Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hanger a genuine human emotion say scientists

Still Waters

There are times when you are so hungry that you can begin to feel an intense rage swelling up inside you.

While many assume that the term ‘hanger’ which describes such a state is a slang coined to juxtapose hunger and anger,

According to a scientist, “hanger” is in fact a real emotion that is triggered by our body’s physical response to craving food.

https://www.deccanchronicle.com/lifestyle/health-and-wellbeing/070518/hanger-a-genuine-human-emotion-say-scientists.html

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Yeah, nothing like starving to really PO a person (or other life forms as well). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Still Waters said:

There are times when you are so hungry that you can begin to feel an intense rage swelling up inside you.

While many assume that the term ‘hanger’ which describes such a state is a slang coined to juxtapose hunger and anger,

According to a scientist, “hanger” is in fact a real emotion that is triggered by our body’s physical response to craving food.

https://www.deccanchronicle.com/lifestyle/health-and-wellbeing/070518/hanger-a-genuine-human-emotion-say-scientists.html

Duh it's real!

Just ask my ex husband. He was well aware of the difference of opinion he'd be met with if bearing food. 

I've started carrying snacks with me for my wife anytime we're leaving the house for more than an hour two. Hanger is real and it is dangerous!!!! :cry::lol:

• Haha 2

A lot of what people call hunger is basically a trained Pavlov's dog thing. My Mom was one of those people that did most everything with almost military precision. We ate a 7 am, 12 noon and 6 pm religiously.  If we were someplace and she didn't eat on schedule she would get the vapors within 30 minutes of not eating on time. 

I am about the opposite of that (Who would imagine)  I eat once a day some time between 4pm and 7pm and have fasted off and on since I was a teen. I ate one meal every two days for a couple of years and have fasted twice for 14 days and probably half a dozen 7 day fasts. I can drive by a bakery and gain 5 pounds just from the small and have fought weight issues all my life. I am a big boy and right now am 6' 2" and weight 225 which is where I like to be. 

I found out early on that hunger seems to be more related to habit than actual need for food. After about three days it is gone for me and have never experienced it after that three day period. On the other hand if I am eating on a "regular" schedule it seems that I want to eat all the time. It is a known fact that eating rich carbohydrates makes you hungry. This is because in a hunter gatherer existence when fruit  and such are ripe and available you need to eat all you can because it isn't available all the time. 

By making my eating an irregular thing I at least by passed the trained response of eating even when I am not needing food because it is TIME to eat. As far as the Hangry thing, people always get annoyed when their habitual activities are interrupted or not on schedule. Ancient man ate hand to mouth. That means that we did not evolve to eat on a specific schedule.

There were lots of times when nothing was available. If people back then had gotten weak and wimpy when they missed a meal mankind would have gone extinct. Instead it always seemed to me that I had more energy after a day or two without food. I always likened it to a lion on the prowl. When my belly was full I wanted to find the shade and nap but when it was empty my energy levels grew. 

I'm sure that at some point I would experience real hunger that was caused by my body beginning to eat itself for energy but it doesn't happen in a day or two and for sure not after an hour past dinner time. I never went past about 16 days because my doctor and my reading indicate that after that period you can actually start harming some of your body processes. 

I suspect that my problems with weight and my lack of a quick hunger response is genetic. My family is Scott Irish Viking and the famins pretty much killed those with fast metabolisms that couldn't easily store fat when food was available and then slow it down so it didn't burn it up very fast when times were hard. 

I got into fasting to lose weight. After 6 months on a thousand calorie diet I had lost 4 pounds. I got off of in and in two weeks gained that all back on a just normal diet. No pigging out or eating sweets, just eating two or three normal meals a day. LOL, When I stopped eating my Mom acted like I was stabbing HER in her heart and doing it just to mess with her. That just made it more fun. I was 17 then. I did learn a lot about myself though and now at 65 still practice an irregular eating schedule.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DanL said:

I suspect that my problems with weight and my lack of a quick hunger response is genetic.

Quite possibly.

Its also almost guaranteed that your eating habits are forcing your body to store fat. When you go long times between meals your body on a cellular level goes into survival mode and rather than properly utilizing all the calories and nutrients you are taking in it stores them for the lean times. 

Try eating 6-8 small meals around 250-350 calories, snacks really, throughout the day rather than one big meal.  That will help to kickstart your metabolism. 

Being insulin resistant, I try to watch what I eat.  I do tend to over eat so I don't get hungry later due to my body not processing sugar properly.  I watch my sugar intake, which helps with my blood sugar, but doesn't do my weight any good.  I may be a few inches shorter than DanL (Earth 2 Kryptonian I guess), but I have him beat by about 70 lb.  With all the protein I eat, it's not all fat, which scares most of the TSA agents that have to pat me down because of all of the metal in me.  One thought I was carrying a gun on my right leg.  He starts patting me down and says, "That's just your leg?"  I said yep.  That ended the pat-down.

I have had some Hanger in my life. There has to be a name for an emotion for when you love and hate a person all at the same time? Is that called Marriage?

• Haha 1

On 5/7/2018 at 9:41 PM, Nzo said:

I have had some Hanger in my life. There has to be a name for an emotion for when you love and hate a person all at the same time? Is that called Marriage?

Sounds like you're in a bad marriage if you hate your husband.

The only reason I do intermittent fasting and omad is because of health reasons. I found that by skipping one or two meals a day I had less gallbladder pain and rarely had to deal with my diverticulitis. And I agree, eating is largely a habit. 

I basically just have an extremely efficient metabolism that in the past allowed me to eat more than most, easily store it as fat, and then turn miserly when I cut back. I tried all the diets including the 6 tiny meals a day at about a thousand calories a day and was unable to lose a significant amount of weight. The only diet that actually had some results was a form of the atkins diet where I stopped eating carbs all together and went hard core carnivora. Carbs make you hungry and store fat. Meat has L carnitine which helps your cell metabolize available fat easier and inhibits the making of fat. That was the result of primitive man's hunter gatherer lifestyle. When fruits and vegetables were available he gorged. When winter got there there were no carbs to be found so he ate meat. The meat slowed his metabolism into a different sort (ketosis) and the meat encouraged him to digest fat and live slower. Even today if you will notice you can eat carbs till you are full but meat will take you to the point of being satiated. Full, tired, and ready for a nap. 

Edited by DanL
  • Like 1