Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery bristle brush

UM-Bot

By: Art | Location: Whittier, U.S.A.

I don't understand what I saw, but I actually touched it and pulled on it. I know what it looked like, but can't explain! I took my morning walk along side of the rail road tracks by my house which I've taken many times. I walk a couple of miles(1 mile down and 1 mile back). On the way back I noticed which looks like a "Synthetic(nylon)bristles from a small broom or duster" sticking out of the ground! 

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/stories/112079/mystery-bristle-brush

• Like 1

Wow, I read your whole story. You will probably hear multiple times that it is a shame you didn't take a picture. I am no biologist, but I know of no plant or animal sticking out with 6 to 7 inch bristles that can retract into the ground almost instantly, but maybe someone knows something?

Then on the paranormal or alien front, anything is possible at that point. People, does this resemble any kind of paranormal or alien lore you have ever heard of? 

Anything else unusual before or since that we might tie into this story.?

Edited by papageorge1

Could have been survey marking whiskers. May have been removed for reuse, once the need for them was finished. These are typically pounded into the ground with a 60 penny nail (about 6 inches long) which is inserted through a metal bracket where the bristles are doubled over. It might be impossible to pull these out of hard ground by hand. Please find a link, below, to a page which includes images of these bristles;

http://www.surv-kap.com?Survey-Accessories/Survey-Marking-Whiskers?product_id=410 

• Like 3

Only thing I can think of is that you experienced an hallucination. 

I'd like to reply to a couple of members who have responded to my story of the "Mystery Bristle Brush"!  First to "Bison", your response/comments made sense, I liked that you're being SERIOUS about what I experienced, HOWEVER,  I saw it on my walk, couldn't understand what it was, I did try to pull it up out of the ground, But couldn't make it even budge!  All sounds good EXCEPT for, I walked away from it, a total of no more than a few feet, turned back to look at it(within seconds) and IT WAS GONE!  There was No One around at the time I was walking..  Where did it go???

Now a response to Miss Jatti, who also may be trying to make sense of my story!  You know what, "I've thought that myself"?  But what would make me have an Hallucination "out of nowhere?" And for no reason..  I have never ever had an hallucination before, I mean I know I might have said in the past a statement like, "Well I thought I saw something, but I'm not sure.."  BUT, this was about 10:00 am.  I don't drink or use anything at that time of the day, I may have a beer or 2 in the afternoon after a long day or work, but then I have dinner and go to bed and start over the next day..  No!  This was not any type of Hallucination, because this was actually physical and not just a visual experience!  

I will be taking with me my camera from now on, when I go for my walks..  !!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bison is likely correct.

I also have seen these colored bristle survey markers many times.

markingwhiskersgroup-280x280.jpg.ce9df9583f735b7f0593c4deb254db9a.jpg

6 inch Marking Whiskers are a practical marking choice for surveying and construction sites. They can also be used for marking utility lines and athletic fields. 

They are designed to provide maximum visibility and withstand multiple passes of a grader blade. These safe and easy to spot whiskers can be easily hammered into a wooden stake or quickly fit onto a 60 penny (60d) nails, and are available in 9 highly visible colors.

45 minutes ago, Arthur D. said:

I'd like to reply to a couple of members who have responded to my story of the "Mystery Bristle Brush"!  First to "Bison", your response/comments made sense, I liked that you're being SERIOUS about what I experienced, HOWEVER,  I saw it on my walk, couldn't understand what it was, I did try to pull it up out of the ground, But couldn't make it even budge!  All sounds good EXCEPT for, I walked away from it, a total of no more than a few feet, turned back to look at it(within seconds) and IT WAS GONE!  There was No One around at the time I was walking..  Where did it go???

Now a response to Miss Jatti, who also may be trying to make sense of my story!  You know what, "I've thought that myself"?  But what would make me have an Hallucination "out of nowhere?" And for no reason..  I have never ever had an hallucination before, I mean I know I might have said in the past a statement like, "Well I thought I saw something, but I'm not sure.."  BUT, this was about 10:00 am.  I don't drink or use anything at that time of the day, I may have a beer or 2 in the afternoon after a long day or work, but then I have dinner and go to bed and start over the next day..  No!  This was not any type of Hallucination, because this was actually physical and not just a visual experience!  

