Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Permission To Change Diaper?

susieice

I never heard anything like this before in my life! No mommy. I like swimming in my own excrement. You do not have my permission. People need to stop acting like they know how to think. On second thought, this should be in the weird and bizzare forum.

http://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/2018/05/11/sexuality-educator-mocked-for-saying-parents-should-ask-babies-for-consent-to-change-diapers.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/did-educator-say-ask-babies-permission/

Nah, it's cut out of context. 

Yes, just about how to set up a culture of consent in their homes so “I’m going to change your nappy now, is that OK?” Of course a baby is not going to respond “yes, mum, that’s awesome, I’d love to have my nappy changed.”

But if you leave a space and wait for body language and wait to make eye contact then you’re letting that child know that their response matters.

Still a bit sniffy, but the idea is positive reinforcement starting at an early age. 

Think the idea is more to train the parents than the kid really. 

• Like 3

I surely hope no one is taking this seriously. Young children can't be left in a tub alone either. They aren't able to run water, take a bath and get out on their own. That's called child neglect and people are arrested when they do that and something happens. Two year olds are famous for saying no. Or is this woman trying to accuse all parents of child molestation if they change and bathe their kids now? What body language? Sounds more to me like diaper rash!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, susieice said:

I surely hope no one is taking this seriously. Young children can't be left in a tub alone either. They aren't able to run water, take a bath and get out on their own. That's called child neglect and people are arrested when they do that and something happens. Two year olds are famous for saying no. Or is this woman trying to accuse all parents of child molestation if they change and bathe their kids now? What body language? Sounds more to me like diaper rash!

Read my link. No, she is not. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

Read my link. No, she is not. 

You're link is the same thing that's in mine. How does this woman expect a baby to communicate complex ideas? Most adults are lucky if they remember anything before the age of 3-4 years old. After that, you may be able to start teaching them, but it's a parent's responsibility to keep an infant clean and free from rashes. I'm glad my kids are out of the raising babies age, but I worry about my grandchildren. 

• Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, susieice said:

You're link is the same thing that's in mine. How does this woman expect a baby to communicate complex ideas? Most adults are lucky if they remember anything before the age of 3-4 years old. After that, you may be able to start teaching them, but it's a parent's responsibility to keep an infant clean and free from rashes. I'm glad my kids are out of the raising babies age, but I worry about my grandchildren. 

She doesn't.

WHAT'S TRUE

Sexuality educator Deanne Carson said parents could ask children if it is okay to change their diapers to teach them "their response matters," noting that it is not actually possible for babies to consent to a diaper change.

WHAT'S FALSE

Carson did not say infants were able to or parents were required to receive consent for diaper changes; Carson did not say infants who refused consent should remain in dirty diapers.

• Like 2

Not all people, but a very special little yellow bus group of individuals are...well....idiots.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

At least enough people had enough sense to call her out on this.

• Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, susieice said:

At least enough people had enough sense to call her out on this.

I'm cursos. She specifically states in the full quite that she doesn't expect children to be able to given consent or relate complex ideas. 

So how are you getting from my link that she is expecting them to give consent or complex ideas? 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

I'm cursos. She specifically states in the full quite that she doesn't expect children to be able to given consent or relate complex ideas. 

So how are you getting from my link that she is expecting them to give consent or complex ideas? 

I said my link says the same thing as yours. She's looking for body language, from a 3 mo old? The notion that any child under the age of at least 3 would be capable of making any kind of a decision regarding it's well-being is absurd to even bring up.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, susieice said:

I said my link says the same thing as yours. She's looking for body language, from a 3 mo old? The notion that any child under the age of at least 3 would be capable of making any kind of a decision regarding it's well-being is absurd to even bring up.

They aren't. Read again. You aren't getting body language from the baby. The point is body language from the parent to the baby. 

And yes, I've handled newborns and toddlers. They don't know what you are saying. But they do know when they are being paid attention to. 

That is what she is talking about establishing. 

• Like 2

From your link:

Yes, just about how to set up a culture of consent in their homes so “I’m going to change your nappy now, is that OK?” Of course a baby is not going to respond “yes, mum, that’s awesome, I’d love to have my nappy changed.”

