Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ex-cop Arrested For Serial Murder and Rape

susieice

14 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

I heard that he went off the deep end when his old fiancee broke up with him. He evidently called one or more victims by her name. He probably retired from his crimes due to his age. There aren't a ton of elderly serial murderers.

He stopped killing in 1986 PP. He got away hidden for 40 years. I heard he may have stopped because he found out about the new DNA technology coming out through his police connections. He called and tormented a few of his victims on the phone many years later. Ironic if that's true and it ended up catching him in the end anyway.

2 minutes ago, susieice said:

He stopped killing in 1986 PP. He got away hidden for 40 years. I heard he may have stopped because he found out about the new DNA technology coming out through his police connections. He called and tormented a few of his victims on the phone many years later. Ironic if that's true and it ended up catching him in the end anyway.

That's probably true, but it's not definite. They could link him to other murders and other rapes that took place after that year. His case aside, many killers age out of homicidal crimes. There's a golden window of activity that lessens after a certain point in time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

That's probably true, but it's not definite. They could link him to other murders and other rapes that took place after that year. His case aside, many killers age out of homicidal crimes. There's a golden window of activity that lessens after a certain point in time.

I'd say there's a chance there were others. The investigation is full force now and they say the suspect is cooperating.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, susieice said:

I'd say there's a chance there were others. The investigation is full force now and they say the suspect is cooperating.

I don't think BTK stopped killing either, they'll probably find more skeletons in his closet before all this done. . .

• Like 1

23 hours ago, susieice said:

It wouldn't shock me one way or the other. I tend to think that he stopped due to his acquaintance with new DNA tests (which is quite ironic). He might have committed more crimes were it not for that, but that's an extremely big "might" due to his age. Most serial murderers, like various criminals, age out of crime.

• Like 1

DeAngelo has now been charged with 12 counts of murder.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/11/golden-state-killer-suspect-faces-4-more-murder-counts-authorities-say.html

A theory is swirling that the killings started because of a break up with a woman DeAngelo wanted to marry.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/golden-state-killer-suspect-charged-four-more-murders-total-12-n873201

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

There was an interesting documentary on this case on Sky which is available on NowTV (if you have access to it) or you could try and find it elsewhere but it's called "Unmasking a killer, The Golden State Killer". Another, interesting listen was a podcast that I stumbled upon one evening called Casefile and its a five part show  (and an update about when the EAR/GSK was eventually caught) detailing the crimes, I personally highly recommend it. 

If my memory serves me correctly, he was wanted for the total of 50 rapes and 12 murders in total but only been charged with two? 

Edited by Dark_Illusion
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dark_Illusion said:

There was an interesting documentary on this case on Sky which is available on NowTV (if you have access to it) or you could try and find it elsewhere but it's called "Unmasking a killer, The Golden State Killer". Another, interesting listen was a podcast that I stumbled upon one evening called Casefile and its a five part show  (and an update about when the EAR/GSK was eventually caught) detailing the crimes, I personally highly recommend it. 

If my memory serves me correctly, he was wanted for the total of 50 rapes and 12 murders in total but only been charged with two? 

He was charged with two initially but has now been charged with 12. He is under suspicion for a series of cat burglaries now also.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, susieice said:

He was charged with two initially but has now been charged with 12. He is under suspicion for a series of cat burglaries now also.

Ah okay, it shows how behind I am on following the case.. I'll have to research it some more and get up to date.. Let's hope the victims get the closure and the justice they deserve, the only concern I have is with his age, will he really get what he deserves? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dark_Illusion said:

Ah okay, it shows how behind I am on following the case.. I'll have to research it some more and get up to date.. Let's hope the victims get the closure and the justice they deserve, the only concern I have is with his age, will he really get what he deserves? 

