the same person who committed the crimes up and down the length of California. They still couldn't match the DNA to a suspect. Not until they took a chance and looked for his relatives.

Edited by susieice

He's now suspected in a 13th murder. What's scary is that as a police officer, he was involved in the investigations of some of his earlier crimes. I can't say I'm sorry they caught this guy! 

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/nationworld/ct-golden-state-killer-suspect-20180426-story.html

DeAngelo made his first court appearance today.

According to the website the police used, GEDmatch,  it is in their policy that users know that the DNA submitted could be used in an incident like this. They are telling people not to submit their DNA or remove it from the website if you don't agree with this. Looks like the police were within the rules.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-golden-state-killer-genealogy-20180427-story.html

Edited by susieice

Yep. Police didn't need a warrant, although Ancestry. com and some others require them, but may cooperate if presented with one. They suggest you don't upload your DNA if you aren't sure it can lead to a criminal arrest. I wonder how many people who did something themselves uploaded into these sites.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/27/golden-state-killer-suspects-arrest-raising-privacy-concerns-due-to-use-genealogy-dna-testing-site.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/the-latest-dna-site-says-it-didnt-know-about-use-by-police/ar-AAwqhI4

Edited by susieice

On 4/26/2018 at 8:48 PM, Not A Rockstar said:

Nothing worse than a bad cop. If he is guilty, hang him. He is no "bro" of mine.

someone asked about Zodiac above, and I really feel in my guts zodiac is dead tbh. 

as for why this one stopped, maybe his accomplices died? Just guessing. Or worse, he did it because he could not because he was mentally ill and had a choice to be able to stop. Most rapes are about power, not the S word. Maybe he was really about the power trip, was a walking void, but not actually ill, if you know what I mean? Some folks are just sadists and not out of control. They are just ugly things inside. Maybe he just got bored or realized if he kept on he'd be caught, so quit.

I heard that he went off the deep end when his old fiancee broke up with him. He evidently called one or more victims by her name. He probably retired from his crimes due to his age. There aren't a ton of elderly serial murderers.