Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
and then

University of Florida Commencement strife

41 posts in this topic

and then

https://abcnews.go.com/US/university-florida-apologizes-inappropriately-ushering-graduates-off-stage/story?id=54979432

This problem has been slowly growing for years.  A few students have always broken the rules of propriety during Commencement, usually by having family wildly applaud, yell and otherwise make a distraction.  As with all situations where some feel they aren't bound by the rules, the tendency to misbehave only expands.  Now we have grads at UF who feel they have the right to "stroll" or dance or otherwise set themselves apart so that they claim the limelight longer than is expected.

If this behavior is allowed to continue and progress, it will be the end of any kind of dignified recognition of mature young men and women celebrating a milestone achievement with their families in a public setting.  Public venues must be leased for the ceremony and since most communities only have a single such location for multiple schools to use, scheduling is critical.  Try sitting through such a ceremony when 300 or 500 or more have to have their name called, then briskly walk across the stage, accept the degree, shake a hand and move on.  It can seem ENDLESS.  NOW, add disruptive behavior like taking a slow stroll, dancing or even singing as each grad moves across and imagine how long it will take.  It becomes entertainment and each student will try to one-up, then each new CLASS will try to one-up.  My daughter will graduate with her engineering class in about a year and thankfully, it's a small class (relative to the Humanities and Business Schools) and we shouldn't have to put up with this silly, disrespectful behavior on a day that should be DIGNIFIED.  

Those who think me an old grump, I'll cop to that.  If it takes being a grump to save one of the last ceremonial expressions that have traditionally had dignity and meaning, I'm all in.  Why the HELL do people have to tear down every last vestige of propriety and tradition?  GRRRRRR  <_<

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

aztek

cancel the whole event, mail the diplomas.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Farmer77
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, and then said:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/university-florida-apologizes-inappropriately-ushering-graduates-off-stage/story?id=54979432

This problem has been slowly growing for years.  A few students have always broken the rules of propriety during Commencement, usually by having family wildly applaud, yell and otherwise make a distraction.  As with all situations where some feel they aren't bound by the rules, the tendency to misbehave only expands.  Now we have grads at UF who feel they have the right to "stroll" or dance or otherwise set themselves apart so that they claim the limelight longer than is expected.

If this behavior is allowed to continue and progress, it will be the end of any kind of dignified recognition of mature young men and women celebrating a milestone achievement with their families in a public setting.  Public venues must be leased for the ceremony and since most communities only have a single such location for multiple schools to use, scheduling is critical.  Try sitting through such a ceremony when 300 or 500 or more have to have their name called, then briskly walk across the stage, accept the degree, shake a hand and move on.  It can seem ENDLESS.  NOW, add disruptive behavior like taking a slow stroll, dancing or even singing as each grad moves across and imagine how long it will take.  It becomes entertainment and each student will try to one-up, then each new CLASS will try to one-up.  My daughter will graduate with her engineering class in about a year and thankfully, it's a small class (relative to the Humanities and Business Schools) and we shouldn't have to put up with this silly, disrespectful behavior on a day that should be DIGNIFIED.  

Those who think me an old grump, I'll cop to that.  If it takes being a grump to save one of the last ceremonial expressions that have traditionally had dignity and meaning, I'm all in.  Why the HELL do people have to tear down every last vestige of propriety and tradition?  GRRRRRR  <_<

While I fundamentally disagree with you on the issue I do sincerely hope you and your daughter get the commencement you are hoping for. Congratulations ! 

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

Farmer77
Just now, aztek said:

If I had to put money on it Ill bet they just end up with segregated ceremonies. 

.ZZ.
Posted (edited)

@and then I agree 100%. Some treat it like Dancing with the stars or some American Idol audition.

Congrats to your daughter! I'm sure you are as proud of her as I am of my successful daughter.

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Farmer77
Just now, .ZZ. said:

Congrats to your daughter! I'm sure you are as proud of her as I am of my successful daughter.