But if you leave a space and wait for body language and wait to make eye contact then you’re letting that child know that their response matters.

Wait for body language and make eye contact so the child knows their response matters! What nonsense! This isn't even worthy of debate.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

Because people would rather be outraged over what they THINK she is saying vs what she actually said. Welcome to 2018. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, susieice said:

From your link:

Yeahp. So as acknowledged babies aren't able to comprehend complex things. Neither is your dog. Babies and dogs do make associations. 

1 minute ago, susieice said:

Wait for body language and make eye contact so the child knows their response matters! What nonsense! This isn't even worthy of debate.

When you are changing a diaper, do you just brusquely grab the child, ignore it and wipe and repackage it? 

Or are you calmly talking to it, cooing, listening to it as you do. 

Put of curiosity again, do you think that infants don't notice the body language of their parent and respond to it?

Doesn't match my experience. 

• Like 1

This is just absurd! My kids were raised better than to act like this. What does this have with the quote from YOUR link? Do you wish to start accusing everyone to this point of bad parenting? 

1 minute ago, ShadowSot said:

Yeahp. So as acknowledged babies aren't able to comprehend complex things. Neither is your dog. Babies and dogs do make associations. 

When you are changing a diaper, do you just brusquely grab the child, ignore it and wipe and repackage it? 

Or are you calmly talking to it, cooing, listening to it as you do. 

Put of curiosity again, do you think that infants don't notice the body language of their parent and respond to it?

Doesn't match my experience. 

Edited by susieice

Three times a parent and seven times a grandparent. 

LAIM

Sexuality educator Deanne Carson said parents should ask a baby's permission before changing their diaper.

RATING

rating-mostly-false.png MOSTLY FALSE

WHAT'S TRUE

Sexuality educator Deanne Carson said parents could ask children if it is okay to change their diapers to teach them "their response matters," noting that it is not actually possible for babies to consent to a diaper change.

Again, a sexuality educator! I ask again...what body language or response is she expecting. A small child is not aware of their own sexuality. She, on the other hand, seems a little obsessed.

Edited by susieice

3 minutes ago, susieice said:

This is just absurd! My kids were raised better than to act like this.

... What? You've lost me. 

What does this have with the quote from YOUR link?

Do you agree then than infants and babies and toddlers still in diapers recognize their parents body language and react to it?

Yes? Good. 

That's her point. She's not in any shape or form implying that the kid needs to give consent. She's giving an example of talking to the baby when your going to do something with it. 

Do you wish to start accusing everyone to this point of bad parenting? 

Nope. I'm pretty sure most parents something along the lines of "ooh who has a stinky diaper then, somebody needs a change." 

Pretty sure I'm not that weird. 

From what she said. 

1. The kid doesn't understand what you've said. 

2. The kid can't react exactly to what you said. 

3. Talk to you baby anyway. Watch to see it react. 

4. Carry on with the diaper change anyway. 

Babies react to you talking to them. They react to you handling them. They don't understand what you are saying or doing to them, but they do react to it. 

• Like 2

I can't wait to see if Pediatricians have something to say about this.

2 minutes ago, susieice said:

Three times a parent and seven times a grandparent. 

LAIM

Sexuality educator Deanne Carson said parents should ask a baby's permission before changing their diaper.

RATING

rating-mostly-false.png MOSTLY FALSE

WHAT'S TRUE

Again, a sexuality educator! I ask again...what body language or response is she expecting. A small child is not aware of their own sexuality. She, on the other hand, seems a little obsessed.

OK, what does "noting it is not possible for babies to consent to a diaper change" mean to you? 

To me it's pretty clear she's not expecting there to be any meaningful reaction other than the baby noticing it's being paid attention to. 

Most of this is common sense. Of course parents talk to their babies, all day long! This whole subject is absurd. Some sexuality expert doesn't need to be teaching parents how to give baths and change diapers. She would have done much better to stick to an older subject. Why is she even relating sexuality to this?

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, susieice said:

Most of this is common sense. Of course parents talk to their babies, all day long! This whole subject is absurd. 

Yes. Jumping on this line and taking it out of context and writing long blog and news articles about what is really a simple and straight forward thing is absurd. 

• Like 2

You're just baiting. Goodbye.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked