Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists train spider to jump on demand

Still Waters

Scientists have unlocked the secrets of how some predatory spiders catch their prey whilst hunting by successfully training one to jump different distances and heights for the first time.

The study, conducted by researchers at The University of Manchester, is the most advanced of its kind to date and first to use 3D CT scanning and high-speed, high-resolution cameras to record, monitor and analyse a spider's movement and behaviour.

https://phys.org/news/2018-05-scientists-spider-demand-secrets-animal.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

NOw let's see them do La Macarena ... or Mambo No 5

~

• Haha 1

Spiders have always intrigued me. There abilities are amazing. We become use to them but when analyzed closely they are remarkable animals

• Like 2

My friends tarantula would come running to it's name. Mine loved getting petted I think they are smarter  and can ne friendlier than they usually get credit for.

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 2

I...don't...like...spiders...Sorry.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, NicoletteS said:

My friends tarantula would come running to it's name.

Really? ..cool     Ive never heard of that before..   I certainly believe most animals are much more intelligent then people give them credit for

• Like 4

Yeah, I know that spiders can be enormously healthy for the environment, but I guess I just don't like creepy-crawly anything.

But from an evolutionary standpoint they are a unique and amazing creature

Spiders both fascinate and frighten me. They are creepy-beautiful. As long as they don't surprise me, or crawl on me, I'm cool with them. I'd love it if I could train a few to stay away from me, yet also patrol my apartment for insects.

• Like 2

What command did they supposedly give that displayed obedience from Kim? Jumping spiders do whatever the he'll they want! it took

It is amazing that they are studying these teddy bear spider babies but they didn't train it to jump on command, science don't click bait me. Kim wasn't the first spider they tried to get to pay attention to the platforms. And that's all she did. I play with and handle these spiders every time I see them a lot of times but not every time they will jump on your arm or finger if I stick it out in front of them. #scienceisaliarsometimes

On 5/8/2018 at 6:40 AM, third_eye said:

NOw let's see them do La Macarena ... or Mambo No 5

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

~ vid snip ~

:tu:

That's the best ... :D

~