Its funny ive never given a rip about keeping up with the Jones' but I find myself really hoping I can be bragging like you guys in a couple of years. 

• Like 4

aztek
3 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

If I had to put money on it Ill bet they just end up with segregated ceremonies. 

yea i know schools love to segregate. it seems to be the spirit nowadays

• Like 1

Farmer77
1 minute ago, aztek said:

yea i know schools love to segregate. it seems to be the spirit nowadays

IDK that its wrong in this case, assuming it was a mutual thing and all that. Two different cultures, two different thought patterns about celebrations, both cultures worked hard and deserve to celebrate how they see fit. 

• Like 1

and then

While it may come to that, eventually, why should the few have veto power over the many?  Perhaps some families could pay for smaller venues and graduate among like-minded graduates who see the ceremony as something to be respected.  Failing that, possibly the class could subdivided into smaller groups so that those who want to "strut and fret" their time across the stage, will not hold everyone else up for too long.  The easiest solution would be for young people to be taught to respect a time-honored tradition.  One student complained because she wasn't allowed to properly celebrate all her hard work over 4 years.  She doesn't seem to be aware that a couple of CENTURiES of graduates have  not been able to "celebrate" in such a way.  I guess it's just another expression of the snowflake generation.

• Thanks 1

and then
5 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

@and then I agree 100%. Some treat it like Dancing with the stars or some American Idol audition.

Thanks guys.  I am extremely proud of her.  I only wish she'd have had an interest in one of the more "traditional" disciplines like chemical, mechanical or even computer Engineering.  She fell in love with something called Industrial Systems Design Engineering.  I told her that if I had made A's and B's throughout a dozen advanced calculus, physics and statistics classes, I'd have damn well been able to BUILD something at the end of it :w00t:

• Like 4

aztek
2 minutes ago, and then said:

While it may come to that, eventually, why should the few have veto power over the many?  

because it takes only few to create a disaster.  

if schools want to keep the tradition they need to request $2000 bank check, or whatever sum would be not worth losing,  from each student. and if someone does what is against rules, them or their family,  their check is kept, the rest get them back. you can't provide a check, you are banned, you will be mailed your diploma. other than that i can't see how to stop it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Farmer77

because it takes only few to create a disaster.  

if schools want to keep the tradition they need to request $2000 bank check, or whatever sum would be not worth losing,  from each student. and if someone does what is against rules, them or their family,  their check is kept, the rest get them back. you can't provide a check, you are banned, you will be mailed your diploma. other than that i can't see how to stop it. 

It wasn't against the rules. And Then simply would have appreciated a different decorum 

• Like 1

aztek
2 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

It wasn't against the rules. And Then simply would have appreciated a different decorum 

the article\topic is about disruptions during ceremonies, by some students and their parents\relatives, isn't it?

• Like 1

Farmer77
Just now, aztek said:

the article\topic is about disruptions during ceremonies, by some students and their parents\relatives, isn't it?

No its actually about the inappropriate actions of a staff member while graduates were dancing across the stage. The university has fully apologized to the students and guaranteed the ability of students to walk across the stage however they like in the future. Apparently its a tradition for the black fraternities and sororities 

• Like 1

and then
5 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

IDK that its wrong in this case, assuming it was a mutual thing and all that. Two different cultures, two different thought patterns about celebrations, both cultures worked hard and deserve to celebrate how they see fit. 

I have no problem with that in theory.  While the celebration seems to primarily come from other than white ethnicities, I'm sure there are MANY white students who'd have no problem with watching their friends celebrate and take the extra time.  For those who feel that way, they can attend either ceremony.  I think the truth is that I AM becoming an old coot.  It just seems to me that when parents have saved, worked and sacrificed for an education for their child, they ought to also be respected in these ceremonies.  

