Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lesser Known Paranormal Movies

EllJay

3 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

I watched this again just last week, funnily enough :lol:

And yeah, anything with people getting trapped in tight underground tunnels, or even worse... buried alive... has me squirming :no:

Yeah, like Ryan Reynolds Buried (2010)

..or; Detour (2013)

• Like 1

Just now, travelnjones said:

a picnic at hanging rock is comping to streaming i heard

I remember watching this one as a kid and was horrified about the girls trapped in a another dimension/time, or what it was. I haven't seen it since, but I know the idiotic director of the movie has re-edited it, and removed a large portion of the supernatural occurrences, making it more bland. I think it's hard to get a hold of the original version these days, unless someone have it on VHS.

Picnic at Hanging Rock

Haven't seen this one for a while, but I seem to remember it being worth a watch...

• Like 1

Lake Mungo (2008)

I liked this one. It has an unsettling atmosphere and a few twists.

Lake Mungo is a Australian psychological horror film directed by Joel Anderson. It employs a mockumentary format using actors in place of interviewees to tell the story of a family trying to come terms with the drowning death of their daughter and the potentially supernatural events they experience after her death:

"Sixteen-year-old Alice Palmer drowns while swimming with her family at a dam in Ararat, Australia.Following the tragedy, her teenaged brother Matthew sets up video cameras around the house to record what seem to be images of Alice's ghost appearing in the family home. "

28 minutes ago, EllJay said:

I remember watching this one as a kid and was horrified about the girls trapped in a another dimension/time, or what it was. I haven't seen it since, but I know the idiotic director of the movie has re-edited it, and removed a large portion of the supernatural occurrences, making it more bland. I think it's hard to get a hold of the original version these days, unless someone have it on VHS.

Picnic at Hanging Rock

Not sure what is coming to streaming but they are doing a series or mini series about the story with Natalie Dormer I just saw.  I only caught a bit so would like to see the rest of it.

• Like 1

The Innkeepers

During the final days at the Yankee Pedlar Inn, two employees determined to reveal the hotel's haunted past, by practicing a little amateur ghost hunting before the hotel closes up shop for good, begin to experience disturbing events as old guests check in for a stay.

• Like 1

The Quiet Ones (2014)

I really liked this one.

A university professor and a team of students conduct an experiment on Jane, a young woman with no memory of the past and repeatedly abandoned by foster families, believes herself possessed by a doll named Evey that gives her telekinetic power, uncovering terrifyingly dark, unexpected forces in the process.

• Like 1

The Awakening (2011)

Really liked this one too

In 1921, in London, the arrogant and skeptical Florence Cathcart is famous for exposing hoaxes and helping the police to arrest con artists. The stranger Robert Mallory tells her that the headmaster of a boarding school in Rookford had invited her to travel to Cumbria to investigate a ghost that is frightening the pupils to death.

• Like 2

On 4/28/2018 at 10:49 PM, EllJay said:

A Dark Song (2016)

That was excellent.

On 4/28/2018 at 11:07 PM, EllJay said:

The Abandoned (2006)

This is also a favorite of mine.

Way sufficient creepiness.

On 4/30/2018 at 11:55 AM, LV-426 said:

Not too shabby. It has its moments...

You guys are hitting all my suggestions.

• Like 1

• Like 3

I saw one recently about Amish Witches that I liked. 

I saw The Void, but it's not for the faint of heart. 

I'm going to throw The Grudge in here as I always thought it took way too much flak from diehard fans of the Japanese original, Ju-on: The Grudge...

I've seen both, and in this case I preferred the remake. Whereas with The Ring, I preferred the original Japanese Ring.

Personal taste I guess *shrugs*

• Like 1

Speaking of remakes ...

~

[00.01:49]

~

[00.02:08]

~

I'm not much into the genre but once in a while I do sneak a peek a boo at it ...

I liked the Original version but I guess the leading lady catches the eye with this one ...

~

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

I really enjoyed this one despite the fact many people didn’t like the pacing. The build up takes time but Imho it’s worth it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LV-426 said:

I'm going to throw The Grudge in here as I always thought it took way too much flak from diehard fans of the Japanese original, Ju-on: The Grudge...

I've seen both, and in this case I preferred the remake. Whereas with The Ring, I preferred the original Japanese Ring.

Personal taste I guess *shrugs*

I didn’t like the remake because I really dislike..... 

Spoiler

Sara Michelle “blargh”. Sorry cant even say her name.

That’s just personal opinion.

5 hours ago, newbloodmoon said:

I didn’t like the remake because I really dislike..... 

Hide contents

Sara Michelle “blargh”. Sorry cant even say her name.

That’s just personal opinion.

I denounce you sir!

As a lifelong fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I am shocked! :o

;)

I jest... we all have our favourites :)

• Haha 2

I gotta agree with @newbloodmoon

I was banished from Buffy viewings because I was laughing all the way through the episodes, and I always spoils it all by revealing the plot spot on every time, very predictable ... pretty much the reason I was banished from the X Files viewing parties ...   

:lol:

~

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If you're in the mood for weird "paranormal" 

Teeth

Red Sands 2009. Fear and depiction of 'evil' was enjoyable for me, somehow similar to that in Event Horizon if you familiar with that movie.

During a mission in the Middle East, a group of US soldiers destroy a statue out of boredom only to then be visited by something the next day.

Trailer is really bad here too. With trailers like these it's no wonder that movies are on the lesser known list. 

Edited by Sir Smoke aLot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

If you're in the mood for weird "paranormal" 

Teeth

Well... that's my celibacy confirmed for the rest of my days on earth :cry:

:lol:

• Haha 1