The case has been really fluid. They said the suspect was cooperating, so he may be confessing to things. At his age, he's looking at life in prison, so maybe he feels there's nothing to lose now. I'm sure he was proud for many years of alluding police. They said he was very shocked when he was arrested.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Police had collected several samples of DeAngelo's DNA to match to the crime scenes. Arrest and search warrants were released by a judge yesterday.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/02/us/golden-state-killer-unsealed-warrants/index.html

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Pennsylvania just used this technique to capture a man who murdered a 25 yr old teacher in Lancaster in 1992. Police said this man was never on their radar. They had exhausted all leads long ago.

https://lancasteronline.com/news/local/raymond-dj-freez-rowe-arrested-for-murder-of-schoolteacher-christy/article_f05a2ee4-78b2-11e8-ad10-4382ef42f96d.html

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

One of the phone calls he made to a victim was recorded and has been circling around the internet, it’s pretty creepy. Insane how they caught him though! I’m sure he must have had 1 or more accomplices along the timeline, one of the victims said there were two men when she was attacked too

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Will he plead guilty or innocent?  The evidence against him is incredible.........His trial will be expensive and may out do the Simpson trial in interest from what has been projected........How in the world he he operate so long and not get caught...................44 yrs..............THAT IS QUITE AWHILE.................TOO LONG REALLY...................SKETCHES OF HIM WERE MARGINAL EXCEPT FOR MAYBE ONE........also just how good was this fugitive......?............. .............

Edited by Newfrance

• 3 months later...

Prosecutors have said they will seek the death penalty in this case. I thought California had a no death penalty legal system, but I could be wrong.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/prosecutors-seek-death-penalty-golden-state-killer-case/story?id=62312527&cid=social_fb_abcn&fbclid=IwAR0HcgmeUm6T5hTdLpj97A3SVh32QGyqlO8oAzIpetY4tSPU1pStivYAbNQ

Edit: It does have a moratorium on the death penalty but it's only good for as long as the current Governor is in office. DeAngelo has not entered a plea yet and his trial could be years from now.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/california-prosecutors-seek-death-penalty-golden-state-killer-case-n993266

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, susieice said:

Prosecutors have said they will seek the death penalty in this case. I thought California had a no death penalty legal system, but I could be wrong.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/prosecutors-seek-death-penalty-golden-state-killer-case/story?id=62312527&cid=social_fb_abcn&fbclid=IwAR0HcgmeUm6T5hTdLpj97A3SVh32QGyqlO8oAzIpetY4tSPU1pStivYAbNQ

Edit: It does have a moratorium on the death penalty but it's only good for as long as the current Governor is in office. DeAngelo has not entered a plea yet and his trial could be years from now.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/california-prosecutors-seek-death-penalty-golden-state-killer-case-n993266

Unfortunately, I don't think this is ever going to actually make it to trial. He will probably die of old age before it makes it that far. That's a shame too. There's a lot of insight this man could provide on how the serial killer mind works. Especially one that might have lied dormant for so long.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2019 at 7:25 AM, Robotic Jew said:

Unfortunately, I don't think this is ever going to actually make it to trial. He will probably die of old age before it makes it that far. That's a shame too. There's a lot of insight this man could provide on how the serial killer mind works. Especially one that might have lied dormant for so long.

Hopefully he's being seen by psychologists now while he's in prison. He likely has gone through psychiatric testing.

• Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

I had to look back for this thread because this arrest happened in 2018. Today Joseph DeAngelo, the Golden State Killer, was sentenced to life in prison without parole. It seems way to late for actual justice to be done as he lived free for 40 years after his murder spree ended. Thankfully, someone ran the DNA from decades ago through a heredity site and DeAngelo was made to face a court of justice and his crimes. He's in a wheelchair now and not in good health.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/golden-state-killer-joseph-deangelo-sentenced-life-without-possibility-parole-n1237670?cid=eml_nbn_20200821&fbclid=IwAR2YxoeAiNaPmUQzfCzV1WanIB6IBSOfLcKrkV9zZUaALq4G3C3CUc8ym58

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Did anyone see the part where he faced Bonnie or the moment he stood up, took off the mask and said he's sorry? The trial has been a rollercoaster. Glad he has been sentenced.

