Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Piney

Native American Teens Campus Reality

69 posts in this topic

Piney

I use to have so many problems because of my long hair. I was always mistaken for a Metal Head or dope fiend....:mellow:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/teens-experience-shows-campus-reality-for-native-americans/ar-AAxcTCW

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Shiloh

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — The teenage brothers — both shy and Native American — had just entered a recreation center on a tour of their dream university when a parent in the group stepped away to call 911.

"Their behavior is just really odd," she said from the Colorado State University campus. "They won't give their names .... They just really stand out."

They should sue that woman. Just because she didn't like what she saw, or they refused to give their names gave her no right violate their sanctity like she did.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

OverSword
1 hour ago, Piney said:

I use to have so many problems because of my long hair. I was always mistaken for a Metal Head or dope fiend....:mellow:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/teens-experience-shows-campus-reality-for-native-americans/ar-AAxcTCW

So what's your problem with metal heads?  Are you racist against us?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Piney
8 minutes ago, OverSword said:

So what's your problem with metal heads?  Are you racist against us?

:lol:

papageorge1

If they wouldn't give their names at a campus tour setting I can see how that can be considered odd and suspicious. I would agree that is acting oddly. Some parents have a greater sensitivity to that than others. Perhaps it was an overreaction but in today's heightened climate of terrorism and school shootings some people might rather be safe than sorry. So, the police were called, everything got settled, and that's that. 

I think today's media thrives on racially controversial stories at the cost of causing heightened tensions and causing future incidents like this.

• Like 2

OverSword

Gods I hate people like that woman.  I was once talking to a cab driver who was driving me home from the bar and he told me he was that he was in the parking lot of a local hospital that has a beautiful view of Elliot Bay and West Seattle and was taking pictures of the sunset the evening before.  Some woman saw him and called the police to report that there was a suspicious man that was taking pictures and maybe he was terrorist planning an attack.  She gave his cab number to the cops and they tracked him down and had his dispatcher call him back to the barn where he was questioned for a couple of hours.  The guy was American and of Mexican descent so she of course naturally assumed he was a middle eastern Muslim here to kill and destroy the USA.

• Like 6

Piney
Just now, travelnjones said:

Have you tried Heavy Metal? Heavy Metal is always there for you.

Harder, faster better is my motto. I was listening to Ministry when people thought Blackmore's Rainbow was hard. 

• Like 4

XenoFish
5 minutes ago, travelnjones said:

Have you tried Heavy Metal? Heavy Metal is always there for you.

10-best-heavy-metal-memes-9.jpg

• Haha 7

travelnjones
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Piney said:

Harder, faster better is my motto. I was listening to Ministry when people thought Blackmore's Rainbow was hard. 

MinistryWithSympathy.jpg

Edited by travelnjones
forgot text cuz i'm dumb
  • Haha 1

travelnjones

Here give this a try 

• Like 2

Piney
10 minutes ago, travelnjones said:

Here give this a try 

I'm burned out on them. Jammed them in the 90s. :sleepy:

:lol:

• Like 2

travelnjones

weird

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Likely Guy
1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

If they wouldn't give their names at a campus tour setting I can see how that can be considered odd and suspicious. I would agree that is acting oddly. Some parents have a greater sensitivity to that than others. Perhaps it was an overreaction but in today's heightened climate of terrorism and school shootings some people might rather be safe than sorry. So, the police were called, everything got settled, and that's that. 

I think today's media thrives on racially controversial stories at the cost of causing heightened tensions and causing future incidents like this.

On the contrary, actually bringing to light stories like these might help them from getting repeated in the future.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OverSword

Well I know this is not on topic but since everyone else is doing it.......

• Like 2

travelnjones

I am reminded of that Cherokee song by Europe ugh, not fantastic.  Its funny how many time Indians became a topic of metal.  Thin Lizzy, Maiden, Anthrax.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sir Wearer of Hats
3 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Because they wouldn’t give their names to some random woman, it was justifiably suspicious? 

• Like 5

papageorge1
6 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Because they wouldn’t give their names to some random woman, it was justifiably suspicious? 

We each judge that from our own subjective evaluation of all the input. And we weren’t there. Was any terrible harm going to come from checking it out further?

So, one person may have been way on the cautious side. International news? I see it more as just part and parcel of an ongoing media effort to get attention for the theme du jour of ‘bad white people victimizing poor mistreated minorities’. That’s so far from the REAL America I see everyday and such an overblown response to this teeny event.

• Like 1

Sir Wearer of Hats
31 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

We each judge that from our own subjective evaluation of all the input. And we weren’t there. Was any terrible harm going to come from checking it out further?

So, one person may have been way on the cautious side. International news? I see it more as just part and parcel of an ongoing media effort to get attention for the theme du jour of ‘bad white people victimizing poor mistreated minorities’. That’s so far from the REAL America I see everyday and such an overblown response to this teeny event.

Yes, the real America is that if you don’t want to give your name, you’re free to do so without having the police callee to bully you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

aztek

was it a random woman? or someone who worked at the camp, i can't see it from the article.

papageorge1
9 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Yes, the real America is that if you don’t want to give your name, you’re free to do so without having the police callee to bully you.

It's the REAL America that allows people to call the police for what they judge to be suspicious situations. And some (I'm not even sure in this case) might call unnecessarily. Happens! Police must then do their jobs professionally. Happened!

Why try to stoke this into more and further the sense of racial tension in the country? Oh, because it helps news ratings and advertising revenue.

• Like 1

Paranormal Panther
5 hours ago, Piney said:

I listen to Judas Priest and/or Metallica when I'm in a metal mood. I'm not a "head", but I dig the genre. I'm not a huge fan of the hard rock (#not all) that came out after 9/11, though. YMMV, but it's like they combined the worst aspects of grunge with the worst aspects of metal.

• Like 2

Piney
4 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

I listen to Judas Priest and/or Metallica when I'm in a metal mood. I'm not a "head", but I dig the genre. I'm not a huge fan of the hard rock (#not all) that came out after 9/11, though. YMMV, but it's like they combined the worst aspects of grunge with the worst aspects of metal.

I listen to everything but that new country. Because it's not.

• Like 1

Paranormal Panther
Just now, Piney said:

I listen to everything but that new country. Because it's not.

I like a few token artists and token songs in the bro' country genre. It pales in comparison to the older stuff. My parents' era was great. You can remember the old tunes for years while the new tunes are forgotten just as soon as the song finishes.

• Like 2

travelnjones

My parents tortured me with country when i was a kid, it was like something out of clockwork orange.  Long rides in the central valley of California where we would never stop.  My bladder hurts whenever I hear Conway Twitty; but my dad just wouldn't stop.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2