Jump to content
Unexplained Mysteries uses cookies. By using the site you consent to our use of cookies as per our Cookie Policy.
Close X
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
lizzymidford

Strange Smells

21 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

lizzymidford

Does anyone ever smell a weird burning smell in their homes? I occasionally smell it in my room, but only then. The weirdest part is that I switched bedrooms with my siblings, but I could still smell it in specific parts of my room. I often smelled it in my bed in the last room, but in this room I've smelled it at the end of my bed and right in front of my doorway, inside my room. It used to smell like burning flies, as if I took a bug zapper and shocked some of them, but recently the nastiness of the smell has gone down enough for me to actually really like the smell. It doesn't make me asthmatic either as real smoke would. Has anyone experienced this before or have any comments? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Not A Rockstar

In Vodou, the smell of cigar or cigarette smoke can signal a spirit's presence in the area, and I have heard of things like a favored perfume doing this for an alleged presence of a loved one.

Not sure what your smell would be signaling, kind of useless if it has no meaning for anyone there. 

This, of course, assumes you already know there is not any hot wires in your walls or fire hazards. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lizzymidford
2 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

In Vodou, the smell of cigar or cigarette smoke can signal a spirit's presence in the area, and I have heard of things like a favored perfume doing this for an alleged presence of a loved one.

Not sure what your smell would be signaling, kind of useless if it has no meaning for anyone there. 

This, of course, assumes you already know there is not any hot wires in your walls or fire hazards. 

Oh that's very interesting, thank you!! I actually do witchcraft myself so that may have something to do with it. The smell sometimes comes from where I do some of my craft too... I've smelled strange scents that were really nice smelling before too, but only once or twice! I do know of two ghosts. One is very nice, but I don't know why he'd smell so strange, I don't feel it fits him. The other one seems negative and kinda pessimistic. I use a pendulum to talk to them! It could be the negative ghost, but I've smelled him before. He could be attached to me as I've been told by a lot of psychics I attract them, but I'm not so sure. I just feel like it's something important.

I don't think there are, I'm pretty sure I've smelled this at other houses too! Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
5 hours ago, lizzymidford said:

Oh that's very interesting, thank you!! I actually do witchcraft myself so that may have something to do with it. The smell sometimes comes from where I do some of my craft too... I've smelled strange scents that were really nice smelling before too, but only once or twice! I do know of two ghosts. One is very nice, but I don't know why he'd smell so strange, I don't feel it fits him. The other one seems negative and kinda pessimistic. I use a pendulum to talk to them! It could be the negative ghost, but I've smelled him before. He could be attached to me as I've been told by a lot of psychics I attract them, but I'm not so sure. I just feel like it's something important.

I don't think there are, I'm pretty sure I've smelled this at other houses too! Thank you!

So you are dabbling but resort to psychics for advice....hmmmm...If you don't really know what your talking to you could be in for a real bad time. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
novabnt
Posted (edited)

My mother has this. It's usually cigarette smoke, and usually pops up when the air is dry. Google "phantosmia"

Edited by PM3K
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
little_dreamer

It could be related to a cold or sinus infection.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Piney said:

So you are dabbling but resort to psychics for advice....hmmmm...If you don't really know what your talking to you could be in for a real bad time. 

She seems to still be in the "any spirit is better than no spirit at all" mode. 

Besides, if she does smell it everywhere, it probably IS just sinus, or a cavity, which is another mundane cause for it.

Edited by Not A Rockstar
added info
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rashore

I'm going to suggest a few mundane non-spooky things here beyond what's already been offered... It's important to pinpoint timing-wise what is going on... sometimes there are cycles of house heating/cooling or sun warming through windows or not that can have an effect on house smells. I'm a bit into house and furniture renovation, and often come across threads where people ask why a smell shows up sometimes or not in a room, or getting furniture that is musty/smokey/ect off and on and never quite goes away without knowing why. This happens particularly with wood- some folks swear wood is the hardest substance to get stink out of. It's not always smoke, sometimes it's a perfume over a dresser that long ago someone tucked sachets into or sprayed perfume over and other nice things.

And also, if you are smelling that burnt/ozone/other smell more noticeably or increasingly in an area- get it physically checked out, stuff like wiring that could have a problem.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChaosRose

I gotta say that if something smelled burnt around the house, I'd be calling an electrician ASAP. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChaosRose

I'd save all the woo remedies for after I knew there wasn't any faulty wiring. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Risky

...dont put too many onions on your pizza. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lizzymidford
On 4/27/2018 at 3:49 AM, Piney said:

So you are dabbling but resort to psychics for advice....hmmmm...If you don't really know what your talking to you could be in for a real bad time. 

Yeah, I know, but I trust that I'll be okay! I know of ways to protect myself and keep my distance as well.

 

On 4/27/2018 at 5:09 AM, novabnt said:

My mother has this. It's usually cigarette smoke, and usually pops up when the air is dry. Google "phantosmia"

That could be right too, I'll look that up!

On 4/27/2018 at 8:05 AM, little_dreamer said:

It could be related to a cold or sinus infection.

I don't think so, I've never had either of those when I could smell it or had them recently or a little later in the future. I honestly haven't had either in a very very long time.

On 4/27/2018 at 8:41 AM, Not A Rockstar said:

She seems to still be in the "any spirit is better than no spirit at all" mode. 

Besides, if she does smell it everywhere, it probably IS just sinus, or a cavity, which is another mundane cause for it.

Yes, I am in that mode! I love spirits and I know it's reckless of me, but I'd rather meet a mean spirit than no spirits! I don't smell it everywhere, it happens on occasion and in certain spots of my room, but those spots tend to move around the room.

22 hours ago, rashore said:

I'm going to suggest a few mundane non-spooky things here beyond what's already been offered... It's important to pinpoint timing-wise what is going on... sometimes there are cycles of house heating/cooling or sun warming through windows or not that can have an effect on house smells. I'm a bit into house and furniture renovation, and often come across threads where people ask why a smell shows up sometimes or not in a room, or getting furniture that is musty/smokey/ect off and on and never quite goes away without knowing why. This happens particularly with wood- some folks swear wood is the hardest substance to get stink out of. It's not always smoke, sometimes it's a perfume over a dresser that long ago someone tucked sachets into or sprayed perfume over and other nice things.

And also, if you are smelling that burnt/ozone/other smell more noticeably or increasingly in an area- get it physically checked out, stuff like wiring that could have a problem.

Thank you for the worry and advice! In one place where I smelled it is directly under a window so it could have been from heat! It doesn't happen often, but if it starts to happen more, I'll tell my parents about it!

16 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

I'd save all the woo remedies for after I knew there wasn't any faulty wiring. 

It doesn't happen often so I think it's probably not that, but I will be wary, thank you!

13 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

...dont put too many onions on your pizza. 

I won't!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney

@lizzymidford  Remember it's not the tools you are using but your focus in using them when defending yourself. Never give them one hint of fear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ParanormalKris

I know what you are talking About lizzymidford. I am really Psychic so I Smell it in the Air in my Room too, sometimes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lizzymidford
On 4/28/2018 at 1:48 PM, Piney said:

@lizzymidford  Remember it's not the tools you are using but your focus in using them when defending yourself. Never give them one hint of fear.

Thank you for the warning, I will!!

23 hours ago, ParanormalKris said:

I know what you are talking About lizzymidford. I am really Psychic so I Smell it in the Air in my Room too, sometimes. 

Thank you!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lizzymidford

Update: I smelled rotten strawberries this morning and don't know why. This is the first time I've ever smelled that for no reason!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
~Onyx~
Posted (edited)

Forgive me, but that sounds awfully specific. Not just strawberries, but rotten strawberries. What do YOU think it is?

Edited by ~Onyx~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lizzymidford
On 4/29/2018 at 5:40 PM, ~Onyx~ said:

Forgive me, but that sounds awfully specific. Not just strawberries, but rotten strawberries. What do YOU think it is?

I'm honestly not sure. I thought the burning smell was just a regular spirit, but I have no idea what the strawberry smell could be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JamieSymptom

How on earth can you specifically pinpoint an unexplained smell as being that of rotting strawberries?

Are you sure it's not rotting raspberries? Or a strawberry that has been dipped in durian pulp?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MissJatti

Don't witchcraft mess around with fire and candles, well you did say you do witchcrafting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lizzymidford
10 hours ago, JamieSymptom said:

How on earth can you specifically pinpoint an unexplained smell as being that of rotting strawberries?

Are you sure it's not rotting raspberries? Or a strawberry that has been dipped in durian pulp?

The original unexplained smell was a burning smell, but after making this thread I smelled the strawberries. Why wouldn't I be able to pinpoint a smell? I'm pretty sure most people can do that. I do know what rotting strawberries smell like as I've smelled it before when I had to throw out moldy strawberries, but when I smelled this we hadn't had strawberries in the house for a while and certainly not in my room.

10 hours ago, MissJatti said:

Don't witchcraft mess around with fire and candles, well you did say you do witchcrafting

Yes, I do! But I know it wasn't from me because I hadn't done anything that day and I don't burn things in my room. It definitely wasn't the smell of a candle either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.