Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could a multiverse be hospitable to life?

Still Waters

A Multiverse—where our Universe is only one of many—might not be as inhospitable to life as previously thought, according to new research.

Questions about whether other universes might exist as part of a larger Multiverse, and if they could harbour life, are burning issues in modern cosmology.

Now new research led by Durham University, UK, and Australia's University of Sydney, Western Sydney University and the University of Western Australia, has shown that life could potentially be common throughout the Multiverse, if it exists.

The key to this, the researchers say, is dark energy, a mysterious "force" that is accelerating the expansion of the Universe.

https://phys.org/news/2018-05-multiverse-hospitable-life.html

• Like 7

I suppose with a multiverse, so many incredible things are possible... including life specific to dimensions.

• Like 4

Well it stands to reason that there must be something beyond or outside our universe. So other universes in some sort of...inter-universal...

• Like 3

I like this idea of infinite universes. It lends itself to ones imagination. For example, Right at this moment I currently reside in the cork stopper for a bottle of champagne about to be opened on an earth like world by reptilian sentient beings that look like octopuses. And in another universe I seem to be the straw that Jennifer Lawrence just sucked on for the last 15 minutes on her ginormous margarita. Let me tell you that girl can suck at least in that universe. OMG! I am King Kong in another universe.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Do they have evidence of a Multiverse in the first place? Because all I see right now is unprovable speculation. That's not science.

Edited by Brother_Spirit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

...and yet 'Multiverse' action figures continue to sell abysmally in Home Bargains.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brother_Spirit said:

Do they have evidence of a Multiverse in the first place? Because all I see right now is unprovable speculation. That's not science.

There is no evidence. Just mathematics.

• Like 1

Why would a multiverse be inhospitable in the first place? Maybe I missed something because that wouldn't make any sense. A multiverse is multiple universes which would mean more life. I tend to agree with the theory that their are a vast amount of universes and timelines. I do think in the future we will come to that realization. I would put my money on it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Brother_Spirit said:

That is funny!! A Christian asking for evidence.:lol: Yea a multiverse might throw the religions off a bit.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Truthseeker007 said:

Yea a multiverse might throw the religions off a bit.

Not really, if you think about it.

Considering the idea of a from of the Divine that is omnipotent and omnipresent nothing would be strange or contradicting about the idea of a Multiverse. After all if God or the Divine, is worthy of such names/titles then it operates on a scale far, far beyond that of us "mere mortals". In fact I'd say denying the posibility of a Multiverse on the grounds of religion would be blasphemous at the very least in the Abrahamic religions, since I don't think it's quite in accordance with scripture to deny that "Yahweh" could create whatever "he" wants, including a Multiverse.

The part where it would get difficult is if someone believes in a "Sky-Daddy" who sits up in the sky on a cloud and continuously watches everyone to punish and reward them according to their deeds. And even then, an omnipotent form of the Divine could still do that  even on a multiversal scale, after all, if something is everywhere and at any time, it can also observe and act everywhere and at any time at once.   

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Not really, if you think about it.

Considering the idea of a from of the Divine that is omnipotent and omnipresent nothing would be strange or contradicting about the idea of a Multiverse. After all if God or the Divine, is worthy of such names/titles then it operates on a scale far, far beyond that of us "mere mortals". In fact I'd say denying the posibility of a Multiverse on the grounds of religion would be blasphemous at the very least in the Abrahamic religions, since I don't think it's quite in accordance with scripture to deny that "Yahweh" could create whatever "he" wants, including a Multiverse.

The part where it would get difficult is if someone believes in a "Sky-Daddy" who sits up in the sky on a cloud and continuously watches everyone to punish and reward them according to their deeds. And even then, an omnipotent form of the Divine could still do that  even on a multiversal scale, after all, if something is everywhere and at any time, it can also observe and act everywhere and at any time at once.   

That is a good point. Although then they would probably have to ask is Jesus going to each Universe dying for everybody's sins? Although I am sure the church would make something up to keep their flock.:lol: Yea it might be hard for the sky daddy to answer prayers in other universes.:lol:

• Like 2

I just find it amusing to see "science" eventually boil down to a belief system that essentially has the same hard proof that any religion has had for eons, namely, speculation at the unobservable.  Whereas most religious theologies are based on witness testimony of some divine transference of knowledge at the limits of observable reality, science is now creating a theology (i.e. theories of the unknowable) based on the limits of its own observable limitations of reality.  In the end it's the same attempt to rationally explain the limits of our own ability to perceive reality outside our own universe's observational constraints.  In a sense, both modern religion and science's newest theories in quantum mechanics (i.e. multiverse) essentially have the same foundation as an attempt to explain the unknown, and I don't know which is a more reliable truth.  A scientific theory created out of the imagination of the human mind which is unobservable under scientific protocols or a theology created out of witness testimony of a human being claiming to have interacted with a divine presence.  If you believe in either, you are essentially believing by faith and either one is just as provable as the other.  Even some pretty high profile physicists have said the same thing so it's something to think about if you have problems with belief in a theology.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Well it stands to reason that there must be something beyond or outside our universe. So other universes in some sort of...inter-universal...

I've studied physics for 40+ years and still can't get my brain around the vastness of this universe, without trying to imagine an infinite number of parallel universes all superimposed but never interacting. 

Our planet is quite big compared to you or me.  The solar system is vastly bigger.  Our galaxy is huge beyond real comprehension (100 000 light years across) and it's just the tiniest speck in the tiniest corner of one tiny part of the visible universe.  Note that 'visible' term - there could be an even bigger something out there that we're merrily expanding into.  

14 hours ago, Brother_Spirit said:

You said it, Brother!  There isn't any evidence, nor will there ever be.  If there was any way that even an infinitely small fraction of an infinite number of parallel universes could interact with and affect ours (i.e. be detectable), then (as there are many types of infinity) an infinite number would constantly impact on this one and we'd be measuring them everywhere.  We'd be constantly zipping from one to the next to the next, and think how awkward that would become if you're trying to get home for your tea?

Actually - some physicists try to speculate that particles or energy might leak between universes, and this might explain things like (insert your list here: dark matter, dark energy, consciousness, the Loch Ness Monster).  But there is a massive flaw in this thinking.  If stuff only flowed into our universe it would quickly (instantly) fill up with matter at infinite density and infinite temperature.  So an exactly equal amount of stuff must leave here at exactly the same time.  In other words - this universe stays exactly the same.

I shall now sit back and wait for the stream of vitriol from 'real' physicists screaming at me for dissing their latest pet theories!

9 hours ago, Noxasa said:

I just find it amusing to see "science" eventually boil down to a belief system that essentially has the same hard proof that any religion has had for eons, namely, speculation at the unobservable.  Whereas most religious theologies are based on witness testimony of some divine transference of knowledge at the limits of observable reality, science is now creating a theology (i.e. theories of the unknowable) based on the limits of its own observable limitations of reality.  In the end it's the same attempt to rationally explain the limits of our own ability to perceive reality outside our own universe's observational constraints.  In a sense, both modern religion and science's newest theories in quantum mechanics (i.e. multiverse) essentially have the same foundation as an attempt to explain the unknown, and I don't know which is a more reliable truth.  A scientific theory created out of the imagination of the human mind which is unobservable under scientific protocols or a theology created out of witness testimony of a human being claiming to have interacted with a divine presence.  If you believe in either, you are essentially believing by faith and either one is just as provable as the other.  Even some pretty high profile physicists have said the same thing so it's something to think about if you have problems with belief in a theology.

Well put. I am almost positive that it has to do with the frailty of man. Look at Stephen Hawking, a genius, yet he postulated then proved mathematically his theory about black holes. Was there an observation made? No, so his whole theory could be absolutely and without question wrong. Much of the theoretical stuff going on right now is just that theory, proven to a point but could be entirely wrong. Yet we are forced to build our bridges on pylons that we imagine are there.  I believe they said that Hawking's last words were 'We live in the Matrix'? Could it be his lack of faith in religion only lead his mind to cling to faith of another kind, faith in technology and science? That mans mind must have been made of absolute steel being confined to a wheel chair barely moving for most of his life, and yet in the end, he returned to faith? Because the absolute horror that everything that he was would be turned into nothing? That all we create is irrelevant? Eventually even the wealthiest man on earth who has built empires will cease to exist. What a horrible end.

