Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dems worried, no blue wave

F3SS

I thought that blue wave nonsense months ago was just that, nonsense. It had the same feeling of unfounded confidence as the 2016 election did. Just a lot of hubris backed by hate. Anyways, stemming off of the sentiment of the Trump frees NK prisoners thread, I just happened upon this... 

https://apple.news/ASPLl-Ge8S_yg4O-PEcK_Wg

After months of confidence that public discontent with President Trump would lift Democrats back to power in Congress, some party leaders are fretting that their advantages in this year’s midterms are eroding amid a shifting political landscape.
Driving their concerns are Trump’s approval rating, which has ticked upward in recent weeks, and high Republican turnout in some recent primaries, suggesting the GOP base remains energized. What’s more, Republicans stand to benefit politically from a thriving economy and are choosing formidable candidates to take on vulnerable Democratic senators.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I was going to mention that myself.

Until "they" can run on something more than "Never Trump" and raising taxes, they have a real problem.

Blue wave? :lol:

More like a Red Tide!

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Considering this source is the Washington Post things must be really bad.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Republicans might get one more midterm of gaining numbers, after that things will do as they always do and the other side will start winning again.

• Like 2

Liberalism, in general, is just losing it's appeal to the center of the country.  The media is helping that along.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Wickian said:

Republicans might get one more midterm of gaining numbers, after that things will do as they always do and the other side will start winning again.

If Trump continues to shake things up and the Republicans don't get full of themselves, it'll take more than another midterm.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Faustus said:

Liberalism, in general, is just losing it's appeal to the center of the country.  The media is helping that along.  

I'm noticing that all the local democratic candidates are doubling down and out-right identifying themselves as Progressives (at least during the primaries).  That will only appeal to the base's base and that number is dwindling.  But I wonder how much that will change for the midterms?  They are going to have to appeal to all the rest that are not Progressives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, .ZZ. said:

I was going to mention that myself.

Until "they" can run on something more than "Never Trump" and raising taxes, they have a real problem.

Blue wave? :lol:

More like a Red Tide!

And a yellow trickle runs down their legs each time they lose a race. Maybe they can blue wave goodbye to any hopes of taking back the majority.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

We shall see, there is still a lot that can happen between now and midterms. Price of gas is about to go sky high again. That blame is going to fall right in Trump's lap

• Like 2

Gas price fluctuations have been standard since Bush was in office. I remember it going over $4.20 after Katrina and but was $1.80 or so when Bush left office. I don’t think that’s ever going to change no matter who is in charge. Not unless we become energy independent.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

We shall see, there is still a lot that can happen between now and midterms. Price of gas is about to go sky high again. That blame is going to fall right in Trump's lap

Price of Gallon of Gas Up 96% Under Obama

According to EIA data, the average price of a gallon of regular unleaded gasoline in the United States was $1.838 on Jan. 19, 2009--the day before Obama took office. As of Monday, Feb. 11, 2013, the per-gallon price had risen to an average of $3.611--an increase of 96 percent.

The $3.677 is not the highest gas prices have been under President Obama. That record was reached the week of May 9, 2011 when they averaged $3.965 per gallon.

Source

....and I have a prediction on replies to follow:

"Obama isn't POTUS any more!"

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hell i don't watch a whole lotta tv,but find it interesting Roseanne has just started back with absolutely insane numbers in the ratings while being pro Trump...and recently Tim Allens show Last Man Standing was just revived after being cancelled shortly after him speaking out about the state of the democratic party,even though his show at the time was the 2nd highest rated comedy on ABC...

Is it the 80's again... :whistle: :lol:

• Like 6

3 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

I'm noticing that all the local democratic candidates are doubling down and out-right identifying themselves as Progressives (at least during the primaries).  That will only appeal to the base's base and that number is dwindling.  But I wonder how much that will change for the midterms?  They are going to have to appeal to all the rest that are not Progressives.

I've noticed this aswell...

3rd party people such as myself will not vote for ANYONE based off of "agree that my side is right 100% of the time or to hell with you" politics!

• Like 4

I wonder, has an incumbent president ever ran uncontested? 

