Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

MUDs

danydandan

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with MUDs? Is it worth getting into?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danydandan

• travelnjones

• rashore

• LV-426

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean by MUDs? Years ago there was MUDs that were online text based gaming. Not sure if that's what you mean or not.

1 hour ago, rashore said:

What do you mean by MUDs? Years ago there was MUDs that were online text based gaming. Not sure if that's what you mean or not.

Yeap that's what I meant, there still appears to be a community of it the MUD connector seems to still be active.

Huh, go figure. Yeah, it was kind of fun. A cross between a chat room and playing Zork.

I suppose it's just online DoD ?

I have tried them back in the days of Bulletin Board Systems.  I don't really know why you would try that over something like Warcraft in this day and age.   Modern MMO's offer larger player base and better interface. 

But seriously no video game is going to offer you anything near the pen and paper experience.  

2 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I suppose it's just online DoD ?

Even D&D Online isn't online D&D.  its closer than anything else, but nothing beats a DM crafting a story around the actions of the players.  Epic battles of minis and dice.  The comradely joy when a dragon is slain and it's horde looted.  Find your self a DM, or better yet become one!  Gather your cohorts and do battle in the nerdly arena.  

I just have issues with MMOs. I've never played them I prefer RPG games like the Elder Scrolls and Kingdom Come Deliverance.

The MUDs I played years ago were rather D&D. Wizards and warriors tromping around on adventures. Late 90's or so? One of the gals I worked with had access to the computers at the local university and we would play for a couple hours after work sometimes.

I enjoyed Zork a lot, chat rooms at the time were ok. The mash up of the two was fun for a text based experience. Very different from video games with graphics and very different from the personal DM gaming experience.

2 minutes ago, rashore said:

The MUDs I played years ago were rather D&D. Wizards and warriors tromping around on adventures. Late 90's or so? One of the gals I worked with had access to the computers at the local university and we would play for a couple hours after work sometimes.

I enjoyed Zork a lot, chat rooms at the time were ok. The mash up of the two was fun for a text based experience. Very different from video games with graphics and very different from the personal DM gaming experience.

I think I'm going to give it a shot see how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/05/2018 at 9:20 PM, danydandan said:

I just have issues with MMOs. I've never played them I prefer RPG games like the Elder Scrolls and Kingdom Come Deliverance.

To be honest there isn't much "RPG" in MMORPGs these days.

Old school games, such as Ultima Online, had great communities with lots of imagination and decent people.

These days MMOs are generally cesspits of elitists, potty-mouthed kids (and adults) plus scammers and griefers. There are still a few decent folk around, but in the last few MMOs I've played, they're usually playing solo to avoid the aforementioned, or part of closed guilds with family and friends.