Lest I be named a racist, I'll share this little story... I once took my 16-year-old niece and nephew to see an Eddie Murphy movie called COMING TO AMERICA.  I've always loved his movies, his stand-up was too rank by far.  Anyway, we noticed just before the lights went down that we three were the ONLY whites in the audience.  This was Mobile, Alabama in 1988, so that wasn't too unusual and certainly wasn't intimidating.  By the time that movie was over, we had decided that we had never known what we were missing by not attending black-themed movies with mostly black audiences.  We left there with our eyes red and our sides sore from laughing at the movie AND at the reactions of the rest of the audience.  It was PRICELESS :w00t:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

aztek
2 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

No its actually about the inappropriate actions of a staff member while graduates were dancing across the stage. 

you mean proper actions by stuff towards graduates who distrusted ceremony?

• Like 1

Farmer77
1 minute ago, and then said:

It just seems to me that when parents have saved, worked and sacrificed for an education for their child, they ought to also be respected in these ceremonies.  

I honestly cant argue with that. 

1 minute ago, and then said:

Lest I be named a racist, I'll share this little story

That thought honestly hadn't crossed my mind. I support their right to behave in that manner but I find it very odd and outside of my personal character 

3 minutes ago, and then said:

It was PRICELESS :w00t:

Oh you gotta see a horror movie in one . Cliches abound and its fantastic :lol:

• Haha 1

and then
4 minutes ago, aztek said:

Farmer is correct about the article's focus.  However, I've attended High School and University ceremonies where this kind of behavior has caused many in the audience to complain to the administration and to be very disappointed both in the lack of decorum and the extra time the ceremony took.  It's a growing problem within a society that is becoming more striated or even Balkanized, daily.  I have no problem with some groups celebrating their graduation in a different manner.  I have a problem with traditions being ditched for the rest, whether they like it or not.  Hopefully, school administrators will find a classy way to solve this issue.

• Like 3

Farmer77
3 minutes ago, aztek said:

you mean proper actions by stuff towards graduates who distrusted ceremony?

Did you watch the video? One of the staff decided to try and be a bouncer on kids who weren't breaking any rules. 

aztek
4 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Did you watch the video? One of the staff decided to try and be a bouncer on kids who weren't breaking any rules. 

it is only an effect, and the cause is below bolded.  so what if 1 member of the staff overreacted, that is not the point.   there is a bigger picture here, much bigger. 

4 minutes ago, and then said:

Farmer is correct about the article's focus.  However, I've attended High School and University ceremonies where this kind of behavior has caused many in the audience to complain to the administration and to be very disappointed both in the lack of decorum and the extra time the ceremony took.  It's a growing problem within a society that is becoming more striated or even Balkanized, daily.  I have no problem with some groups celebrating their graduation in a different manner.  I have a problem with traditions being ditched for the rest, whether they like it or not.  Hopefully, school administrators will find a classy way to solve this issue.

papageorge1

State the appropriate rules of conduct beforehand and enforce them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

XenoFish

Is a college diploma worth anything anymore? I mean, I do like a well educated cashier. These ceremonies are a huge waste of time. 

• Like 3

Farmer77
59 minutes ago, aztek said:

it is only an effect, and the cause is below bolded.  so what if 1 member of the staff overreacted, that is not the point.   there is a bigger picture here, much bigger. 

It's funny you should focus on that. I just finished reading an article about how Trump voters did so basically out of fear of losing their societal status. I wasn't gonna post it , pearls before swine and all that , but your post was just too perfect to not. 

White Fear Elected Trump: Political Scientist Diana Mutz Explains the 'Status Threat' Hypothesis 

aztek
11 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

It's funny you should focus on that. I just finished reading an article about how Trump voters did so basically out of fear of losing their societal status. I wasn't gonna post it , pearls before swine and all that , but your post was just too perfect to not. 

White Fear Elected Trump: Political Scientist Diana Mutz Explains the 'Status Threat' Hypothesis 

TDS

• Haha 1

Farmer77
Just now, aztek said:

TDS

See the source image

:lol: