Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mormons to Cut Ties with Boy Scouts

Piney

GOOD! 

If the Boy Scouts have so much respect for First Nation Natives they would of never tied up with *snip* [them] in the first place.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mormon-church-to-sever-its-105-year-old-ties-to-the-boy-scouts-at-end-of-2019/ar-AAwYPgf

Edited by Saru
Edited for defamation - keep it civil please.
  • Like 4

Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, seperated ... what the hell is wrong with that?

It was perfectly fine.

Cheerleaders... classically women. Maybe we should demand males be put in their ranks... YUCK.

Both my brothers joined the Boy Scouts, and one of them got really close to Eagle scout. I myself, as a teenager, was pretty anti-social and preferred, as a teenager, to stalk about alone in the woods for miles around instead.

The Scout Leaders and most of the kids were Mormons, or so I heard. Decent enough people, I guess, but they followed (what I then thought, and still do) a lot of weird stuff. 

Same brother would always talk to the Jehovah's Witness people. I'd always slip out the back and watch them like a cat from the tall grass till they left.

I think this will overall, and in the long run, be a good thing for the Scouts.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2018 at 5:15 PM, pallidin said:

Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, seperated ... what the hell is wrong with that?

It was perfectly fine.

Cheerleaders... classically women. Maybe we should demand males be put in their ranks... YUCK.

Male cheerleaders are 100% a thing, dude. They have been for years.

• Thanks 2

Good. No good can come from a cult like the Mormons being involved with children.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Podo said:

Good. No good can come from a cult like the Mormons being involved with children.

Yet they have for generations.

The other side of my wife's family were Mormons (stll are).  Her great-grandmother was married to a Mormon.  She ran him out when she caught him cheating on her.  We don't know how it happened, but he wound up buried in somebody else's grave (We have a letter from the grave's owner asking her to move the body.  She said no, and apparently none too politely.).  Her life story would put Little Big Man to shame.

Doug

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 09/05/2018 at 10:14 PM, Scudbuster said:

Yes- good....very good.

Sadly, I think they are one of the biggest poster children for the word "cult" in America today. 

Who ? The Mormons or the scouting movement ?  :) 

Edited by Mr Walker

Wonder how they will woggle their way out of this .  :):) 

(cutting ties ...woggle fastener  or tie for  neckerchief /scarf in scouting ) 

My dad was a Boy Scout Leader, Troop 84, in the small town I grew up in in Illinois. I was a Boy Scout for about 2 weeks, then quit. Boy Scouts were okay, it just wasn't for me.

Where I live now in Tennessee, the Boy Scouts are supported by the churches around here. I think the Scouts should be a secular organization independent of religion. 

I don't know how Boy and Girl Scouts will be combined. I think boys and girls need their own separate thing or comradeship. But when I was in the Scouts, if Girl Scouts were there too, I may have stayed in the Scouts. :)  But just as a kid. In my day as a kid, we just looked at girls and wondered about them. What goes on with today's kids, I don't know.

• Like 3

I'm glad the Mormons are out for obvious reasons.

I'm not sure why people are so upset about some girls joining the scouts. 

There are some girls who would rather do the things that the boy scouts do, and that's ok. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was in Scouts and loved it, we did have our meetings in the church basement but there was no interaction with the church and all the Scout members were of different denominations. Lord Baden Powell instigated the Scouts and my grandfather was in S.Africa with him at the time of the Boar War.

I enjoyed the challenges, the camping and fellowship that I had with them in my youth and my older brother and friends all joined together. We helped each other achieve every merit badge that there was as we we all set on becoming Queen Scouts which at that time was the highest honor that could be attained unfortunately the year that we completed all requirements they dropped the Queen Scouts and we could become Rangers which was a big letdown for us because anyone could just join the Rangers without having passing the merit challenges so most of us went into military cadets instead.

I didn't enjoy the experience of the educational system because it was restrictive and subject to personal bias of some of the teachers. In Scouts we chose our challenges and moved at our own pace, motivated by the recognition of achievement and still maintaining equality of our peers. I can't fault a system that worked so well for so may of us and gave us usable skills, confidence and a sense of pride as an individual and a group.

jmccr8

• Like 4

I was in the girl scouts as a girl. I as well as my sister, yet we were pulled out by my mother. Only because, she also worked and couldn't pick us up all of the time. (I have memories of my sister and I stuck at scout meeting places waiting for her.) I had my kids in the scouts as well. My daughter went all the way up to the Girl Scouts. My son was a cub, and stopped from there. The only reason they didn't go on, was because we moved to another state, and both my kids seemed not enthusiastic about it. My daughter ended going into the FFA, and my son joined the town's baseball teams. (He also joined various school music bands.), So, they had other priorities in their lives. Plus, there wasn't any reaching out on both sides. 

Though, there was positive experiences with both scouts, which lessened with the changing of leaders with the Girl Scouts, though my son had the one leader, and she was awesome. Considering my kids never went to church or have any religious upbringing, I was a bit tensed in some of the religious badges that could be earned. (Don't worry, it wasn't necessary and was done outside of meetings. The scout leaders were very understanding.) 

Here's the thing though, at one major boy scout meeting, we saw a video of talking about the boy scouts, and one of the things said in the video, was how boys not being in the scouts will definitely make then choose a criminal and bad path. :o That astounded me, hearing that. A friend actually pulled her kids for that. I think, that was also a reason I didn't reach out to find any in the place I moved to. 

I don't believe that the Mormon church wasn't breaking away, because of the recent change of the scouts to include girls. I actually find it an interesting coincidence that it happened. 

