Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atlas the robot shows off running skills

Still Waters

The engineering and robotics firm Boston Dynamics released clips of its humanoid robot running through a field and jumping over a log.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-44089636/atlas-the-robot-shows-off-running-skills

Related:

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/313424-boston-dynamics-atlas-robot-does-backflips/?

• Like 5

Well it certainly can't sneak up on you.  That thing is loud.  Just a matter of time before these are on the battlefield.

• Like 1

Could it not just have stepped over the log? Maybe the reaction time means it has to stop and asses the height/distance before it attempts an obstacle. It's coming though, and in time it will be like Colonel Steve Austin. I'd love to see it run in slow motion :D

And I agree with Noxasa, these will be on the battlefield if a contract can be made to mass produce them viably. That's quite a frightening thought but as long as it saves losing men (and it's on 'our' side of course) ;)

2 minutes ago, Stiff said:

That's quite a frightening thought

"Knock, Knock!"

ezgif_com_crop__2__by_lunaticwitch-d9qjc

Yeah I can just imagine the terror that something like this would induce in someone. A single minded killing machine. No remorse, no conscious. An army of them would definitely reset the stage. Even if such a machine was remote "piloted". That might be enough to change people's minds.

• Like 3

What makes anybody think these will only be good ol' American robots confined to a battlefield somewhere fighting "bad guys"?   Great for crowd control and intimidation in any circumstance.  I wonder what 2nd Amendment supporters think about a future with these guys in them?  It makes assault rifles look like pea shooters.  Not good odds going up against a tyrannical government with these things ready to deploy.  Will open carry evolve into having your own killer robot bodyguard with you at all times? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As long as there is an advanced, impossible to over-ride, fail-safe "Off" switch of some type, I'm good.

Edited by pallidin

3 minutes ago, pallidin said:

As long as there is an advanced, impossible to over-ride, fail-safe "Off" switch of some type, I'm good.

Rest assured, there WILL be, Pallidin. 

And it will be in the hands of a Responsible Government Official. 

So that's all OK then ? :D 

:unsure2: 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Battery life is certainly a limiting factor and even if armor plated, it seems like an entangling weapon like a bolas could slow it down considerably. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sundew said:

Battery life is certainly a limiting factor and even if armor plated, it seems like an entangling weapon like a bolas could slow it down considerably. 

Maybe they can be developed to process organic matter, corpses for example.    Good luck with that bolas, you might only get one try.

Yeah, but this robot, in a corset and stockings? Beckoning you up the saloon stairs? Prioritize the Westworld types, surely.

• Haha 1