I will be taking with me my camera from now on, when I go for my walks..  !!!!

You are right in that the marking bristles explanation does not make sense unless you ignore the sudden disappearance part of the story. How certain are you that you returned to the exact same place?

And the 'hallucination' explanation is just not in keeping with your self-understanding. It is never impossible but very highly doubtful from what you are saying.

As I said: Then on the paranormal or alien front, anything is possible at that point.

The seeming very rapid disappearance of the bristles bothered me, too. Was there anything, other than the bristles, to distinguish the particular spot where they were seen, then not seen? If not, it's possible that the distance back was underestimated, and so, the bristles were not seen. By the next day's inspection, there had been plenty of time for someone to have removed them. 

A few thoughts come to mind. What was the size and shape of the area from which the bristles actually protruded from the ground? If quite small, this would tend to support the survey marker possibility. Also, the way these whisker markers are constructed, there might be a visible division between the two halves of the bristles, on either side of the bracket for the anchoring spike. Was anything of this sort discerned?

Supposing this was part of a land survey along the course of the rail line, it might be worth walking farther than the usual one mile, to see if any more of the bristles turn up.  

I wouldn't rule out any possibility entirely, but it this was something along the lines of a buried ET probe with protruding, retractable sensors and/or antennae, it's interesting that it looks so much like a mundane object. Who knows, perhaps that resemblance could even be intentional camouflage! ;)   

Edited by bison
added information

To Pallidin, Papa George 1, and Bison,

I want to respond to everyone regarding the "Mystery Bristle Brush"!  I'd like to comment on everyone's statements(probably not in order) But I will respond!

I have walked this same path, for the last 20 years or so, give or take!  The walk is just for my health, I prefer walking by/along the train track verses "the People"s walking path" because the Train Path is much "more natural/rough" almost like hiking out in the country, rather than a man made path which is smooth and straight! I get more of an exercise on the train track path!  "it's the same path for the last 20 years"!  For 20 years, I've seen the same things! The same bushes, trees, GARBAGE,(people who live adjacent to the tracks use the train track side as their private DUMP)..  It's a shame!  So, "nothings new there"!!  So now, a few weeks ago when I saw this thing, "it stood out like a soar Thumb", and it was like as if, "a Soar Thumb was sticking out of the ground"!  "The Area" where I saw "it" is a bit wider than some of the other areas along the tracks. It's an area that has some very old Pecan trees growing.. AND, I have picked Pecans off these trees for the last 20 years(same path, same trees).. Well, it was either this time or the time before that I walked the same path, that I noticed, they had cut down and removed one of the Pecan trees, which kind of bothered me. That area has about  16 feet between the tracks and the back wall to an apartment complex, while most other areas have maybe 10 ft. or so(it varies)..

The "Whisker markers", does make me THINK a bit ?  However, please tell me what you think these Whiskers would look like sticking out of the ground.. Because what I saw(and I can't forget), was a dark pink color about 2 inches from ground up, and the above that was about 4 or 5 inches of a "dusty looking opaque/whitish" color, which formed a I'd say, almost a perfect looking "Flower shaped/water fountain"  looking fibers, that I seem to recall, "that I've seen in some type of a "SNOW GLOBE"!  OR maybe, I've seen something like it in some "specialty music store where they sold fiber Optic" boxes to connect to a CD player so not only would you hear the music, but the music would cause a reaction to these FIBERS that were in a type of plastic box!  The music would make the fibers light up and Glow!  It looked like that(that's if you've seen something like that before?

So how would the "Whisker markers look like that are in the pictures"!  I mean, How would they look if they were in the ground ? Would they look like a Perfect shape of a flower? Would they resemble a "Water Fountain" that we've all seen in Vegas or any where else?  A perfect shaped looking FLOWER or Water fountain??   And ask yourselves, to those that have seen the Whisker markers before along some tracks or where ever, Do the Whisker markers look like a perfect shape of an open Flower??