• Like 2

Here's one moment when one of his victims confronted him in court. 

https://wkxa.com/golden-state-killer-survivor-confronts-rapist-remember-what-i-have-to-say/

There are also jail tapes showing that DeAngelo faked his frailty during the trial. I saw the one tonight on TV of him standing on his desk in his cell and doing exercises. He's not wheelchair bound. These tapes were not released until after sentencing.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-prosecutors-say-golden-state-killer-joseph-deangelo-faking-frailty-20200818-gz766lqbanb5xmkpxx37vun4ni-story.html

A victim's testimony.

• Like 3

On 4/26/2018 at 2:49 PM, little_dreamer said:

It seems like these old cases get solved when there is an extended period of publicity regarding them.  What I mean is that I only recently had heard about the Golden State Killer, and now they have him in custody.  Same thing with the Unabomber case.  

The next one they need to capture is Zodiac...

You assume the zodiac killer actually existed. There's quiet some speculation he is just a conglomerate of similar crimes and someone sending weird letters for fame. :/ but that's for another thread. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2018 at 4:49 PM, little_dreamer said:

It seems like these old cases get solved when there is an extended period of publicity regarding them.  What I mean is that I only recently had heard about the Golden State Killer, and now they have him in custody.  Same thing with the Unabomber case.  

The next one they need to capture is Zodiac...

Goodluck with that

• Like 1

On 4/25/2018 at 5:40 PM, susieice said:

An ex-cop has been arrested under suspicion that he is the East Area Rapists, also known as the Golden State Killer. Currently 72 yrs old, he is suspected of committing 12 homicides, 45 rapes and numerous burglaries. This solves a case that spanned 10 years in the San Francisco area. The crimes spread from 1976-1986.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Report-East-Area-Rapist-who-murdered-12-12863488.php

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Golden-State-Killer-480819381.html

What always surprises me is a police station is one place you would expect to find people with expertise in criminal psychology. So why are cops that are messed up in the head on their police forces? A cop doesnt go out committing serial rapes, murders, and burglaries, unless they are a disaster. And with people that are a disaster its obvious that they are too. Most people can spot a nutter within 2 mins of talking to them regardless of knowing about criminal psychology or not.

As a business graduate then let me just say nutters can only keep their jobs in three types of organisation (be it the police force, or otherwise). The first is when the organisation is compromised by having other nutters in senior roles (believe me, they all cover for each other). The second is when people in senior roles are too weak to challenge, confront, or address, the toxic behaviour of nutters. The third is when people who are socially inept are in senior roles such that they cannot spot a nutter to save their lives.

The management team of the police station also need investigating.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

What always surprises me is a police station is one place you would expect to find people with expertise in criminal psychology. So why are cops that are messed up in the head on their police forces? A cop doesnt go out committing serial rapes, murders, and burglaries, unless they are a disaster. And with people that are a disaster its obvious that they are too. Most people can spot a nutter within 2 mins of talking to them regardless of knowing about criminal psychology or not.

As a business graduate then let me just say nutters can only keep their jobs in three types of organisation (be it the police force, or otherwise). The first is when the organisation is compromised by having other nutters in senior roles (believe me, they all cover for each other). The second is when people in senior roles are too weak to challenge, confront, or address, the toxic behaviour of nutters. The third is when people who are socially inept are in senior roles such that they cannot spot a nutter to save their lives.

The management team of the police station also need investigating.

I totally agree. This guy had to say things that made people shake their heads but they never said anything. This takes me Epstein as another example. All of his homes had giveaway clues in them and no one questioned his tastes in interior design. He had pictures of what amounts to child p*** in frames hanging all over the place. His NYC mansion had a life size doll hanging from a chandelier by a noose in the entry way and that picture of Clinton in the blue dress among others. Prominent newscasters and world leaders...leading scientists and business executives...went in there and never questioned the man's mental stability. 

• Like 3