Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How would gods omnipotence work

Keymaster

7 minutes ago, brian100 said:

Just because its dark dosen't mean there is no light.

You're just running around in circles troll.

Find out what light can and can't penetrate, then find out about life that thrives without light.

21 hours ago, Scudbuster said:

With all the atrocities, wars, rapes, robberies, fires, accidents, going on i'd have to say "he" obviously isn't up to the job.

Then you aught to run for God's administrative office position, because those who usually recognize and point out other's deficiencies have ideas of their own on how to fix them. Tell me your plans and I may vote for you, next time.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 3:03 AM, Piney said:

I believe in the Algonquian concept that "God" is Creation. Literally the "Living Universe" which we are all part of.  

You actually believe that baseless and unproven concept? Worshiping stones and other material stuff is no different than believing in and worshiping the little old man in the sky and his son, which you ridicule at every turn. Give yourself, on a silver platter, that award of the pot and the kettle you dish out to others.

6 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

You actually believe that baseless and unproven concept? Worshiping stones and other material stuff is no different than believing in and worshiping the little old man in the sky and his son, which you ridicule at every turn. Give yourself, on a silver platter, that award of the pot and the kettle you dish out to others.

You do not worship the Living Universe. You acknowledge it as you are part of it because that would be "self worship".

Thanks for trying to twist my words and make my spiritual belief look "primitive" though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's really too much presumptuousness on the part of of man to think that we could, somehow, comprehend how God, as an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent being would operate. We are given only to realize and understand that a Being, God, is One of such absolute and superlative abilities.   

20 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

It's really too much presumptuousness on the part of of man to think that we could, somehow, comprehend how God, as an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent being would operate. We are given only to realize and understand that a Being, God, is One of such absolute and superlative abilities.   

It's really to much presumptuousness to think we are somehow significant to Creation in the vastness of the Universe. 

We are a speck and after we are gone something else will come along. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Piney said:

You do not worship the Living Universe. You acknowledge it as you are part of it because that would be "self worship".

Thanks for trying to twist my words and make my spiritual belief look "primitive" though. 

No thanks required, as I'm returning a favor. It's not only primitive, as it is also baseless and without evidence. And if you believe in evolution and in a living universe that is said to be meaningless and without purpose, then you also have conflicting beliefs. It then must mean that you, being a part of it, have no meaning and purpose.  So what's your point? And as far as self worship, you have no problems worshiping your presumed beliefs and achievements as being facts and of great worth.

Can something without intent and meaning give rise to meaning and purpose? You should not pride yourself on having achieved anything in a world without intent and purpose, as achievement implies purpose and intent. Any faithful and true spirited evolutionist will tell you that it's all for naught. 

4 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

No thanks required, as I'm returning a favor. It's not only primitive, as it is also baseless and without evidence.

Like your claim of Atlantis being a prophecy of the States and you, the spokesperson for the Christian God and a reincarnation of Plato?

6 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

you have no problems worshiping your presumed beliefs and achievements as being facts and of great worth.

As you do....:lol:

Projecting again are we? 

4 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

You're just running around in circles troll.

Find out what light can and can't penetrate, then find out about life that thrives without light.

The only place without light to any infinitesimal degree is where there is absolute darkness. And that place does exists, and it's hell, the real one, and ot the hell ever imagined by man. 

On 9/19/2019 at 10:33 PM, DieChecker said:

Assuming omniscience, God could care about every grain of sand on all of those planets. Watching each single grain every picosecond into forever. 

Can you not care about every plant and animal on Earth? Would a bacteria deep in the rock, below Nebraska, be cared for by you any more, or any less, then any other animal, or plant?

Yes, I think ascribing a boredom index, or a care factor index, to a putative God, is very much a case of imagining any God must "think" like we do. Risible, to say the least.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 9:12 AM, XenoFish said:

Well unless god is an entity that can perceive all possible thing in time and space. Then yeah, god would be a time lord.

My understanding is that the Creator is outside of time and can see past, present and future at once.  It's why Christ was called the "spirit of prophecy"  He offered proof to his disciples by telling them what would come in their day.  

1 minute ago, and then said:

My understanding is that the Creator is outside of time and can see past, present and future at once.  It's why Christ was called the "spirit of prophecy"  He offered proof to his disciples by telling them what would come in their day.  

People also didn't understand what a self-fulfilling prophecy is either. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DieChecker said:

If you were a god, would you prevent all accidents and all crime, and fires, and disasters? You'd make the world perfect, and keep people from being mean?

If I was an "all merciful" and "righteous" and " all loving" god(which believers claim he is those things).....absolutely, as well as stopping all disease and hunger and suffering.

On 9/19/2019 at 12:10 AM, brian100 said:

That's the same as saying God is everything (pantheism).  We know its not true b/c everything withers and dies.

