Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

University of Florida Commencement strife

and-then

11 minutes ago, aztek said:

yahoo ran the story, 11k comments, pretty much all agree, they deserved to be shoved.  i did not read all 11k but few hundreds i looked thru, all were of the same opinion, except very few.

While I'm not sure of the point of that post (I could do the same with anti Trump sentiments on just about every article ever) it did cause me to go and look at the comments and one did add some perspective.

It was from someone who claimed to have been there and to have heard the students be told not to do so before the event. If true that totally changes the story. 

2 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Two different cultures, two different thought patterns about celebrations, both cultures worked hard and deserve to celebrate how they see fit. 

Excuse me...what? Even if that wasn't a racist thing to say, there are specific rules that we all are expected to follow, even in a multicultural society. You'll also be thrown out of a Broadway play for causing a disruption. This was a ceremony. That in itself should be respected.

Celebrate however you like afterwards.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Excuse me...what? Even if that wasn't a racist thing to say

Recognizing how different cultures express joy is racist? Ooookay :rolleyes:

Even if that wasn't a racist thing to say, there are specific rules that we all are expected to follow, even in a multicultural society.

The university supported the students and not the administration  leaving the impression that there WASNT a rule which was violated. 

According to comments on the Yahoo article, read after I made the post you replied to,  by someone who claimed to be there the students were specifically told not to dance across the stage however. 

This was a ceremony. That in itself should be respected.

Again nowhere in the coverage I've seen has it been said what they were doing was a violation of any rules. 

The students didn't see dancing to celebrate their accomplishment as being disrespectful, and apparently neither did the university officially, just one staff member. 

You see it as disrespectful, they don't. That's a cultural difference, not a racist comment. 

Edited by Farmer77

18 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

According to comments on the Yahoo article, read after the post you replied to,  by someone who claimed to be there the students were specifically told not to dance across the stage however. 

Again nowhere in the coverage I've seen has it been said what they were doing was a violation of any rules. 

They are always told how to conduct themselves during the ceremony.

You see it as disrespectful, they don't. That's a cultural difference, not a racist comment. 

Are they not American?

I've heard many times in my life from "enlightened people" who tell me my surrogate Arab family don't think like "we" do. It always offended me. They are just as American as I am. Sure, they have their own traditions, but they know how to conduct themselves in public.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Michelle said:

They are always told how to conduct themselves during the ceremony.

Again the university recognized in their statements that this is a tradition for black fraternities and sororities giving no indication that their conduct was prohibited. 

7 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Are they not American?

I've heard many times in my life from "enlightened people" who tell me my surrogate Arab family don't think like "we" do. It always offended me. They are just as American as I am. Sure, they have their own traditions, but they know how to conduct themselves in public.

The great melding pot makes us one nation but we are not one culture. Heck due to the size of our nation that's not even strictly a racial thing. 

Heck for a more extreme example go visit the US Virgin Islands or Aniak Alaska. Those are Americans but their cultures are truly alien to the majority of main street USA. 

4 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Heck for a more extreme example go visit the US Virgin Islands or Aniak Alaska. Those are Americans but their cultures are truly alien to the majority of main street USA.

Yes, I'm well aware. My sister lived on St Thomas for 23 years. She was the manager over three jewelry stores and hired many locals. Regardless of their traditions, they conducted themselves according to management rules which these students should have done.

Kwanzaa is also a new "tradition". They are concocted every day to justify rebellious actions.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Yes, I'm well aware. My sister lived on St Thomas for 23 years.

No kidding? Did you ever get down there? Crazy place St. Thomas 

2 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

No kidding? Did you ever get down there? Crazy place St. Thomas 

Are you kidding? We had a free place to stay in paradise. We went as often as possible, at least every couple of years, for two weeks at a time. We knew almost everyone on the island.

• Like 1

This was one of the first stories on the Lester Holt talking points network news tonight. I guess that their race baiting quota wasn't met in April so they needed more "outrage" and more "uproar" for compensation. My reply is the same as Rhett Butler's in "Gone With The Wind". Rosa Parks just can't stop spinning in her grave over "Black Millennials' problems".

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Paranormal Panther said:

This was one of the first stories on the Lester Holt talking points network news tonight. I guess that their race baiting quota wasn't met in April so they needed more "outrage" and more "uproar" for compensation.

So its race baiting for Lester Holt to bring it up but not and then? 

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

So its race baiting for Lester Holt to bring it up but not and then? 

I don't blame Lester Holt. I blame the race-baiting MSM. I watch the NBC News each day. You seemingly can count on one or more race-baiting bits each week, some of which turn out to be false or incomplete.

• Like 1

I know about dignity and decorum, I had to wear suits for the first 20 years of my engineering career.  We would not have thought about antics at graduation.  However,  I am going to put myself in the place momentarily of a student who is the first in the family to even go to college, much less graduate.  Maybe nobody else even has a high school degree.  You can guess, but for some at least, I bet it was a tremendous amount of hard work and maybe sacrifice by the family.  Maybe it is showing off, maybe it is an unbelievable sense of joy and accomplishment.  My son will be finishing this year and I am proud of him.  If there are any celebrations on stage, I will assume the best and be happy for a newly productive member of society. Besides, I have enough grey hair to doze off during the ceremony if it lasts over two hours.

• Like 3

What will happen is they will eventually stop letting them walk and do it like the big schools. Years ago, when my sister graduated from Pitt, they used the Civic Arena and graduated them by "school". "School of Pharmacy,  stand up, you're graduated, sit down.  School of Chemical Engineering,  stand up, you're graduated, sit down." Last year, when my niece graduated from Penn State she chose to walk at the branch school closest to her home because there are too many students to stage walk at main campus.  We all went and it was dignified and special. This new need to show off is just another sign of the it's-all-about-me generation. I'm surprised they're not demanding to be able to take selfies during their walk. And p.s. if it's a cultural thing, why is it a new thing? Why hasn't this been going on for the past 70 years or so? Just another excuse for bad behaviour.

This is what they call "strife"? 

Babies...

I know; they should hold those things outside, so the Grads can go Streaking away once they have the paper in their hands.

I miss the good 'ol days.... 

On 5/8/2018 at 6:16 PM, Paranormal Panther said:

I don't blame Lester Holt. I blame the race-baiting MSM. I watch the NBC News each day. You seemingly can count on one or more race-baiting bits each week, some of which turn out to be false or incomplete.

Oh, wow! That was no exaggeration. Tonight, they aired *four* race-based stories *in a row*! It must just be a coincidence that the "bad guys" and the "good guys" always have the same race in these news segments.