Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Real Dragon At The Beach

TaylorRawrsAtYou

I'll never truly know what it was, but my heart tells me it was a dragon. 

When I was only a few years old, never having any sort of knowledge regarding dragons, I witnessed one come up from the depths of the ocean at Myrtle Beach.  It was bigger than anything I'd ever seen in my life.  I'll never forget it, or how hard I tried to get my mom's attention to show her.  She was mid sentence, talking to family / friends.  So I kept pulling her and pointing to show her, but it's massive body was already retreating back into the water.  It was almost like a dolphin, surfacing and diving back down in one motion?  Maybe long enough to catch a breath or something, I'm not sure.  But this massive beautiful thing..... I think about it almost every day.  I'll never forget it.  It was one of those classic oriental type of dragons, too.  Red / Gold-ish shimmering scales, waaaay out on the horizon but still so massive.  It had yellow and blue feathery looking things on it, which could have been whiskers or fins, I'm not sure, but I remember the massive red body and the gold / blue accents, for sure.  It wasn't scary, I got no negative feeling from it.  It was so far away, I didn't feel in danger.  It didn't look at me, didn't act like it was aware anyone even noticed it.  Just jumped slightly above the surface and arched back down into the water.  It felt like forever before I saw the whole body return to the water.. it had to be hundreds of feet long.  I wish I could see it again some day.. whether it's just my childhood brain playing tricks on me or a real dragon, it's stuck with me forever.  I still to this day have a huge attraction to dragons and am always hoping there comes a day when someone else out there says they saw it, too.  Maybe they're all curled up at the bottom of the ocean where mankind can't reach them, safe from our disgusting destructive nature.  

Editing to add, this was back around 1998 or 1999.  I was born in 1996, and was only about two or three years old when we went to the beach.  

Edited by TaylorRawrsAtYou
  • Like 5

I have a theory that. the Loch Ness monster is an ocean creature that on occasion enters the Loch.

But anyway, I don’t know what you saw of course, or if it was physical or imagined. I am one to believe there are even possibilities between those two like etheric creatures, astral creatures and even temporary physical materializations of those.

I’m open-minded to the possibility that you saw a dragon but most people here think I’m crazy.:rofl:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I have a theory that. the Loch Ness monster is an ocean creature that on occasion enters the Loch.

Take a look at the satellite images of the entry points into the Loch. It isn't going to happen. But fair play, it's a reasonable potential explanation if you hold value to the eye witness sightings. 

• Like 1

Just curious to wonder if you have any Oriental family background in your ancestry. Thanks for sharing your story. I love the classic Chinese dragon forms :)

• Like 2

How many people can say they remember anything that happened to them at 3 years old?

I would say this did not happen. Your mind thinks it did.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

Take a look at the satellite images of the entry points into the Loch. It isn't going to happen. But fair play, it's a reasonable potential explanation if you hold value to the eye witness sightings. 

Well, I was kind of aware of the geographical situation but I thought some think during high-water river season it was perhaps possible. Also some people talk of possible underground water connections. I definitely admit to very limited understanding on the geography of the area.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sakari said:

How many people can say they remember anything that happened to them at 3 years old?

I would say this did not happen. Your mind thinks it did.

I swear on my children's lives,  I can remember things that happened at two years old, let alone three years old.  Of course you can't validate that because you're a stranger, but my family can, as they share the same memories. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TaylorRawrsAtYou said:

I swear on my children's lives,  I can remember things that happened at two years old, let alone three years old.  Of course you can't validate that because you're a stranger, but my family can, as they share the same memories. 

It's completely conceivable that you have memories from that age, I do as well. But, as time move on the memories can become larger, more intense and tainted by later experience.

I gather that this was experienced on the ocean and not on a lake? Edit: never mind, now that I reread, you said it was the ocean in your opening post.,

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, oldrover said:

I thought I read somewhere a while back that Lock Ness had caves and stuff underneath it's surface. If true that could mean that one of them leads to the ocean

1 hour ago, Likely Guy said:

It's completely conceivable that you have memories from that age, I do as well. But, as time move on the memories can become larger, more intense and tainted by later experience.

I gather that this was experienced on the ocean and not on a lake? Edit: never mind, now that I reread, you said it was the ocean in your opening post.,

Yes, this was at Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.  I remember telling my mom and her just shutting it down because was mad I was interrupting her conversation, lol.

9 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Well, I was kind of aware of the geographical situation but I thought some think during high-water river season it was perhaps possible. Also some people talk of possible underground water connections. I definitely admit to very limited understanding on the geography of the area.

I know the geography very well - the River Ness is fairly shallow, as are all highland rivers, and flows through the centre of Inverness.  The only sea creatures that travel up the Ness are salmon and eels.  The geology makes underground connections impossible.

However, I suspect you are almost but not quite right.   The Loch Ness monster, IMHO, is a sea creature which never returned to the sea.   A eunuch eel.  Or, at least, such creatures gave rise to the legends of loch monsters and are responsible for any sonar reports of large creature in Scottish lochs (such as one a friend made in Loch Shiel many years ago).

Anyway, not a sea dragon!

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, IBelieveWhatIWant said:

I thought I read somewhere a while back that Lock Ness had caves and stuff underneath it's surface. If true that could mean that one of them leads to the ocean

There gave been claims of caves etc, but there are aren't any. The surface of the loch is 16m above sea level, if it connected to the sea it wouldn't be.