You may think that but "we" do not know it is not true.  You make a lot of assumptions.  withering and dying are part of the design or "all that is".  Why would you think your god would not include natural entropy when we see it everywhere.  Entropy is part of the design, so either you believe god is involved or you don't believe in a god.  You can't have it both ways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2018 at 1:03 AM, Keymaster said:

Operating Under the assumption that there is a unified conciousness, in what way would it perhaps exist. And if so how could this conciousness give and recieve information omnipotently. Aswell as have the ability to interact with physical matter taking up space/ the space itself. I have my own opinions, but i would really like to hear others. 

I think a unified consciousness on the macro level it would look like one entity, and on the micro level (our perceptions of it) would look like a bunch of individual entities.  We perceive rocks and trees and badgers as separate entities on one small separate planet but a unified consciousness could be one large entity with many small cells infused with consciousness of a sort.  But, I agree with Piney, everything is permeated with life force and part of the whole.  The living universe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2018 at 8:03 AM, Keymaster said:

Operating Under the assumption that there is a unified conciousness, in what way would it perhaps exist. And if so how could this conciousness give and recieve information omnipotently. Aswell as have the ability to interact with physical matter taking up space/ the space itself. I have my own opinions, but i would really like to hear others. 

What is nothingness? It is the absence of everything.

If you think about it then a thing can only exist if its made out of something. Nothingness cannot be made out of something or it isn't nothingness. Therefore nothingness has never and can never exist. That means at the very minimum one thing must always exist and that is the starting place for my version of Monism. If we think further about it we know three more things:

1. Something can only exist if its made from something.

2. Something can only exist if it exists somewhere.

3. Something can only exist if it exists at a point in time.

So we have one thing. Then we know space, time, and matter exist. From that we know three more things:

1. If something is made from matter, that is relative to matter it isn't made from.

2. If something exists at a point in space, that is relative to all the other locations it isn't at.

3. If something exists at a point in time, that is relative to the past and future (before the point and after it). And continued existence of the one thing creates instances along a timeline one after the other creating time flow.

So now we have a minimum of one thing existing. From that we know that space, time, and matter exist. From that we know that space, time, and matter are relative. Basically these things exist to prop up the existence of the one thing. None can exist without the other. But we can go further, we can ask well what needs to exist to prop up the existence of space time and matter.

1. Retro-creation: The space, time, and matter, populate out backwards in time creating the universe and its contents needed to support their own existence all the way back to the Big Bang.

2. Forward-creation: They populate out the universe going forwards into presumably all the way to the Big Crunch.

3. Sideways-creation: They populate out the present too creating everything needed to prop up their existence.

So the one thing gets positioned as the centre piece around which the rest of the universe is constructed. While we cannot define that as consciousness yet, the rest of the universe building up around it automatically places it as consciousness. The matter the one thing is made up of becomes its body, matter propagates backwards in time giving the entity parents, it propagates out across the present time creating `other consciousnesses`, etc. I could carry on but I can build up the entire universe that exists from one thing which must by default automatically exist as the bare minimum.

There is a weird potential above it all, above the one thing, above space, time and matter, and its called non-duality. It is the potential from which all things come into being from. Dualities come from it, and the dualities are the foundations upon which the universe is built. I recommend getting into Gnosticism and reading the Gospel of Thomas. In it Jesus goes through a list of dualities (good and evil, male and female) etc, and instructs his followers to integrate them back together. You wont get back to non-duality or get rid of space, time, and matter.

But your consciousness has also introduce 100s if not 1000s of dualities which you can glue back together.

2 hours ago, justin3651 said:

If I was an "all merciful" and "righteous" and " all loving" god(which believers claim he is those things).....absolutely, as well as stopping all disease and hunger and suffering.

Why invent "people" to begin with? We're terrible things.

1 minute ago, Robotic Jew said:

Why invent "people" to begin with? We're terrible things.

Why did we invent God anyway? It was a terrible idea.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Why did we invent God anyway? It was a terrible idea.

It made sense at the time,  Same as using flint knives did.  

7 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

The only place without light to any infinitesimal degree is where there is absolute darkness. And that place does exists, and it's hell, the real one, and ot the hell ever imagined by man. 

Hell would be your company on a daily basis.

8 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

The most you can do is cling to archaic beliefs where God thrives.

4 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

If you think about it then a thing can only exist if its made out of something.

If you think of a thing, envision it, does it exist?

We can imagine many things; FTL space travel, time travel, cloning processes that don't take a lifetime to bear fruit, etc. 

Da Vinci envisioned ( and sketched!) many things that couldn't be realistically created in his time, but required advancements in technology to achieve. Did they not exist? Or did they exist as an idea, a datum, a seed awaiting germination, an inspiration?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The more I think about all this. The more I find it all most hilarious. People arguing over the reality of someone's imaginary friend. I'm guilty of this as well, but dang it's one hell of a joke. 

• Haha 3

God as an idea, as a fictional character can be whatever we wish it to be. Like superman or batman, even the greek gods got a second life as comic book characters. Seems people need their 'hero' and 'god' types to illustrate something. God is all, god is this, god is that. God only exist within the bounds of human imagination. That is the only place god is real. 

• Thanks 1