• Like 1

So ostracizing people with MAGA hats and publicly shaming any one who endorses Trump (Kanye West,) is turning people off the Democratic party? You mean the average American is tired of anti-Trump rants on every late night program? Are you telling me people with a working brain can see the double standard in Nobel Prize nominations?

I thought this was all glaringly obvious a year ago: you can't run the "fugg Trump" train at full speed for 4 years. Americans don't have that kind of attention span and when they realize the country has not exploded and actually happens to be doing better under Trump, they are going to start questioning the narrative. The Liberal media has overplayed their hand. If they had trickled anti-Trump stories here and there, they could have slowly grown a resistance leading up to the next election. But like most of their plans, they focused on short term gain with no thought for future consequences. Lesson learned for the DNC? Probably not. They are 8 ft below ground and they still won't put down the shovel....they just grit their teeth and mumble something about "Drumpf" and "Cheetos". 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Today is election day here in PA. Wow! Can you see the split in the Democratic party! Our District Attorney is running for the Senate. He has been our Democratic DA since 1991. Incredible how many people are calling him a Republican. He's actually a moderate Democrat. And they're calling for the head of a woman Democrat who has been our State Senator since 1998 because she endorses him. We know him as a good DA in spite of all the campaign smears, which all candidates go through, including Clinton and Sanders.

The party is fighting a battle with itself. Many Democrats don't agree with Trump but a way liberal idealism isn't in their cards either. Pennsylvanians are known Democrats, but they aren't California Democrats. I think we saw that in the Presidential Election with numerous states that should have never gone red. 

Edited by susieice
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, susieice said:

Today is election day here in PA. Wow! Can you see the split in the Democratic party! Our District Attorney is running for the Senate. He has been our Democratic DA since 1991. Incredible how many people are calling him a Republican. He's actually a moderate Democrat. And they're calling for the head of a woman Democrat who has been our State Senator since 1998 because she endorses him. We know him as a good DA in spite of all the campaign smears, which all candidates go through, including Clinton and Sanders.

The party is fighting a battle with itself. Many Democrats don't agree with Trump but a way liberal idealism isn't in their cards either. Pennsylvanians are known Democrats, but they aren't California Democrats. I think we saw that in the Presidential Election with numerous states that should have never gone red. 

They could have avoided all of this if they hadn't redefined "Conservative" as "EVERYTHING to the right of our position". When they should have been unifying their party, they cut it in half by forcing out all the moderates. The DNC only welcomes extremists, apparently. (DNC RIP)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

They could have avoided all of this if they hadn't redefined "Conservative" as "EVERYTHING to the right of our position". When they should have been unifying their party, they cut it in half by forcing out all the moderates. The DNC only welcomes extremists, apparently. (DNC RIP)

I don't think this party has been this split since right before the Civil War when the southern Democrats split from the north. If you are old enough (or maybe you can ask your parents or your grandparents) you know they remained southern Democrats and made sure everyone knew they were southern Democrats well into the 1960's. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, F3SS said:

I wonder, has an incumbent president ever ran uncontested? 

Did Eisenhower run uncontested during WW2?

1 minute ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Did Eisenhower run uncontested during WW2?

Eisenhower ran after WWII. He ran against Democrat Stevenson in 1952.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, susieice said:

Eisenhower ran after WWII. He ran against Democrat Stevenson in 1952.

You’re right, I meant Roosevelt.

5 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

You’re right, I meant Roosevelt.

Had to check that one. No. He was opposed by Dewey. Later, Dewey would be infamously and incorrectly declared winner over Truman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1944

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewey_Defeats_Truman

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, CrimsonKing said:

Hell i don't watch a whole lotta tv,but find it interesting Roseanne has just started back with absolutely insane numbers in the ratings while being pro Trump...and recently Tim Allens show Last Man Standing was just revived after being cancelled shortly after him speaking out about the state of the democratic party,even though his show at the time was the 2nd highest rated comedy on ABC...

Is it the 80's again... :whistle: :lol:

I'd settle for the '90s. It was a great decade for sitcoms ("Frasier", "Seinfeld", "Friends", "Roseanne"), and the late night talk show hosts weren't political propagandists. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1