So, I too, think a more secular path is good for the scouts. And that both boy and girl scouts should merge, I think that is for the best. Even remembering the certain ideals and tasks of the scouts, I think it stereotypes genders, and that I find archaic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On May 9, 2018 at 7:12 AM, Piney said:

GOOD! 

If the Boy Scouts have so much respect for First Nation Natives they would of never tied up with *snip* [them] in the first place.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mormon-church-to-sever-its-105-year-old-ties-to-the-boy-scouts-at-end-of-2019/ar-AAwYPgf

Piney, does this mean you're comfortable to join the Boy Scouts now? :lol:

I was in scouting. Got my Eagle. I really enjoyed my time there. Had you asked me back then about letting girls in, I probably would've said, "Go to hell!" Ask me now and I'd say, let 'em in.

• Thanks 1

It's a quick way to make a bunch of little Scouts. Perhaps membership is that low.

Harte

• Haha 1

Do boys get to join the Girl Scouts, too?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Piney, does this mean you're comfortable to join the Boy Scouts now? :lol:

I was in scouting. Got my Eagle. I really enjoyed my time there. Had you asked me back then about letting girls in, I probably would've said, "Go to hell!" Ask me now and I'd say, let 'em in.

One of my Indian grandfather's was a scoutmaster. He was a tracker and Army scout and his former scouts still tell me how great he was. My "Medicine Man" grandfather use to help the scouts at Camp Roosevelt  make their regalia. I joined up in Camden County but my Scoutmaster wasn't happy about a scout whose grandfather's taught him more than he knew. So I left and joined the Civil Air Patrol as a cadet instead and became a "Ranger" which was their version of a ....I guess, Eagle Scout?

• Like 3

My question is who really cares about the Mormons? I don't know how they aren't losing members themselves. With all the information we now have on religions it is beyond me how people fall for these cults?

Edited by Truthseeker007
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Truthseeker007 said:

My question is who really cares about the Mormons? I don't know how they aren't losing members themselves. With all the information we now have on religions it is beyond me how people fall for these cults?

They are growing in this area. I chased them out of Upper Deerfield with my "woo" but one of the local TV stations is promoting their temple in Philly and you see them walking all over and going door to door in Vineland and Millville.

Evangelicalism has grown in leaps and bounds around here and I had a nasty encounter with a "Hellfire" tent preacher at the local hardware store. I ran him down too...He tried to curse me for my evil ways....B)

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Piney said:

They are growing in this area. I chased them out of Upper Deerfield with my "woo" but one of the local TV stations is promoting their temple in Philly and you see them walking all over and going door to door in Vineland and Millville.

Evangelicalism has grown in leaps and bounds around here and I had a nasty encounter with a "Hellfire" tent preacher at the local hardware store. I ran him down too...He tried to curse me for my evil ways....B)

Usually if one of them comes up or knocks at my door I tell them their god is an Anunnaki Reptilian and they usually leave in disgust.:lol: Sometimes I ask them if they want to meet their maker with my fist also. Actually I have plenty of things to tell them so they don't bother me again.:D Another good one is saying I am glad they killed Jesus and I wish I was there to watch that.:rolleyes:

Edited by Truthseeker007
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Truthseeker007 said:

Usually if one of them comes up or knocks at my door I tell them there god is an Anunnaki Reptilian and they usually leave in disgust.:lol: Sometimes I ask them if they want to meet their maker with my fist also. Actually I have plenty of things to tell them so they don't bother me again.:D Another good one is saying I am glad they killed Jesus and I wish I was there to watch that.:rolleyes:

Usually when they see 165lbs of chainsaw swinging meat with yellow eyes, pointy ears and sharp teeth walking slowly at them, they are automatically put on the defensive. :lol:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

Usually when they see 165lbs of chainsaw swinging meat with yellow eyes, pointy ears and sharp teeth walking slowly at them, they are automatically put on the defensive. :lol:

You should tell them you are out for revenge for what the Christian pilgrims did. I am sure they will shart their pants.:lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Truthseeker007 said:

You should tell them you are out for revenge for what the Christian pilgrims did. I am sure they will shart their pants.:lol:

The owner of the general store runs in the back and shuts off the cameras as soon as he sees my face, while his son and daughter are usually on the floor laughing. :lol:

• Haha 2

On 11/05/2018 at 2:59 PM, Podo said:

Now why would you say that? I married in to a Mormon family, my wife's uncle is an extremely esteemed member of the Mormon community and I've never heard so much as a whisper of anything related to predatory behaviour and kids. There's infidelity but that's not surprising.

Is there something I should know about? So far, my experience as an outsider has been nothing but positive.

Why is it so taboo now that boys have a place they go to grow in to men? A place for boys only? There is a war on masculinity and culturally, it's going to backfire big time. You cant keep injecting females in to every boys club without giving the boys somewhere else to go. They are the backbone of society and the boys we develop now will shape the society of tommorow.

What gets me about the destruction of the boy scouts is the lack of justification. What have they gained by allowing girls? A girl's scouting group already exists! Just more destruction for the sake of destruction.

6 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Why is it so taboo now that boys have a place they go to grow in to men? A place for boys only? There is a war on masculinity and culturally, it's going to backfire big time. You cant keep injecting females in to every boys club without giving the boys somewhere else to go. They are the backbone of society and the boys we develop now will shape the society of tommorow.

What gets me about the destruction of the boy scouts is the lack of justification. What have they gained by allowing girls? A girl's scouting group already exists! Just more destruction for the sake of destruction.

Hi Dark_Grey

Yes I do agree that there should be venues where guys can just go and hang with the guys. Ever try to go for a workout at Spalady, no chance exclusively for women.:lol:

jmccr8

• Like 1