I know what this sounds like(I know what I sound like)..  It sounds like something out of the "X Files"!  OR, it sounds like something that's out of a Steven King's book!  BUT, I have to say..  I did not want to see this.. I don't like, and I have never liked ATTENTION!!  I'm a "low key" type of individual!  I don't like going to parties for these reasons.  I do however, want to tell as many people as I can, ONLY BECAUSE, I'm not afraid of telling the Truth!!  I saw what I saw, and then, seconds later, SECONDS LATER, it wasn't there!  Again, "It stuck out like a Soar Thumb"!  By that I mean, "it was sooo obviously there, and then it wasn't? And, just to make sure, I went back the next day, same tracks, same path, same everything(except for one missing Pecan tree).  Twenty Years of the same ole thing!  I will never go on my walk again WITHOUT my camera!!  Sorry for my Raddleing!!!

6 minutes ago, Arthur D. said:

I want to respond to everyone regarding the "Mystery Bristle Brush"!  I'd like to comment on everyone's statements(probably not in order) But I will respond!

I have walked this same path, for the last 20 years or so, give or take!  The walk is just for my health, I prefer walking by/along the train track verses "the People"s walking path" because the Train Path is much "more natural/rough" almost like hiking out in the country, rather than a man made path which is smooth and straight! I get more of an exercise on the train track path!  "it's the same path for the last 20 years"!  For 20 years, I've seen the same things! The same bushes, trees, GARBAGE,(people who live adjacent to the tracks use the train track side as their private DUMP)..  It's a shame!  So, "nothings new there"!!  So now, a few weeks ago when I saw this thing, "it stood out like a soar Thumb", and it was like as if, "a Soar Thumb was sticking out of the ground"!  "The Area" where I saw "it" is a bit wider than some of the other areas along the tracks. It's an area that has some very old Pecan trees growing.. AND, I have picked Pecans off these trees for the last 20 years(same path, same trees).. Well, it was either this time or the time before that I walked the same path, that I noticed, they had cut down and removed one of the Pecan trees, which kind of bothered me. That area has about  16 feet between the tracks and the back wall to an apartment complex, while most other areas have maybe 10 ft. or so(it varies)..

The "Whisker markers", does make me THINK a bit ?  However, please tell me what you think these Whiskers would look like sticking out of the ground.. Because what I saw(and I can't forget), was a dark pink color about 2 inches from ground up, and the above that was about 4 or 5 inches of a "dusty looking opaque/whitish" color, which formed a I'd say, almost a perfect looking "Flower shaped/water fountain"  looking fibers, that I seem to recall, "that I've seen in some type of a "SNOW GLOBE"!  OR maybe, I've seen something like it in some "specialty music store where they sold fiber Optic" boxes to connect to a CD player so not only would you hear the music, but the music would cause a reaction to these FIBERS that were in a type of plastic box!  The music would make the fibers light up and Glow!  It looked like that(that's if you've seen something like that before?

So how would the "Whisker markers look like that are in the pictures"!  I mean, How would they look if they were in the ground ? Would they look like a Perfect shape of a flower? Would they resemble a "Water Fountain" that we've all seen in Vegas or any where else?  A perfect shaped looking FLOWER or Water fountain??   And ask yourselves, to those that have seen the Whisker markers before along some tracks or where ever, Do the Whisker markers look like a perfect shape of an open Flower??

I know what this sounds like(I know what I sound like)..  It sounds like something out of the "X Files"!  OR, it sounds like something that's out of a Steven King's book!  BUT, I have to say..  I did not want to see this.. I don't like, and I have never liked ATTENTION!!  I'm a "low key" type of individual!  I don't like going to parties for these reasons.  I do however, want to tell as many people as I can, ONLY BECAUSE, I'm not afraid of telling the Truth!!  I saw what I saw, and then, seconds later, SECONDS LATER, it wasn't there!  Again, "It stuck out like a Soar Thumb"!  By that I mean, "it was sooo obviously there, and then it wasn't? And, just to make sure, I went back the next day, same tracks, same path, same everything(except for one missing Pecan tree).  Twenty Years of the same ole thing!  I will never go on my walk again WITHOUT my camera!!  Sorry for my Raddleing!!!