I have thought about this existence, hell all existence, the concept of nothing and of something and all of it feels like we are all being taken for a ride.I am waiting for someone to jump from behind the curtain and say... HEY! DID YOU LOVE THE RIDE AS MUCH AS I HAD FUN MAKING IT?! To which I would respond in a weaponized and blistering 'HELL NO!'

18 hours ago, Truthseeker007 said:

That is funny!! A Christian asking for evidence.:lol: Yea a multiverse might throw the religions off a bit.

Did you know that that there are scientists who are christians? The two are not mutually exclusive.

Science is the study of the natural world. A multiverse isn't part of the natural world at this point, only the imagination.

Edited by Brother_Spirit
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Brother_Spirit said:

Do they have evidence of a Multiverse in the first place?

No, other discoveries have led to this hypothesis. 

Because all I see right now is unprovable speculation. That's not science.

Its a hypothesis, not outright speculation, but for all intents and purposes it might as well be. We can't evidence it as yet. Some thought we had evidence, that was scrutinised and discarded. 

That's science.

It's currently a hypothesis, that is being formed into theory, if it makes it to scientific theory  and of that can then be evidenced, then it will be science. Right now it's not. Nobody is claiming so and that's why physics is divided over the proposition. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Brother_Spirit said:

Did you know that that there are scientists who are christians? The two are not mutually exclusive.

Science is the study of the natural world. A multiverse isn't part of the natural world at this point, only the imagination.

A scam or cult can suck in anybody whether they are scientist or not. Not to mention I don't agree with a lot of mainstream science. I think that is quite dogmatic also.

10 minutes ago, Truthseeker007 said:

A scam or cult can suck in anybody whether they are scientist or not. Not to mention I don't agree with a lot of mainstream science. I think that is quite dogmatic also.

I don't agree on mainstream science, but I do agree that a person's persuasion on a personal journey is irrelevant to discovery. People embrace religion for many reasons, it doesn't mean they are all fanatical about it as our acquaintance here appears, some just find it a good moral compass. But Brother Spirit is rather comfortable with that broad brush he carries around. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

Its a hypothesis, not outright speculation, but for all intents and purposes it might as well be. We can't evidence it as yet. Some thought we had evidence, that was scrutinised and discarded. 

That's science.

It's untestable and unprovable. That's why many physicists don't really consider the ''Multiverse hypothesis'' as science.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

I don't agree on mainstream science, but I do agree that a person's persuasion on a personal journey is irrelevant to discovery. People embrace religion for many reasons, it doesn't mean they are all fanatical about it as our acquaintance here appears, some just find it a good moral compass. But Brother Spirit is rather comfortable with that broad brush he carries around. 

Well said! I do like to add though that I do thank mainstream science for taking a lot of power from the church and religion. We may still be in the dark ages if it wasn't for some of the mainstream thinkers.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Brother_Spirit said:

It's untestable and unprovable. That's why many physicists don't really consider the ''Multiverse hypothesis'' as science.

That's what I said. 

Is-there-an.jpg

• Haha 2

That's what I said. 

Is-there-an.jpg

So do you agree that whether or not a ''Multiverse'' is hospitable for life is pure speculation, and not real science?

Edited by Brother_Spirit
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Truthseeker007 said:

Well said! I do like to add though that I do thank mainstream science for taking a lot of power from the church and religion. We may still be in the dark ages if it wasn't for some of the mainstream thinkers.

I can meet you halfway there, I do accept science has its limitations, like 

Where is my bloody hover board!!!! How long ago was back to the future now???? 

:)

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Brother_Spirit said:

So do you agree that whether or not a ''Multiverse'' is hospitable for life is pure speculation, and not real science?

No can you read at all? I stated all this in my post. Its a hypothesis. Do you know what that means? Other discoveries led some experts in this field down this path. Someone didn't wake up and go 'ohh how cool would a Multiverse be?' it's based on limited information. It's not just totally made up like ohh I don't know, God or something equally silly. 

Are you picking up what I'm putting down here? Or are you starting with a conclusion again? 

• Like 2

I can meet you halfway there, I do accept science has its limitations, like 

Where is my bloody hover board!!!! How long ago was back to the future now???? 

:)

Thanks! A hover board would be pretty awesome! I don't blame science in itself also but I do think some entities of power hold it back. Such as there is no reason why we can't have free energy right now. But you can't make money off of free energy.

• Like 1