Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

200 attend UK's first Flat Earth Convention

UM-Bot

36 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Are these people on the level?

I think they're all round the bend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I still don't buy it.   

I think they miss their high school debate team and are picking the toughest argument to win.   

You would have to be on a very high level of stupid to believe the Earth is flat.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Question, why is this worthy of being in a newspaper?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

Question, why is this worthy of being in a newspaper?  

Why not, if the Kartrashians can make the news why not this also? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

This signifies the failure of our educational system. It' reached a point where we are manipulated and told so many lies that people do not trust the governent or the textbooks and that is a good idea... if you at least have some common sense! 

I used to spend a lot of time trying to explain to my neighbor why it just doesn' make any sense and how orbits and days and seasons work but some people are just high and don't ever get it because they were failed from the beginning of thier education by  our dilapidated schools.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, NicoletteS said:

This signifies the failure of our educational system. It' reached a point where we are manipulated and told so many lies that people do not trust the governent or the textbooks and that is a good idea... if you at least have some common sense! 

I used to spend a lot of time trying to explain to my neighbor why it just doesn' make any sense and how orbits and days and seasons work but some people are just high and don't ever get it because they were failed from the beginning of thier education by  our dilapidated schools.

Are you sure your neighbor was serious?   I've never met someone who thought the Earth was flat. 

• Like 2

I dunno... I think it would be fun to attend one of these and just walk around trying to guage whether the people actually believe it, or are just having a lark...

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Why not, if the Kartrashians can make the news why not this also? 

That is some else I question as newsworthy. 

• Like 2

perhaps - its just a cover for a great time to had by all attendees - drinking  partying fraternizing - that sort of thing. 

• Like 6

Just now, RAyMO said:

perhaps - its just a cover for a great time to had by all attendees - drinking  partying fraternizing - that sort of thing. 

The meetings were held in a hotel on Broad Street, which is Birmingham's swankiest entertainment district.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

So warping from one side of the flat earth to the other makes more sense than the earth actually being round? Wow. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Myles said:

Are you sure your neighbor was serious?   I've never met someone who thought the Earth was flat. 

Yes. Yes I'm sure. They think the sun travels around in a circle above us I even had to explain why you can see that its not doing that these people are serious smh

• Like 3

which was attended by around 200 Flat-Earthers including an NHS manager

Oh boy, the bold is a touch worrying!

Not worrying is:

Around 200...

we got more members on UM... i wonder if any of our flat Earth believers on here attended the convention? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RAyMO said:

They can do that on a round Earth every weekend, even every day. :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Taun said:

I dunno... I think it would be fun to attend one of these and just walk around trying to guage whether the people actually believe it, or are just having a lark...

I have booked us in for the next one, here is our costumes, i have ordered us one each:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkF4Sy7hFUnE6pusLpwW7

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

I have actually known a flat earther. Strangely he was not the stupid moron that you would expect. He was actually fairly bright. He was a fundamentalist Christian and basically only believed in what was in the Bible. He believed that the world was only a little over 5000 years old. They get this number by adding up the begating and lives of the people in the Bible. He thought that all the stuff about Dinosaurs and such was a plot to lead people to believing myths that were in conflict with or at least not in the Bible. He didn't believe in any of the space program especially that we had been to the moon. 

I have found that if someone has a belief that is strong enough that they can easily blind themselves to any possible change in their beliefs. I am old enough to actually have known people that were violently against the teaching of Darwin's theory on evolution in schools. These were the type people that backed the prosecution of John Scopes in the Scopes monkey trials. Ignorance is repairable but stupidity can't be helped!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, freetoroam said:

I have booked us in for the next one, here is our costumes, i have ordered us one each:

Cool! I'll be there! The only thing is that I'll change mine into a "Grumpy world"...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Wearing this costume at a Flat Earth Convention would get you rolled into the canal!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'd love to hear a flat-earther explaining precession of the night sky, or why the night sky is different south of the equator. 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DanL said:

I have actually known a flat earther. Strangely he was not the stupid moron that you would expect. He was actually fairly bright. He was a fundamentalist Christian and basically only believed in what was in the Bible. He believed that the world was only a little over 5000 years old. They get this number by adding up the begating and lives of the people in the Bible. He thought that all the stuff about Dinosaurs and such was a plot to lead people to believing myths that were in conflict with or at least not in the Bible. He didn't believe in any of the space program especially that we had been to the moon. 

I have found that if someone has a belief that is strong enough that they can easily blind themselves to any possible change in their beliefs. I am old enough to actually have known people that were violently against the teaching of Darwin's theory on evolution in schools. These were the type people that backed the prosecution of John Scopes in the Scopes monkey trials. Ignorance is repairable but stupidity can't be helped!

Nothing you wrote suggests he is ‘fairly bright’, it suggests that he is indeed a stupid moron. 

Flat Earth: Check. Literal belief in bible: Check. Dinosaurs never existed conspiracy: Check. Moon landing conspiracy: Check.

I shudder at what else he believes. 

What makes him not a stupid moron is what interests me?

• Like 7