OK, thanks for the details, I feel rather strongly now that this mystery is still a mystery.

Without any other mysterious events or clues, I just don't know what to say. I was hoping this would remind someone of something in the paranormal or alien lore, but no one has responded with any ideas on that front either.

Frustrating to not know!

"I Know"..  On that Day I saw it..  I absolutely know, I definitely walked away from it by only a few feet, only a few seconds. And then,(and maybe you could put yourself in my place), when I walked back a few feet, a few seconds to the spot where I saw it, (WAIT A MINUTE), "first I turned to look back at" scratching my head, and when I didn't see it from a few feet away, I then walked back just seconds and nothing..  You can probably understand HOW I FELT? This thing was so visible, I'd only walked a few feet??  NO!  It just wasn't there anymore!!  OH well, I know NOW there's things out there that dose'nt make any sense!  I will keep my eyes open from now on!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arthur D. said:

"I Know"..  On that Day I saw it..  I absolutely know, I definitely walked away from it by only a few feet, only a few seconds. And then,(and maybe you could put yourself in my place), when I walked back a few feet, a few seconds to the spot where I saw it, (WAIT A MINUTE), "first I turned to look back at" scratching my head, and when I didn't see it from a few feet away, I then walked back just seconds and nothing..  You can probably understand HOW I FELT? This thing was so visible, I'd only walked a few feet??  NO!  It just wasn't there anymore!!  OH well, I know NOW there's things out there that dose'nt make any sense!  I will keep my eyes open from now on!

Image result for elemental nature spirits

Time to consider outside-the-box.

Let me throw out one beyond the normal possibility. The work of Nature Spirits.

(now don't anyone dare say I am claiming that is what it IS)

I don't think she would have tolerated being pulled on and grabbed :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

The work of Nature Spirits.

This website is a complete gem of misinformation.....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Piney said:

This website is a complete gem of misinformation.....

But look how sparkly the pic is.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Image result for elemental nature spirits

Time to consider outside-the-box.

Let me throw out one beyond the normal possibility. The work of Nature Spirits.

(now don't anyone dare say I am claiming that is what it IS)

Oh my. I guess according to the descriptions on that site... Arthur was tugging on a gnomes hair? That's an entertaining notion.

Well, had it been hair, I'm sure "the gnome would be bald now"!!  I pulled so hard, it made my hand hurt afterwards!  Rashore, someday you may see something that just can't be explained, and that you won't believe happened.. At that point, you MAY remember my story.  Because even though "it really happen to me", I still can't believe it myself!! And obviously, "I won't be able to get it out of my mind"!!!

5 minutes ago, Arthur D. said:

Well, had it been hair, I'm sure "the gnome would be bald now"!!  I pulled so hard, it made my hand hurt afterwards!  Rashore, someday you may see something that just can't be explained, and that you won't believe happened.. At that point, you MAY remember my story.  Because even though "it really happen to me", I still can't believe it myself!! And obviously, "I won't be able to get it out of my mind"!!!

Ah, I didn't make any comment about your story... just thought the link Papa provided with the notion that it could have been a gnome getting his hair tugged like a carrot being pulled out of the ground was entertaining to me. If your experience was something paranormal, I highly doubt it was a gnome with his hair sticking out of the ground.

3 hours ago, rashore said:

Oh my. I guess according to the descriptions on that site... Arthur was tugging on a gnomes hair? That's an entertaining notion.

Haha........There are no paranormal or alien explanations for this story that would not get scoffed at with jokes. The point @Arthur D. defends well is that no normal explanation makes sense either! 

And where did old Papa suggest it was gnomes hair? But at least old pops has a healthy sense of humor too. I was more thinking of a creation of an elemental or nature spirit and not necessarily a gnome either. 

Edited by papageorge1

19 hours ago, Arthur D. said:

Your top descrition freaked me out because it reminded me of a time when I was a kid and I saw something come out of some brush and wave. It was like a fern leaf shape but my first thought was white flowers. It was in the middle of a meadow so there was good visibility all around it. Me and my friend went to see what it was but nothing was around there at all. She just started talking about how she thought it was her dead granda waving and dismissed it. Always wondered what it really was.

