Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Police Guide From ‘Satanic Panic’ Era Found

rashore

On 7/25/2018 at 11:29 PM, Farmer77 said:

My family being religious extremists were all caught up in the satanic panic. I was a kid at the time and ill never forget hiding my star wars figures because our preacher had instructed the congregation to destroy their kids star wars memorabilia due to "the force" being a gateway to Satanism or some crap. 

Yeah, all my records got smashed one day and I had to listen to some preacher's sermon where he played everything backwards. 

I worked my butt off doing chores so I could earn the money to buy those records. 

• Sad 2

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:21 PM, Michelle said:

Well then, in my fifty something years in the south, I've only known about ten of the other kind of Christians. :P

They are all over here, wearing long skirts and never cutting their hair (the women). The progressives close in the same views, do cut their hair and sometimes wear pants :/ 

It is heavy down here. But, they generally all stay to their own little groups and leave the rest of us to fend for ourselves, thankfully. Catholics seem downright decadent around here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GlitterRose said:

Yeah, all my records got smashed one day and I had to listen to some preacher's sermon where he played everything backwards. 

I worked my butt off doing chores so I could earn the money to buy those records. 

Yeah I lost my records in a burning as well :( in the 70's. Stuff like that scars you for life.

For the few coming along who doubt booklets for cops against Satanism existed, they did exist. When I was a cop the big panic was over things like Paganism and wicca and voodoo. There was even this woman who travelled and gave seminars (for a nice chunk of change) for departments to send cops to to learn about the evils of religions like candomble, Santo and Vodou. I spoke up about it and in the end under it all this issue became a factor in my decision to retire when I did. I was not a part of the so-called "brotherhood" after speaking my mind and could not take such ignorance at my back. There is real fear under it all, which was absurd, because this wicked, twisted, demonic Vodou high priest would have died for the worst of them had we come under attack. Yet I could trust them to lie, cheat, or do anything possible to eff me over after the big blow up over this religious woman and her seminars and the stupid stuff I was hearing. It is flat not safe to work in a job like that with no one at your back. 

You got to pity them, but also never underestimate the power of a pack of ignorants. They can get you killed and praise their god afterwards same as ISIS. I avoid any sort of fundie 

• Like 6

On 7/26/2018 at 2:24 AM, Farmer77 said:

Dude Maylyn Manson would have been burned at the stake in the 1980's :lol:

Pft. He's just Alice Cooper for a new generation. Can't remember the name but I know at least one 80's band used to have simulated satanic rituals as part of their stage show.

9 hours ago, davros of skaro said:

Bill Cosby from The Devil And Max Devlin. how ironic.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Oniomancer said:

Pft. He's just Alice Cooper for a new generation. Can't remember the name but I know at least one 80's band used to have simulated satanic rituals as part of their stage show.

Bill Cosby from The Devil And Max Devlin. how ironic.

Funny thing about that film Reggie Nadler, who played the actual Devil (and was known for playing vampires previously because of his gaunt disfigured face) absolutely hated Bill Cosby's guts.

Yes, I played the Devil. I went out to the Disney studio and read for that one. Once again I had few lines to say. I hated working with Bill Cosby. He is a pig. I first met him in Rome where I did an episode of I Spy. Bill Cosby is rude, arrogant and very untalented. He walked right by me on the set as if I were a piece of furniture. I tried to be polite but he made it impossible. I have rarely ever worked with someone like him before or since.

http://www.kinoeye.org/03/02/delvalle02.php

(For reference, Nadler's role is seen towards the bottom here)

http://the-haunted-closet.blogspot.com/2011/11/disney-goes-to-hell.html

• Like 2

By the way anyone interested in the subject of "moral panics" I recommend the book No Crueler Tyranny about the frenzy of child molestation accusations from around the same time period.

https://www.amazon.com/No-Crueler-Tyrannies-Accusation-Witness-ebook/dp/B000FC0SAK/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1533594766&sr=1-1&keywords=no+crueler+tyrannies

• Like 3

On 7/25/2018 at 11:24 PM, Farmer77 said:

Dude Maylyn Manson would have been burned at the stake in the 1980's :lol:

Maybe they give rock stars a pass, but they sure put away that one kid for a loooooong time...

for wearing black nail polish or something.

Sure he behaved like a little punk ***, but they didn't have any proof he was involved in murder, and yet him and his buddies all went to prison for years.

They just finally got them out recently. Of course, it was all bs. It's unbelievable that they were able to do what they did to those kids. 

Edited by GlitterRose
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Kota said:

I don’t even know if the satanic panic was a thing where I’m from

I didn't arrive in New Zealand until the 90's so I can't say. New Zealand was quite different culturally there to Australia.

The satanic panic was viewed more as a joke in Australia though, no book burning, and Satanism so where really just today's Goths.

These days they are far more similar though. New Zealand is still the gentle cousin in comparison but the media culture is more similar. 

Perhaps ask your parents if they remember when Judas Priest were taken to court or when you could apparently play a vinyl records backwards and supposedly hear messages to and from the Devil. 

• Like 3

Recently I learned that there are more than 1,000 satanic organizations in America and it's sad. They just secretly conduct rituals and it seems that there is no danger.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Coil said:

Recently I learned that there are more than 1,000 satanic organizations in America and it's sad. They just secretly conduct rituals and it seems that there is no danger.

All I know is that when we were fund raising after Katrina in a Pagan EMS organization, Satanist donated thousands of dollars to help people, as they knew we were going in personally to help, directly, no middle man, nobody making a paycheck from it. I have never, as a cop, had anything negative to say or experience with Satanists. They stay to themselves and I cannot blame them for that, but if you knock on their door they answer in trouble. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
On 8/15/2018 at 3:50 AM, Not A Rockstar said:

All I know is that when we were fund raising after Katrina in a Pagan EMS organization, Satanist donated thousands of dollars to help people, as they knew we were going in personally to help, directly, no middle man, nobody making a paycheck from it. I have never, as a cop, had anything negative to say or experience with Satanists. They stay to themselves and I cannot blame them for that, but if you knock on their door they answer in trouble. 

That is so interesting!

A few years ago I came across Laveyan Satanism and read their 10 (I think its 10?) commandments and some of their principles out of curiosity. From what I understand, they don't actually worship the devil, but rather use it as imagery and symbolism for their philosophies and, in a way, to differentiate themselves completely from Christianity. And most of their principles are about respecting other's privacy/personal choices, not invading their space and being nice to others especially children and animals, so I thought that was pretty cool! The only thing that can be off-putting is their last commandment, about how if someone is to bother them, they should 'destroy' them...

Either way I thought it was super interesting, because I had always imagined Satanism as sacrificing/dark/ritualistic but for this specific branch of the religion, it doesn't seem to be so... 

• Like 1

No religion is a lick better than the person practicing it. No worse either. That is really the point to this old thread, I think.

• Like 2

Even the "New Agers" joined in with this panic.  I remember my friends meditation group got hijacked a few days before halloween because someone wanted to fight the "satainsts" psychically and decided the meditation group could help.  I happened not to go that night but heard all about it the next day. 

I remember the panic over people listening to black metal in the 90s that and role playing games, computer games and horror movies made some political correct people go bat s.h.i.t  crazy over it. It was really laughable. One of my friends was into black metal and loved Dark throne.

Edited by Impedancer

Remember folks, pagan means - People Again Goodness and Niceness.

• Haha 1