Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cockroach stuck in woman's ear for nine days

Still Waters

Katie Holley from Florida has penned an incredibly detailed account of how she woke up to a cockroach in her ear, and the nine days it took for the last bits of it to be removed.

Strap yourselves in, because this story is exactly as terrifying as it sounds.

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-woman-had-most-of-a-cockroach-removed-from-her-ear-9-days-after-it-crawled-in

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I'm telling you...I keep adding to the list of things I never should have known that I read about on UM.

Ick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

First there were bed-bugs.

That's it. I cant take it anymore... I'm placing roach traps next to my ears whilst sleeping.

• Haha 2

And my doc said I was experiencing auditory hallucinations, and prescribed meds.

Little did he know a roach symphony was practicing in my ear.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, pallidin said:

And my doc said I was experiencing auditory hallucinations, and prescribed meds.

Little did he know a roach symphony was practicing in my ear.

Does it still bug you?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I lived in New Orleans for several years. Everybody has roaches there, even the hoity-toity places. Can't get away from them. Roaches crawling into ears at night was a fairly common occurrence. It made the newspaper, the Times-Picayune, when one little girl had roaches in BOTH ears. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I see giant roach beasts every day of the year in FL (usually flying around outside, rarely inside) but never had one go in my ear. When I was a kid, a neighbor lady talked about it happening to her, though (going in the ear and getting stuck, etc). This just makes me want to cover my ears while I sleep. Ugh.

Edited by Skulduggery
  • Like 2

They need more wolfspiders in their home ! They eat a lot of them. Gecko are really good for this too and they are cute.

If you see a predator in your house, it's because they found food. If you kill the spider, just think about the 20 critters or so they eat for you each week who will become your permanent resident...and all their kids too !

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1

Roaches can be very hard to get rid of.  When I lived in Reading, PA, shortly after I got married, some of the German brown roaches got in thru the grocery bags or boxes.  After a few weeks of spraying Raid, which the German Roaches laughed at, I called an exterminator.  We had to have the whole house fumigated. After that with the monthly spraying, never another one showed.  Now every time it rains in Charlotte, one or two come in the bathroom thru the sewer pipes trying to get dry. And boy do they grow big down here!  The exterminator is due soon. Time to spray with better stuff than I can buy and let him crawl under the house.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:33 AM, Jon the frog said:

They need more wolfspiders in their home ! They eat a lot of them. Gecko are really good for this too and they are cute.

If you see a predator in your house, it's because they found food. If you kill the spider, just think about the 20 critters or so they eat for you each week who will become your permanent resident...and all their kids too !

Don't spiders bite people though?

Eew! Makes me want to put earplugs in my ear now when I sleep. Couldn't hurt.