• Like 3

Hey  NicoletteS,

"You saw something that was unexplainable, in the middle of an open meadow so there was good visibility all around".. You and Your friend went to see what it was BUT, nothing was around there at all! 

What I saw was in an "overall area of probably around/maybe close to a total of 50 - 60 feet"..  The exact spot was on the right side of the train tracks which had a space of approx. 16' between the tracks and a back wall of a apartment complex, but if you crossed over the tracks and walked to the other side of the "train track area" it would be a total of approx. 60 ft.  and totally wide open, flat ground, nothing to block any view of what was around!! And there was absolutely NOBODY close to or around that area except for me.  And again, I saw it, I pulled at it, I walked away from it a few feet only, I couldn't help from looking back at it(cause this thing was sooo out of place), and when I turned to look at it, seconds after pulling on it, it just wasn't there!  I walked back to where it had to have been, a mere 8 seconds back?  And Nothing!!  At that point I had to go home, "What the Hell"??  I started to rationalize the situation, and told myself, "I must not have walked back far enough"!  But again, it was in a wide open area, flat ground, in an area on the side of the tracks where this is NO vegetation(because of the loose gravel)!  It's been about 3 weeks to a month ago that I saw this thing..  And I can definitely say, "I will always wonder, for the rest of my life, what I actually saw"!!

Arthur if you think we are denying your experience you have not read threads where the sceptics came in to rip it up. I have seen plenty of things I don't even bother to try to tell others about. Been at this for decades, as have others here. I write in my blog here about some but the vast majority goes no further than what I know except to a few special friends of like minds in private messages sometimes. It is irrelevant to me who believes or doesn't, or how many think I am insane, while they talk about me they give someone else a break. You seem a bit defensive and I don't see anyone here arguing with you nor giving you a hard time. You know what you saw. We don't. Sometimes that is as good as it gets.

Just because I did not see anything like yours says nothing, but it IS why I am not trying to suggest what it may have been. I have no idea. Probably no one ever will, even if they saw one too. I have been through a time slip with a witness and nobody will ever believe stuff like that so why even bother? Also ate lunch at a restaurant with the very jovial owner and he welcomed me to this area and talked about a lot of things, and I never ever had any reason to question it though the place did seem awful sparse. It had just enough equipment to manage the meal and kind of lucky I was the only patron. But, he was a wonderful fellow and I resolved to come back soon as I finished the move.

Imagine my surprise to find the place obviously closed down for months and months when I went back the next week, and when I asked around people assumed I knew him from before and I never corrected them, but the man who fed me that day had been dead for almost a year then. I had never been to that town before, saw the place on my first visit when I wanted lunch. How do you explain that? How do you prove it? You don't. It just is what it is. His daughter runs his other place, that remains open, and I walk in there and wink at his picture on the wall. One of my first friends here. 

I miss him.

• Thanks 1

Hey Not a Rock Star,

I appreciate your response!  If you feel like "you hear me being a BIT defensive" in what I have "been writing", it's partly I'm sure, "due to a lack of being able to interpret how I feel between writing and actually communicating orally or verbally" ?  You see , if I had explained everything to you in person, you would see "that I'm not in anyway being Defensive"! But just trying to tell the story of what I experienced.. And Like You and so many others, I experienced something that I can't explain, and that's it!!  It's a story that really happened, But, to me Only!  So, I don't expect EVERYONE to really get into my story.. I don't want to let this become a story about, "ME"!!  Please, everyone, "leave Me out of this story"!  I'm just the Messenger!  I don't want to make anybody upset or bother anyone!!  So please trust me(since you can't see my facial expressions) that I am not being Defensive or argumentative.. That's for other people who like DRAMA!  I stay away from those type of individuals! 

I did read your what you wrote about a story of what you experienced!  And the only thing I can take away from what I read, other than the story itself, "Is that you sounded real serious and truthful"!  I did feel that!  I hope that you gained something from it other than some type of downward spiral in life! 

I do understand, and I've said this before, that there are things out there we can't explain!  I will always be AN OPEN EAR, to anyone who has a TRUE story that they can't explain!

• Like 1