Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

'Memory transplant' achieved in snails

7 posts in this topic

Still Waters

Memory transfer has been at the heart of science fiction for decades, but it's becoming more like science fact.

A team successfully transplanted memories by transferring a form of genetic information called RNA from one snail into another.

The snails were trained to develop a defensive reaction.

When the RNA was inserted into snails that had not undergone this process, they behaved just as if they had been sensitised.

The research, published in the journal eNeuro, could provide new clues in the search for the physical basis of memory.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44111476

• Like 1

Carlos Allende
Posted (edited)

Sacre bleu!

Edited by Carlos Allende

CloudSix

But can't it be that the slugs who received RNA reacted in the way they did because they already experienced touching when they had the RNA transplated in the first place?

bison

RNA is already known to be able to transfer genetic information from one place to another within a living organism. It doesn't seem too surprising that it might also be capable of storing very simple acquired 'memories', like those described in the linked article. It still seems likely that more complex memories are retained in the neuronal synapses, as physiologist believe. 

pallidin

So, RNA (as opposed to DNA) might be responsible for what we commonly think of as "instinct"?

I can believe that, because "instinct"  must have some clear biological mechanism, and RNA seems able.

• Like 1

paperdyer

Didn't someone do this with mice a number of years ago?  Maybe I'm just remembering a SciFi flim.  So the Snails/Slugs were "trained"  Can I train the scientists in the same manor that don't have any children, and see how the kids react later?

Calibeliever

Makes me think of the Bene Gesserit in Dune.