Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lesser Known Paranormal Movies

EllJay

4 hours ago, third_eye said:

I gotta agree with @newbloodmoon

I was banished from Buffy viewings because I was laughing all the way through the episodes, and I always spoils it all by revealing the plot spot on every time, very predictable ... pretty much the reason I was banished from the X Files viewing parties ...   

:lol:

~

*crosses newbloodmoon and third_eye's names off the 2018 Buffypalooza guest list whilst shaking head disapprovingly*

d75626f4f279a5dce7fec675d6966de8.gif

:lol:

• Haha 1

This doesn't really fit paranormal. It's more a darkly comic, visceral, coming of age, disturbing descent into madness... if you can envisage that! :lol:

Based on some of the trailers here though, I'd say some horror fans will enjoy it...

AnnaLynne McCord is brilliant in it.

It's probably one of the most unbelievable transformations since Charlize Theron in Monster :lol:

MV5BMTU5MTUzMTA5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODgy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LV-426 said:

Based on some of the trailers here though, I'd say some horror fans will enjoy it...

"sociopathic' :tu:

I didn't recognise Traci Lords ... :lol:

~

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

If you're in the mood for weird "paranormal" 

Teeth

Oh I think I know what that is.

• Haha 1

I saw Mercy the other night.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Three Norwegian horror creature/myth movies that are pretty good.

Trollhunter is made in a sort of documentary-style. Even though it is partly humorous, it is also suspenseful, and have some pretty good creature-effects.

Troll Hunter (2012)

The scene in the movie (at 0:12 in the trailer clip here) he runs up at the camera and screams; TROOOLL!!!!!...RUUUN FOOOR FUX SAKE!!! :lol: Priceless...

This is also an interesting, creature/Norse-myth, flick that I liked.

Ragnarok (2014)

This one is a fairly good, creature/Norse-myth flick, and have some interesting suspenseful parts in it.

Thale (2012)

Edited by EllJay
  • Like 4

I saw that Troll movie. 

Win!

Top Ten Lesser Known Paranormal Films

10) Q the Winged Serpent

9) Personal Shopper

8) Whistle and I'll Come to You

7) Communion

6) The Falling

5) Yellow Brick Road

4) The Visitor (1979)

3) Hour of the Wolf (1968)

2) In the Mouth of Madness.

1) Possession (1981).

Boom. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Carlos Allende said:

Top Ten Lesser Known Paranormal Films

10) Q the Winged Serpent

9) Personal Shopper

8) Whistle and I'll Come to You

7) Communion

6) The Falling

5) Yellow Brick Road

4) The Visitor (1979)

3) Hour of the Wolf (1968)

2) In the Mouth of Madness.

1) Possession (1981).

Boom. 

Ha!

I remember Q. 

In the Mouth of Madness, ftw. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I need some help on this one. It was a movie I only caught once (and only like the last 40 minutes) on HBO in 2016. It was a part found footage film but not as horrible as most of the others. The premise was a scientific team evaluating a female subject who was thought to be possessed. Can't recall any actors who were in it. Anyone know what it was called? I would like to get another full viewing of it. Thanks!

8 hours ago, Trelane said:

I need some help on this one. It was a movie I only caught once (and only like the last 40 minutes) on HBO in 2016. It was a part found footage film but not as horrible as most of the others. The premise was a scientific team evaluating a female subject who was thought to be possessed. Can't recall any actors who were in it. Anyone know what it was called? I would like to get another full viewing of it. Thanks!

Could be this one

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3280916/

The Atticus Institute

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Am bumping this one as I think it’s a good thread and maybe there are some new recommendations.

Hereditary... gulp! 

On 3/8/2019 at 1:41 PM, Amanda Evans said:

Am bumping this one as I think it’s a good thread and maybe there are some new recommendations.

Hereditary... gulp! 

I have to say that was one of the most horrifying movies I've ever seen, and I'm pretty jaded.

• 2 weeks later...

This one is one of a very small handful that scared me. I remember the day after I watched it, I had to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, and stood there thinking I should look over my shoulder. 

Then I laughed. 

Highly recommend this classic Dario Argento Phenomena 1985 starring Jennifer Conelly and Donald Pleasence 

Edited by Impedancer

I Also recommend Dead & Buried " corpses reanimate after death " from 1981 Starring Robert Englund 

Edited by Impedancer

Are there any good films that aren't filled with over the top gore and violence though? It's just not my thing and I find it a cop-out, sort of like jump scares, simply too easy.

• 2 weeks later...

I think all those listed so far are too dark for me.  I like movies like Vibes with Cyndi Lauper and Jeff Goldblum. 

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Haha 1

• 7 months later...

The Little Stranger (2018) is a (kind of) ghost story set in a crumbling manor house in post war Britain. Definitely not a horror movie, more a (slightly ambiguous) paranormal drama.

The_Little_Stranger_(film).png

• 1 month later...

"The Stone Tape" (1972) is quite good, the title suggests that the stonework of buildings can "record" traumatic events and then "play them back" as ghosts etc.

Basically a high-tech group of electronics experts rent an old country house to work in, and accidentally discover the place has a ghost, so they switch all their efforts into trying to trigger or capture it.

It was on youtube the last time I looked, link below-

SPOILER ALERT- the ghost puts in an appearance at 13:40, it's a young Victorian chambermaid screaming at the top of a flight of stairs.Old newspaper reports confirm that a maid did indeed fall to her death down the stairs in the past.Later, the groups computer starts printing out gibberish containing the words "pray...soul...prayer...save" (1:08:15) as if its trying to warn them of some unspeakable horror in the house.The twist in the tale is that the group completely forgot to wonder what exactly made the maid scream and fall down the stairs in the first place...

Edited by Crikey

On 4/8/2019 at 11:49 AM, Desertrat56 said:

I think all those listed so far are too dark for me.  I like movies like Vibes with Cyndi Lauper and Jeff Goldblum. 

I finally remembered the name of the movie  "Vibes".   Lots of fun.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096378/mediaviewer/rm1053951744