Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Still Waters

A school has been criticised after a live caged tiger was unveiled to Florida students at their prom.

Christopher Columbus High School in Miami hosted its jungle-themed prom at a Hilton hotel on Friday.

Concerns for the tiger's welfare have been growing on social media, with thousands of people taking to Twitter, Facebook and Reddit.

The school principal has apologised for causing offence, saying he has learned from the experience.

One student's sister, Mari-Cris Castellanos, posted a video on Facebook of the caged tiger at the event.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-44114544

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

In this day and age of people being "offended" at every conceivable thing, the principal should have known this wasn't a good idea.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Vilasarius said:

In this day and age of people being "offended" at every conceivable thing, the principal should have known this wasn't a good idea.

I read this the other day and was so p***ed off they did this I couldn't post it without getting greasy and having our Matron Mods elder me.

• Like 1

Damn what kind of prom budget were they working with? At my prom is was mostly volunteers and decorations from the supply closet. This school got a live jungle cat?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Vilasarius said:

In this day and age of people being "offended" at every conceivable thing

Its not a good example (the article) for this statement in my opinion...Im easily offended by people continuing to do this. Caging a tiger is vile as far as Im concerned and shouldnt be allowed

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, khol said:

Its not a good example (the article) for this statement in my opinion...Im easily offended by people continuing to do this. Caging a tiger is vile as far as Im concerned and shouldnt be allowed

I don't agree with caged animals either in any day or age. I was just saying regardless, he had to know there would be fallout.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Vilasarius said:

I don't agree with caged animals either in any day or age. I was just saying regardless, he had to know there would be fallout.

yeah right on I thought so     I get bothered by stories like this!  :)   who would think its cool ?

https://www.peta.org/features/big-cats-lions-tigers-circus/

I like to think the practice of parading animals around in unnatural enviorments for our own amusement is becoming unacceptable. That principle needs a lesson himself!..what a crappy example hes setting for the kids    :wacko:

• Like 1

Probably not a good idea.   I don't have as strong of feelings about it as most though.  

The local store in town has chickens, rabbits and such in cages and I've never given it a second thought.    I would agree that it isn't a great life for them.  

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Probably not a good idea.   I don't have as strong of feelings about it as most though.  

The local store in town has chickens, rabbits and such in cages and I've never given it a second thought.    I would agree that it isn't a great life for them.  

There is a distinction between chickens and rabbits and that of a tiger. Tigers are large wild carnivores. There very nature requires they have large habitats to roam and hunt there prey.Chickens and rabbits are not wild predators and they seem perfectly well adjusted contained behind cages. Comparing these animals doesnt seem accurate. Schools should be showing info like this instead  https://www.bioexplorer.net/why-are-tigers-endangered.html/   

..but after all that Im sure the cat doesnt spend much time in cage. Hope thats the case anyway

1 hour ago, khol said:

There is a distinction between chickens and rabbits and that of a tiger. Tigers are large wild carnivores. There very nature requires they have large habitats to roam and hunt there prey.Chickens and rabbits are not wild predators and they seem perfectly well adjusted contained behind cages. Comparing these animals doesnt seem accurate. Schools should be showing info like this instead  https://www.bioexplorer.net/why-are-tigers-endangered.html/   

..but after all that Im sure the cat doesnt spend much time in cage. Hope thats the case anyway

I agree.  

• Like 1