Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A basic approach to magick

XenoFish

In Shingon and Tendai Buddhism your magical practices are called and taught as "The Power of Intention (Will)".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The best way I can sum most of the things I've wrote is;

Thoughts lead to feelings, feelings lead to ideas, ideas lead to intentions, intentions lead to actions, actions lead to results, if you have to will do act.

• Like 4

Gary Zukav wrote something along similar lines with his Dancing Wu Li Masters ...

~

Gary Zukav, The Dancing Wu Li Masters quotes, videos, photos

realizedone.com/gary-zukav-the-dancing-wu-li-masters/

'Reality' is what we take to be true. What we take to be true is what we believe. What we believe is based upon our perceptions. What we perceive depends upon what we look for. What we look for depends upon what we think. What we think depends upon what we perceive. What we perceive determines what we believe.

~

• ... more at simplicitysg.Net LINK

“Reality is what we take to be true.
What we take to be true is what we believe.
What we believe is based upon our perceptions.
What we perceive depends upon what we look for.
What we look for depends upon what we think.
What we think depends upon what we perceive.
What we perceive determines what we believe.
What we believe determines what we take to be true.
What we take to be true is our reality.”                             ― Gary Zukav, Dancing Wu Li Masters 

~

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheTheosophist said:

SpongeBob occultism.

Do you have anything of value to add? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, XenoFish said:

On Ghost

Ghost, spooky scary things that go bump in the night. Without solid evidence these are just phantoms of the mind. It is often the case that an individual get's an idea that sticks in their mind. A place is haunted, saw a shadow in the doorway, etc. It is easy to see that these things are just figments of the imagination. A slight of mind. Are they real, subjectively yes, objectively highly doubtful. It is often the case that those who see ghost and spirits are more subceptable to supersition. In many cases mental illness. However the average individual (myself included) will see something at least one in their lives. In my case induce a ghost sighting, which is why I said it would be best to be cautious as to what you put in your head. Mental phantoms are not easily dismissed and you'll need to reprogram your mind to stop them, but it's never 100%. So are they really real? No one knows. Same goes for god/s/ess's it's all subjective. And considering we experience objective reality largely subjectively, they are as real to you as you believe them to be. 

(more to come as I see fit)

Feel free to butcher me on all this.

@Rashore: I decided to post this at your request. If you feel (or any moderator feels) that this might be better suited in the spirituality vs skepticism section feel free to move it.

Additional Reading

Interesting theory, and makes a lots of sense. Like schizophrenics who see "real" things, but its just a their brain tricking them. 

Interesting theory, and makes a lots of sense. Like schizophrenics who see "real" things, but its just a their brain tricking them. 

Quite similar. I relate it more to expectation bias. 

I want to give you a friendly time. If you're going to reply within a quote, make your responses in bold. It helps to separate what was written and what you write. :tu:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Do you have anything of value to add? 

Look what they call themselves and consider the source....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

Look what they call themselves and consider the source....

Someone possessed by the Holy Dopamine Ghost.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Goddess of the Mist said:

I also like how you equated the tools and symbols to "stage props".  That was one of the things about witchcraft I was always put off by, even though I loved the idea of witchcraft itself - the power and confidence, the natural healing - I was never a fan of having to have a bunch of stuff just to be able to accomplish a spell.  Anyway, really good write!

It was a pretty cosmic moment when I realized I didn't need all the STUFF, however it is not weak for someone to need some of that as they get going and it can actually help develop them into the final product they aim to become. Sometimes the journey matters and in many forms of magic it especially does IMO.

• Like 2

I notice that my own non-religious rituals are very comforting to me.   Things like drinking coffee in the morning, or playing a casual video game.  If I were a musician I would get comfort from playing the same tunes.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, little_dreamer said:

I notice that my own non-religious rituals are very comforting to me.   Things like drinking coffee in the morning, or playing a casual video game.  If I were a musician I would get comfort from playing the same tunes.

Yes, now I can really get a delight off the scents of an altar and the flicker of a candle when forming an action, it adds to it all. But, conceptually, it was a major step for me to realize it was not necessary, it was a part of me. Now years later I can see how that realization began to change how I see myself,  the world and everything else. 

Rituals can be deeply moving and beautiful. Taking spiritual time to smell the roses, so-to-speak :)

jmo

• Like 2

4 hours ago, little_dreamer said:

I often think that the most "magical" moments are the ordinary ones. Hearing the first laughs of your child. The feeling of success when a goal is reached. A warm cup of coffee on a cold morning. The little things like this. I think we lose that child-like 'ah' as we age.

• Like 2

This is a very well-written thread. This is why I like the pagans and their "magical" ways. Woo or not, it's measurable, whatever your "rituals" happen to look like.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...