Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Weird death

DraconicInvestigator

Okay this is one I found was strange, not by who killed him, but how exactly he died. This happened in the town that I lived in and I remember seeing it on the news when it happened

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/newsx/local-news/99676-city-group-home-murder-prompts-lawsuit-812

The victim was 27 years old, the person who did it was 20.

How would having someone's legs around your neck for 10+ minutes kill you? Some people may think it would kill you by suffocating you by blocking your airway but according to new science (including ScienceDirect and Dr. Daniel Ruebens) we breathe through our ears, and without our ears, we'd suffocate and die. So the death could not have been suffocation since there's no mention of the victim's ears being plugged up. I can't get a hold of the autopsy report anywhere.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, DraconicInvestigator said:

How would having someone's legs around your neck for 10+ minutes kill you? Some people may think it would kill you by suffocating you by blocking your airway but according to new science (including ScienceDirect and Dr. Daniel Ruebens) we breathe through our ears, and without our ears, we'd suffocate and die. So the death could not have been suffocation since there's no mention of the victim's ears being plugged up. I can't get a hold of the autopsy report anywhere.

So all the reports of strangulations are now false? I'm unable to find anything about breathing through our ears.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 6

The only thing I found was the inner ear plays a part in breathing but that's got nothing to do with breathing through our ears.

https://www.today.com/health/provocative-theory-links-inner-ear-damage-sids-deaths-t17451

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

giphy.gif

According to a doctor named Daniel Reubens in 2011, the balance part of our ear is vital for breathing and if it's damaged, even in one ear, it will lead to serious breathing difficulties or death, and concluded that sudden infant death syndrome is caused by inner ear damage at birth and these babies stop breathing even if their lungs etc are 100% healthy.

He did a study on mice, he injected gentamicin into their ears which destroys the vestibular system (balance part) of the ear, then the mice stopped breathing, but the ones with healthy ears continued to breathe like normal. The doctor then concluded from this that we need ears to breathe and sudden infant death syndrome is caused by poor ear health and an ear checkup will save babies lives. 

• Thanks 1

March sustained a fractured larynx and the state medical examiner ruled his death a homicide

easily done with your legs around a person's throat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

http://pulse.seattlechildrens.org/new-sids-research-shows-carbon-dioxide-inner-ear-damage-may-play-important-role/

Has to do with inner ear damage plus co2 and o2 in the environment. As being a cause of SIDS.

Oh thanks for that, I thought the dude was actually arguing that we literally breathe through our ears for a second. :lol:

Lost me totally on how we have SIDS deaths and inner ears involved but this kid died of a fractured larynx. No O2 could get past that and he suffocated.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Oh thanks for that, I thought the dude was actually arguing that we literally breathe through our ears for a second. :lol:

Well he did;

He's saying you can only suffocate if your ears are plugged up.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Well he did;

I thought so. So it is as bad as I thought...

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

• Haha 4

welp I feel totally lost here so am out. Later guys :)

*head phones on, stereo cranked* oblivion bliss.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Well he did;

Well if your ears are damaged you suffocate even if your lungs are working 100% healthy sooo.. 

Just now, DraconicInvestigator said:

Well if your ears are damaged you suffocate even if your lungs are working 100% healthy sooo.. 

I'm almost deaf in my right ear and I wear ear plugs.....I guess I'm a zombie.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I'm almost deaf in my right ear and I wear ear plugs.....I guess I'm a zombie.

According to Dr Daniel Rubens, at least. 

4 minutes ago, DraconicInvestigator said:

According to Dr Daniel Rubens, at least. 

No. Only according to your misinterpretation of what he wrote. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DraconicInvestigator said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

No. Only according to your misinterpretation of what he wrote. 

I didn't mis interpret anything. I first read it in 2011 and searched to try and see if it was an april fool's joke

1 hour ago, DraconicInvestigator said:

Actually it doesn't even say that. It says a damaged inner ear affects the sense of balance which can lead to SIDS. Soo..

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Goddess of the Mist said:

Ever watch UFC?  He choked him out.  

But how does that kill you?

8 hours ago, DraconicInvestigator said:

But how does that kill you?

read up on crushed larynxes and the carotid arteries in your neck and that will give you a clue.

8 minutes ago, DraconicInvestigator said:

So apparently NO ONE KNOWS how this person died... 

Apparently you don't read your own links, he died from strangulation. Not A Rockstar quoted he had a fractured larynx.

Just now, Rlyeh said:

Apparently you don't read your own links, he died from strangulation. Not A Rockstar quoted he had a fractured larynx.

And how does strangulation kill you?

Mystery continues!

• Haha 1