Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New $10 million SETI Program

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Ooops.  Wrong video above, although worth watching.  I think this is the one I meant to post.

Viewed the video. I don't find it a very convincing case for the stated conclusion that 'We are alone in the galaxy'. The elements necessary for life are widely dispersed in the galaxy, due to many supernova explosions, over a long period of time. Supernovas occur in our galaxy at the rate of one or two per century. Their collapsing of stellar nebulae into solar systems should, then, over cosmological time scales, be pretty common. 

Asteroids and comets are numerous in our solar system. It is reasonable that this is so in other star systems, as well. Their impacts with planets is also to be expected. In some instances, like our own, this may promote the rise of more neurally complex forms of life. We have no basis for assuming that this is the only way that more complex forms of life can arise, though. Climatic changes, stellar events , or disease epidemics might have accomplished this in other star  systems.

The sort of climate change that brought our ancestors down from the trees might have occurred sooner or later with similar results. Other factors could have caused the same behavior on other worlds.  Among these: limits of forest habitats carrying capacity reached, due to population pressure, and widespread burning of forests due to volcanic eruptions. 

Prof. Defant ends his talk with reference to the contingent uniqueness of human individuals. Each of our direct ancestors had to pass along his or her genes, in order for each of us to exist. That makes each of us the end result of a great many unlikely, but necessary events, of great variety. 

Just as an individual is the outcome of a very improbable series of past events, given time and opportunity such individual  do exist, and in great numbers. So, I think, do intelligently inhabited star systems in our galaxy, and for essentially the same reasons.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bison said:

Viewed the video. I don't find it a very convincing case for the stated conclusion that 'We are alone in the galaxy'. The elements necessary for life are widely dispersed in the galaxy, due to many supernova explosions, over a long period of time. Supernovas occur in our galaxy at the rate of one or two per century. Their collapsing of stellar nebulae into solar systems should, then, over cosmological time scales, be pretty common. 

Asteroids and comets are numerous in our solar system. It is reasonable that this is so in other star systems, as well. Their impacts with planets is also to be expected. In some instances, like our own, this may promote the rise of more neurally complex forms of life. We have no basis for assuming that this is the only way that more complex forms of life can arise, though. Climatic changes, stellar events , or disease epidemics might have accomplished this in other star  systems.

The sort of climate change that brought our ancestors down from the trees might have occurred sooner or later with similar results. Other factors could have caused the same behavior on other worlds.  Among these: limits of forest habitats carrying capacity reached, due to population pressure, and widespread burning of forests due to volcanic eruptions. 

Prof. Defant ends his talk with reference to the contingent uniqueness of human individuals. Each of our direct ancestors had to pass along his or her genes, in order for each of us to exist. That makes each of us the end result of a great many unlikely, but necessary events, of great variety. 

Just as an individual is the outcome of a very improbable series of past events, given time and opportunity such individual  do exist, and in great numbers. So, I think, do intelligently inhabited star systems in our galaxy, and for essentially the same reasons.  

The underlined I agree with, but that does not mean any intelligent civilization building, space faring life form evolves.  And if they do the likelihood of we and they existing during the same time frame close enough to ever meet is so very improbable that one need not seriously consider it.

5 hours ago, OverSword said:

That's obviously not true. 

Depends on which side of the fence your sitting on.....And how do you know that its not true? 

53 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

Depends on which side of the fence your sitting on.....And how do you know that its not true? 

Humans can write symphonies, contemplate the existence of higher plains, send men to the moon, communicate across the planet instantaneously, fruitlessly search for alien transmissions across the cosmos, identify the sound of the big bang, come up with the big bang theory and many, many other things too long to list and  you - lacking any evidence to the contrary state that we are not intelligent?????  Speak for yourself. 

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

On 12/05/2018 at 4:46 PM, Alien Origins said:

And who says we are intelligent?

that's the kinda question a believer puts forward when they are in deep fantasy mode;)

do you have something to compare us to?

Edited by Dejarma
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

that's the kinda question a believer puts forward when they are in deep fantasy mode;)

Nope...But when I do have something I will post it.

that's the kinda question a believer puts forward when they are in deep fantasy mode

LoL...Yeah I was in that mode.

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Humans can write symphonies, contemplate the existence of higher plains, send men to the moon, communicate across the planet instantaneously, fruitlessly search for alien transmissions across the cosmos, identify the sound of the big bang, come up with the big bang theory and many, many other things too long to list and  you - lacking any evidence to the contrary state that we are not intelligent?????  Speak for yourself. 

Belief is a two way straight...You believe what you want I believe what I want.

Edited by Alien Origins

1 hour ago, Alien Origins said:

Belief is a two way straight...You believe what you want I believe what I want.

So you're sitting in front of a computer a couple of thousand miles away from me and exchanging ideas instantly and you insist humans are unintelligent.  Okay.