Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hate Church Preacher Accused of Embezzling

Piney

Nothing new here.  Anybody remember Jim and Tammy Fay Baker?

Each of these church organizations has to have a governing board.  When it comes to audits and such things designed to keep honest people honest, they all assume "Oh.  He's a man of God.  He wouldn't steal from US."  But the real sin is putting great temptation in front of weak people.  Then they wonder why he stole from them.

Doug

• Like 3

Hmm... how where they able to steal all those ticket blanks ? 

That  is nothing. He could take a leaf from  Australian bankers and financial advisers. 

they have scammed, or ripped off, often quite illegally, multiple BILLIONS of dollars from their customers 

They even sold products, and maintained charges,  to dead people :) 

Edited by Mr Walker

9 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

How many poor people do you need to fleece to amass a million dollars?

Hi Tatetopa

They take advantage of a target market and stats/demographics exist for everything, one can even estimate from how many sharks and guppies in which pond will offer the less competitive resource with the highest return.

jmccr8

5 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

They take advantage of a target market and stats/demographics exist for everything, one can even estimate from how many sharks and guppies in which pond will offer the less competitive resource with the highest return.

Is this the dark side of big data that even nefarious actions can be modeled, actions targeted,  and success probabilities can be calculated?

2 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Is this the dark side of big data that even nefarious actions can be modeled, actions targeted,  and success probabilities can be calculated?

Anyone with a business plan and a desire to succeed. Census material identify a lot of things about people and areas, income, number of people in residence, type of employment, renter/ owner and cross referencing with other data sets one can get a pretty good idea where their target market is. I don't even want to venture into a discussion about crime and business :w00t:

jmccr8

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

Anyone with a business plan and a desire to succeed. Census material identify a lot of things about people and areas, income, number of people in residence, type of employment, renter/ owner and cross referencing with other data sets one can get a pretty good idea where their target market is. I don't even want to venture into a discussion about crime and business :w00t:

Thanks.  In a way it is totally awesome for all data to be so connected.  I am old enough to remember when you had to "google"  something at the library with a card catalog.    There was once a limited availability and very expensive reverse phone book which was no more than the data sorted by address and phone number as well as name  .It is an empowering thing to have so much access to data.  On  the whole, I am glad of it.   As for morality and ethics, they haven't changed much in the last 1000 years, so  I would not expect much different.

• Like 1

I’m wondering, if I read the article in the link correctly. Entertainment industry??!! Had action figures made of them? (Yes, I understand that was a lawsuit they filed) But, in my perspective, I’m reading about a religious figure, and there’s talking of entertainment industry and action figures. 

Well, of course, that is part of the point of what is going on, and why it is :o   

But, it really amazes me how things get down a certain path totally ‘different’ to an original ideal. (From my perspective). Kind of reminds me of that religious action park in “Fletch 2”

On 4/26/2018 at 3:27 PM, Doug1o29 said:

Nothing new here.  Anybody remember Jim and Tammy Fay Baker?

Man, you know how to make a poster feel old. :o   Anybody remember the Bakers?!?!? :w00t:  I guess it’s dating me, thinking that they are still the go to thoughts, when this type of thing happens. Yeah, I think Tammy passed away some years back, but still, I thought they are still being talked about. 

*shrugs* 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Man, you know how to make a poster feel old. :o   Anybody remember the Bakers?!?!? :w00t:  I guess it’s dating me, thinking that they are still the go to thoughts, when this type of thing happens. Yeah, I think Tammy passed away some years back, but still, I thought they are still being talked about. 

*shrugs* 

I guess I am more aware of them than most, seeing as they ripped off a lighting contractor that I know.  I see him once or twice a month and nearly every time he brings them up.

A banker once told me that one should never lend money to preachers, churches or sawmillers.

Doug

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Off topic.  I was in a music store a while back.  They still sell CD's, tapes, and vinyl albums some classics, some new.  I overheard two young women conversing, "Did you know Paul McCartney was in  a group before Wings?"  Time marches on.

Last I heard of Jim Bakker he was selling disaster ready,  freeze-dried food after getting out of the slammer.  Still trying to cash in on the Apocalypse.  Things change and yet stay the same.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Doug1o29 said:
8 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

*shrugs* 

I guess I am more aware of them than most, seeing as they ripped off a lighting contractor that I know.  I see him once or twice a month and nearly every time he brings them up.

Oh Jeez!! :o   wow! It must have been really bad, if he keeps bringing it up. 

4 hours ago, Tatetopa said:
8 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Off topic.  I was in a music store a while back.  They still sell CD's, tapes, and vinyl albums some classics, some new.  I overheard two young women conversing, "Did you know Paul McCartney was in  a group before Wings?"  Time marches on.

I will never forget at one bookstore I worked at, while sharing cashiering time with a younger coworker, (this was around the time Richard Pryor had died.  and I turned to my coworker, (during a slow time) and said, "Did you hear about Richard Pryer?" And she turned to me and said, "Who?" 

:blink:  :blink:  ......................... (Man! Did that make me feel old)

4 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Last I heard of Jim Bakker he was selling disaster ready,  freeze-dried food after getting out of the slammer.  Still trying to cash in on the Apocalypse.  Things change and yet stay the same.

Ahhh, I see. Well, definitely not getting the attention that he used to get. *shrugs* 

• Like 1